Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

RED Helium 8K DxOMark Sensor Score: 108 — A new all-time-high score!

Awesome that DxO included this in their benchmark testing.

It would be interesting to hear if IPP2 would impact their scoring.

AJ

They're looking at the sensor rather than the image processing.

Graeme
 
Congratulations! I've been getting mind-blowing images from my EPIC-W and this just confirms why! So happy with my purchase.

Interesting though that they rated the native ISO as 140...
 
Last edited:
As I said...Helium is magic...

Congrats guys...

The fun has just begun.
 
Congratulations! I've been getting mind-blowing images from my EPIC-W and this just confirms why! So happy with my purchase.

Interesting though that they rated the native ISO as 140...

There is still much, much confusion in this world regarding Base ISO and Native ISO, which are two alarmingly different things and values.

Native ISO = The sensor's Linear Light measured sensitivity.

Base ISO = The approximate value of where you have equal stops (usable stops) below and above 18% Gray for your given Gamma Space/Curve.
 
There is still much, much confusion in this world regarding Base ISO and Native ISO, which are two alarmingly different things and values.

Native ISO = The sensor's Linear Light measured sensitivity.

Base ISO = The approximate value of where you have equal stops (usable stops) below and above 18% Gray for your given Gamma Space/Curve.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the explanation, that clears things up for me a lot. It was a bit odd to me that they rated it like that, because I feel like the Helium native ISO is way more than 140, because I had to use 6+ stops of ND at times to stop the right goalpost and traffic lights from lighting up when shooting outdoors at Zion last week, even at f/8.

I could be doing this totally wrong though, I'm still learning my way around a Red camera.
 
The guesswork:

Since the Helium has a much higher SNR than the Sony sensor despite its smaller pixels, it would need a significantly higher QE to achieve those results – something beyond the commonly understood limits of physics.

These factors make us suspect that there is some type of noise reduction happening in the RED system to provide such high-quality “RAW” images.

Whatever noise reduction system RED employs creating the RAW images from the Helium sensor, its presence means that we aren’t measuring just the RED sensor,(...)

Our only caveat is that the Helium 8K sensor appears to benefit from some noise reduction to enhance its RAW image quality.

We can likely explain the Helium 8K’s improvement over our previous top scorer, RED’s own Dragon, by a combination of both better sensor technology and temporal noise reduction.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
 
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the explanation, that clears things up for me a lot. It was a bit odd to me that they rated it like that, because I feel like the Helium native ISO is way more than 140, because I had to use 6+ stops of ND at times to stop the right goalpost and traffic lights from lighting up when shooting outdoors at Zion last week, even at f/8.

I could be doing this totally wrong though, I'm still learning my way around a Red camera.

Yep, the key thing here is understanding and examining Linear Light. Which is not something we do when shooting really.


Your Base ISO is actually in the 1280-1600 range in reality with Helium.
 
Congrats to every one at RED! Really great job and quite the achievement! This really doesn't surprise me at all. I'm beyond impressed with what I can get out of my Epic-W.
 
Yep, the key thing here is understanding and examining Linear Light. Which is not something we do when shooting really.


Your Base ISO is actually in the 1280-1600 range in reality with Helium.

Ah got it. Thank you!
 
Wooooohoooooo
 
I started a thread on this mister....

haha it's all good! I guess it's all about priorities. I need to cancel some orders and just invest in some projects. No need for more media anymore. Too bad my AMEX doesn't have price protection. (at least I couldn't find it in the fine print) :)
 
Back
Top