Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Red Epic Dragon #5232 "Kozmo" - Los Angeles

Phil,

Thank you for taking the time to share so much valuable info. Looking forward to seeing more of our tests!

Do you know if there will be any negative effects using to using my Formatt IRND Filters on the Dragon sensor?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #84
Long and the short of it is if you want the best pure color performance out of Dragon, regular NDs are the way to go.

I have also invested in Hot Mirror/Combo Filters and IRNDs in my "MX days" and understand it's a smidge annoying, but Red has done a tremendous thing by providing us good color using "basic" NDs. This is one thing many people shooting with most of the modern digital cinema cameras have been clamoring for. Red delivered big on this front.

You can use IRNDs, but you will need to white balance and you'll be losing a small bit of the good meaty color in the process.

I'm honestly shocked how well Dragon performs with all of these regular NDs I've tested so far. Like the cheapest Ebay screw-on filters are actually viable, though incredibly inconsistent.

Buy once. Go with Tiffen or Schneider. Get some quality glass filters. There are some new "even better" regular NDs a few months out that might be worth saving up for. They promise to be the most neutral of them all.
 
Hi Phil,

Can you share info about these new filters?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #87
Can you share info about these new filters?

Not yet. Hopefully soon. Last I heard they were likely going to be released or ready around NAB 2014. Might have a chance to see them before that hopefully.


Btw, talking about ND's, I got couple of Prototype Screw in 95mm VaryND filters form Schneider, and as soon s I get to LA, I'll get you one to play with Phil... ;)

Nice Ketch. I was going to have one made for my Cine-Xenar IIIs which are a larger diameter. Might have to call about that. Those must work great on the Xenon FF-Primes.


Quick grab of the New OLPF and Calibration in action. The color difference between the old tech and new tech is extremely noticeable, at least to me.




That might not seem like much, but considering how much was "brought out" and how little actual color was there this is nice and tasty.
 
I would be interested in lending you a hand in your tests if you were to need help. Just drop me an email at elev8d@me.com.
 
...
Nice Ketch. I was going to have one made for my Cine-Xenar IIIs which are a larger diameter. Might have to call about that. Those must work great on the Xenon FF-Primes...

Yeah they are really nice indeed, even so the two I was sent are prototype and actual shipping versions will be a bit different and heavier, I like this a lot, and a perfect match for the Xenon or any other 95mm Front thread lens, or you can use any step up ring to go to 95mm... ;)

One of them has already your name on it... ;)


And that leaf shot is just beautiful... And I actually don't mean "just beautiful" I mean it's as if you are looking at it and waiting for the wind to blow it off... That is how much detail and lifelike that looks to me... Well done!!
 
Not yet. Hopefully soon. Last I heard they were likely going to be released or ready around NAB 2014. Might have a chance to see them before that hopefully.




Nice Ketch. I was going to have one made for my Cine-Xenar IIIs which are a larger diameter. Might have to call about that. Those must work great on the Xenon FF-Primes.


Quick grab of the New OLPF and Calibration in action. The color difference between the old tech and new tech is extremely noticeable, at least to me.




That might not seem like much, but considering how much was "brought out" and how little actual color was there this is nice and tasty.

Better than Boobies!! ;-)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #91
Been riddled with some post fixes from two days of shooting, hence my quietness lately. A hell of a lot of work.


Shot "on top" of the 86th Annual Academy Awards. The Goodyear Blimp seemed to attract some strange behavior from the birds in the sky. Flipped the camera up and......

Red Epic Dragon 6K HD 72fps. New Calibration and OLPF. Schneider Cine-Xenar III 35mm T2.1 @ T8-T11, no ND.

phfx_redEpicDragon_AcademyBirds_0003.jpg


phfx_redEpicDragon_AcademyBirds_0005.jpg


phfx_redEpicDragon_AcademyBirds_0006.jpg


phfx_redEpicDragon_AcademyBirds_0007.jpg



Nice to have this sort of color performance, DR, and workable latitude in the material. Really nice.

For those keeping track of me. A bit of odd shooting this week. Shooting a rad piece next week that I'm Directing and DP'ing. Then at the end of the month, shooting and speaking in a different land. After that NAB. After that, likely shooting a horror/comedy feature. Working that out this week.
 
I already loved the birds on Facebook. This is even better! Great shot !

Good luck and tons of fun on the upcoming shots!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #94
Nice Phil!

Thank you Gunleik!


I already loved the birds on Facebook. This is even better! Great shot !

Good luck and tons of fun on the upcoming shots!

Ah. That means you saw a preview of the grade. That's no fair :)

It will likely look near this once all is said and done. I'm experimenting with adding a light stock grain for a bit of a textured feel on this whole piece.

phfx_redEpicDragon_AcademyBirdsSlowGrade.jpg


Hoping some of this will end up at NAB somewhere along with 3 shoots I have prior to NAB. We'll see what can get done.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Moderator
  • #95
Aloha Reduser compadres,

I have been an utter phantom lately and for that I apologize. These be busy times for bees like me.

Some time ago the folks at DVInside over in South Korea asked me to instruct a small workshop on the ins and outs of the Red Epic Dragon camera. I'll be across the pond speaking, demonstrating, and shooting with a good amount of attendees next week and that's going to be a blast. Though I don't know how my crazy analogies will go over with the translator :) I've done a few camera related demonstrations in the past and it should all work out nicely. This one will be focused on Dragon, best capture practices, and a bit on post workflow.

Other news. Wrapped a fun makeup related shoot last Friday:



Shot this all in 6K HD 8:1 REDCODE on Epic Dragon with the Schneider Cine-Xenar III Primes mostly at T2 through T2.8. 24 and 60fps. This particular shoot I rated at ISO 320.



I'll have the finished piece worked up in a few weeks, but I can share this now.


Have some fun "me shoots" this week before zipping off to South Korea. Other than that here's a shot of stray cat on an antique ladder with SCXIII 95mm:




Working hard and working hard to keep working hard out here in LA.
 
I really dont understand, why my Epic-M#10xx until now still waiting??
 
Have a wicked time Phil!

I really dont understand, why my Epic-M#10xx until now still waiting??

If you're referring to Phil's higher serial number Epic Dragon, you should know he was one of the few people who put in a massive amount of time with RED testing the sensor in it's earlier days, and it's compatibility with a range of lenses. Off his own back. This earned him a bit of bump in the queue, which I think most of us agree was deserved.

If you know all this, then feel free to not read the previous ;) Not sure what's going on with the upgrades as it's been a little quiet around here. All I know is my MX is killing it still
 
Thank you Gunleik!




Ah. That means you saw a preview of the grade. That's no fair :)

It will likely look near this once all is said and done. I'm experimenting with adding a light stock grain for a bit of a textured feel on this whole piece.

phfx_redEpicDragon_AcademyBirdsSlowGrade.jpg


Hoping some of this will end up at NAB somewhere along with 3 shoots I have prior to NAB. We'll see what can get done.


Looking great Phil, keep up the good work and see you at NAB. I am moving out to LA at the end of the month, lets grab a pint.
 
Back
Top