Thread: foolcontrol - For Android Released!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 foolcontrol - For Android Released! 
    It's 2018, we have holographic smartphones, jetpacks, flying cars, and now foolcontrol for Android!

Looks like Mikael buttoned up and released foolcontrol to the masses for Android.

I've you've got a RED DSMC2 body in particular, this app is super nice to have as it controls all of your settings wirelessly and coming soon, wired.

link: foolcontrol on the Google Play Store

Basic Wireless foolcontrol Tutorial

On your RED DSMC2 Camera
    - Go To: Menu>Settings>Setup>Communications>Wifi
    - Ensure that Mode is set to Ad-Hoc

On your RED Hydrogen One or any Android Device
    - Swipe down from top of screen and go Settings>Wifi
    - You should see your DSMC2 camera on the list, connect to it

*Note foolcontrol now works on a rather inexpensive license basis to help with current future development costs. A camera needs to be licensed to be used with the app. It is available in 1 month, 1 year, and 2 year subscriptions. Literally costs pennies a day.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I want to go to there...
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Awesome!!!

Do we know if Hydrogen One will be able to control DSMC2 without Fool Control? Or will we still need to buy a license.

I get the need for a subscription model to fund ongoing development, but this is going to be a bit of a tough sell for me. I've either gotta convince the Red owners and rental houses I know to license their cameras so that me and the tiny fraction of ACs/DPs/DITs on Android can use foolcontrol, or shell out hundreds of dollars a year so that I can control the several cameras I would work with on a regular basis. Probably cheaper to buy an old iPhone and the $170 iOS app.

I wonder what led to this licensing model vs a subscription per user.

Awesome!
    Red Epic-W/Red Epic-MX
    Filmaker, Software Technical Architect & Serial Entrepreneur

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Marshall View Post
    I get the need for a subscription model to fund ongoing development, but this is going to be a bit of a tough sell for me. I've either gotta convince the Red owners and rental houses I know to license their cameras so that me and the tiny fraction of ACs/DPs/DITs on Android can use foolcontrol, or shell out hundreds of dollars a year so that I can control the several cameras I would work with on a regular basis. Probably cheaper to buy an old iPhone and the $170 iOS app.

I wonder what led to this licensing model vs a subscription per user.
    Main motivation was the lack of security regarding app deploy on Android devices and broader possibilities to offer appropriate licenses outside of a closed store...

Apple put limitations to how apps can be distributed (no per camera license possible with their store model like I had on OS X) but they do offer better protection for developers once an app is sold...

Renting the app for a single project, or using it on multiple devices when you own a camera were frequently asked for options...

I decided to offer those and added the ability to control the camera thru a wire which was (almost) impossible on iOS due to some Apple Store limitations preventing distribution of such app... so there are some differences between foolcontrol on Android vs iOS vs OS X flavours.

I may consider adding multicam options to the licensing on Android if that's a recurrent request... but it will be tricky to manage if everyone gets a new phone every year and require to move the license to their new device.... also those device may only connect to closed camera wifi networks making licensing control much harder.

Regarding ongoing development funding, all my apps (except foolcat after 6 years) always had free upgrades... but this model (which is the case of the iOS app) has a caveat :
    once everyone owns a popular app on a niche market no one pays for the app anymore and the developer will simply stop doing it if he wants to keep putting food on the table...

People who got the app in 2014 can still use it today with their latest cameras, no matter how many time they upgraded or how many camera they used it with... that's fine for everyone as long as I can continue to add new features for IPP2, Gemini etc

No one is forced to buy the Android version... iOS app will still be updated like before so no problem if current licensing system works better for you.

While a simple camera cable with no special features easily costs more than this app, some people will always think software should cost nothing because it's immaterial and you're only getting 0 and 1... but they need to be arranged in the right way and
    you can ask anyone who knows me ... I do not spare my time or efforts to make all this work as smoothly as possible for all you guys... but that's just a tool that you are free to use and support or not.
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Main motivation was the lack of security regarding app deploy on Android devices and broader possibilities to offer appropriate licenses outside of a closed store...

Apple put limitations to how apps can be distributed (no per camera license possible with their store model like I had on OS X) but they do offer better protection for developers once an app is sold...
    I figured that was a part of it - Android has much more piracy than iOS. The app being free with a licensing model makes sense in that environment.

Renting the app for a single project, or using it on multiple devices when you own a camera were frequently asked for options...

I decided to offer those and added the ability to control the camera thru a wire which was (almost) impossible on iOS due to some Apple Store limitations preventing distribution of such app... so there are some differences between foolcontrol on Android vs iOS vs OS X flavours.
    The wired mode is definitely super-interesting to me. Looking forward to the cable going up for sale!

I may consider adding multicam options to the licensing on Android if that's a recurrent request... but it will be tricky to manage if everyone gets a new phone every year and require to move the license to their new device.... also those device may only connect to closed camera wifi networks making licensing control much harder.

Regarding ongoing development funding, all my apps (except foolcat after 6 years) always had free upgrades... but this model (which is the case of the iOS app) has a caveat :
    once everyone owns a popular app on a niche market no one pays for the app anymore and the developer will simply stop doing it if he wants to keep putting food on the table...

People who got the app in 2014 can still use it today with their latest cameras, no matter how many time they upgraded or how many camera they used it with... that's fine for everyone as long as I can continue to add new features for IPP2, Gemini etc

No one is forced to buy the Android version... iOS app will still be updated like before so no problem if current licensing system works better for you.

While a simple camera cable with no special features easily costs more than this app, some people will always think software should cost nothing because it's immaterial and you're only getting 0 and 1... but they need to be arranged in the right way and
    you can ask anyone who knows me ... I do not spare my time or efforts to make all this work as smoothly as possible for all you guys... but that's just a tool that you are free to use and support or not.
    Yeah, I certainly appreciate the complexity of choosing the best pricing method - there's no easy answer. The iOS-style single payment isn't viable in the niche-of-a-niche market of Android-wielding camera people, especially with the risk of piracy on Android. And I appreciate the hypothetical benefits of this model - if I could convince rental houses and owners to license their cameras, anyone with an Android device would be able to utilize foolcontrol on a shoot (not just me).

The personal calculus for me just becomes difficult if that pitch falls flat - there's probably 6+ individual Red cameras I can expect to encounter pretty regularly. So that's roughly $150+ monthly or $500 annually for me to keep those cameras licensed, plus whatever odd additional cameras I run into. I've got to compare that to around $400 for a used iPhone 6s and a foolcontrol iOS license to control any camera I come across indefinitely.

I think it's priced really well for camera owners - and I'll probably end up at least licensing one camera I work with the most. But I'm sure I'm not the only AC who's gonna have to crunch the numbers to see if it's worth footing everyone's camera license or just buy an iOS device.

Thanks for responding - I'm really excited to finally have foolcontrol on Android

Thanks for your reply... useful to understand all use cases and try to offer a good solution for everyone.

Maybe I also need to add cheaper / shorter durations for small projects for those who rent a different cameras each time for a few days only.... then you could use foolcontrol for the price of a coffee or two...

My whole plan also includes the idea of having that same license work with iOS device with a free app so everyone can really use it on any device...
    now that netflix, spotify and others use this model of licenses sold outside of the app stores and user can use it on any device easily sooner than later...

FWIW I just added 3 days and 10 days activation options... for short term projects / rentals.

Also for 1 year and 2 years, get in touch before purchasing if you need to be able to use the same camera on iOS.
    The rental house foolcontrol subscription with custom camera icon can now support both iOS (foolcontrol-r 5 USD) and Android (free) apps...

Awesome! I think those really round out the options.