- Moderator
- #1
- Joined
- Apr 19, 2007
- Messages
- 13,392
- Reaction score
- 796
- Points
- 113
- Location
- Los Angeles
- Website
- www.phfx.com
A holiday surprise from the Red Dragon Hatchery. Spike went in to Red last week and was executed.
I am pleased to announce and introduce Red Epic Dragon #5232 "Kozmo":

It's been a hell of a journey for Dragon to take flight. Announced in 2011, teased again in 2012, and finally released in 2013 we now have the most advanced digital cinema camera on the market. I must thank Jarred for allowing me to get an early look at the prototypes, sensor chaos, various calibrations, and hardware changes made over the last few months as well as doing the lens coverage tests that many were asking for. That was a tremendous honor and privilege.
Mysterium-X came through on Red's promise of creating a "digital film alternative".
Dragon, for me, represents the first ever "digital film replacement".
If you know my background in motion pictures, film scanning, recording, color, and shooting you know exactly what this means to me.
Epic Dragon is the closest thing I've ever had to my "ideal digital cinema camera" and I've been busting my butt in the last 6 months to kit up aggressively knowing it was on the way.
For that I thank Jim and many of the unsung names at Red behind the curtain. It means the world to me.
Big thanks to Nick G., Alan Z., Jason M, Nar, Kelly, Brent, Justin, Sean, and Nick along the way. Also thanks to Peter Lyons Collister and Christopher Probst for a great deal of note sharing, thought sharing, and general career advice.
Can't wait to start creating, making, and capturing wonderful images with this camera.
First a few tests, then time to get to work.
Posts with information, tests, and images:
12.18.2013 - Gratitude, Initial IR Tests, and some quick notes on Color, Dynamic Range, and Calibration
I am pleased to announce and introduce Red Epic Dragon #5232 "Kozmo":

It's been a hell of a journey for Dragon to take flight. Announced in 2011, teased again in 2012, and finally released in 2013 we now have the most advanced digital cinema camera on the market. I must thank Jarred for allowing me to get an early look at the prototypes, sensor chaos, various calibrations, and hardware changes made over the last few months as well as doing the lens coverage tests that many were asking for. That was a tremendous honor and privilege.
Mysterium-X came through on Red's promise of creating a "digital film alternative".
Dragon, for me, represents the first ever "digital film replacement".
If you know my background in motion pictures, film scanning, recording, color, and shooting you know exactly what this means to me.
Epic Dragon is the closest thing I've ever had to my "ideal digital cinema camera" and I've been busting my butt in the last 6 months to kit up aggressively knowing it was on the way.
For that I thank Jim and many of the unsung names at Red behind the curtain. It means the world to me.
Big thanks to Nick G., Alan Z., Jason M, Nar, Kelly, Brent, Justin, Sean, and Nick along the way. Also thanks to Peter Lyons Collister and Christopher Probst for a great deal of note sharing, thought sharing, and general career advice.
Can't wait to start creating, making, and capturing wonderful images with this camera.
First a few tests, then time to get to work.
Posts with information, tests, and images:
12.18.2013 - Gratitude, Initial IR Tests, and some quick notes on Color, Dynamic Range, and Calibration
Last edited: