Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Red Epic Dragon #5232 "Kozmo" - Los Angeles

While tapping my feet waiting for Adobe's Creative Cloud update this week (which will have support for DRAGONcolor and REDgamma4) I've been using REDCINE-X Pro more for color work as of late.

I spent a hot minute making emulation looks of LUTs I've been using since my "film days" for use in RCX.


The grades I posted last night were a "new fire" for that shoot, but the curve on log footage was older.



However, I did pop a look onto a few of the skater portraits I shot at REDucation a couple weeks ago right when the day wrapped.

I exposed/rated these at ISO 1280, Dragon 6K WS, REDCODE 8:1. Shot with the upcoming Schneider Xenon FF-Prime 25mm T2.1.









 
Oh. One more. Shortly after uploading these I was asked "where does 1080p falls inside a 6K image?" Here's a 1080p cube crop at 100%.

click to open in a new window/tab:

 
I was up late working on some fun stuff.

Color workflows and pipelines are interesting things and there really seems to be no one way to work in my experience. Lately however, I've been using Redcine-X Pro more and more for "further than" simple one light color corrections. Particular Looks I have saved in RCX include a lot of general "correction presets" to do things like getting REDlogFilm to emulate REDgamma4 as well as more creative one off grades.

Now that things are a bit more hammered down color-wise I've taken that to the next level and starting writing some LUTs to be used in 3rd party applications.

Yesterday's efforts were (what's shown below) the RLFtoRG4 LUT I've made loaded up in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014. Of note, you can also apply a LUT straight through Adobe Media Encoder, which works nicely for transcodes and dailies. LUTs play a major role in production workflows, so something like this is useful when working with studios and VFX studios.



I've also been testing various older log LUTs I've created for a few films to see how DRAGONcolor/REDlogFilm looks.

So yeah. Basically making LUTs and Looks a lot. Both for utility and creative purposes.
 
Just a random midnight post with some images from Dragon. Random bits. Mostly 6K HD at 5:1 REDCODE RAW. Schneider Cine-Xenars for all of it.

phfx_redDragon_caduceusNaga.jpg



phfx_redEpicDragon_makeupBoop.jpg



phfx_redDragon_fireTruck_0001.jpg



phfx_redDragon_fireTruck_0006.jpg



phfx_redDragon_fireTruck_0007.jpg



phfx_redDragon_fireTruck_0008.jpg



phfx_redDragon_3AxisLCSTest.jpg



These are from today at ISO 800. Mostly T2.8-8 with and without ND. Footage sent over to a post house I've worked with in the past.


phfx_redEpicDragon_birdOfParadiseA.jpg



phfx_redEpicDragon_birdOfParadiseB.jpg



phfx_redEpicDragon_birdOfParadiseC.jpg



More soon. I need to do a write up on some of the Leica-M glass stuff I've shot over the last couple months too.
 
Last edited:
Gorgeous footage, Phil.

Thank you sir.


Tacking a small break from editing for moment to catch up on some REDuser and email. Thought I'd drop some frame grabs from a week ago shot during my Gnomon class as well as a few grabs of the waves from shooting The Wedge.


Waves:











Gnomon:















Obligatory camera shot :)




Loving the color real hard right now out of Dragon, especially on the footage I'm chopping away at now.

If you notice in the above camera shot I've finally added the +1 Module into the mix. I'm looking forward to checking out and likely adding the new 7" LCD Touch into the mix. It's a 1080p screen and I'm a focus nut. I think I might roll with that as my primary monitor with the 9" LCD Touch serving as my AC reference monitor. Still going to hang onto the 5" though for a bit for when real tiny rigging is ideal.
 
Last edited:
Taking a momentary break from prepping for tomorrow's shoot and early call time.

Finished up a quick personal shoot and wanted to share something. A long while ago back in my "Epic Spike" thread I showed off some various forms of post processing motion material to give it a bit more kick. I've been continuing those experiments with Epic Dragon and developed some interesting new techniques to squeeze out some additional detail. I'll post up some examples of how this compares to DEB, ADD, and various other methods. This particular "digital developing" technique is more or less a subtle detail enhancer and doesn't do much to the texture at all, but it does sharpen and clean up a few other things.

Here's an image processed with this method.



On Wednesday I'll be doing some hardcore A/B'ing between various processing methods to discover if the juice is worth the squeeze. Much like ADD, I think this technique makes stills really sing. However, with motion I need to do more general viewing. I'll be doing this on the 70" Sharp UHD display, but hopefully some projection between now and the end of next week is in order.

Fun stuff and it's interesting what else can be carved out for sure.

Here's a couple BTS images from the shoot:





As you can see, ideal shooting conditions :)

I'll have more images from this shoot to share later. First, more prep to be done and the eventual dive into the bed.
 
Wrapped another shoot today. Can't share much at the moment, but.......

Lately I've been using more and more "new" lighting tech. I have been renting and using the Mole LED Fresnels quite a bit recently for various shoots. We had 7 on this particular shoot. 2X Studio Juniors, 2X Juniors, 3X Babies. Did some fun large bounce work today to emulate daylight under a rather specific condition. Great team to work with today too. All the good feels.

phfx_redEpicDragon_DNDMBTS01.jpg


Also, though the crew certainly made fun of my excitement over it, I have now finally after years of shooting had a teleprompter on set. Can't fathom how I've avoided this until now, but it's something new I haven't had in front of any camera I've shot with before and I get crazy excited when stuff like that happens. Even with something as simple as this.

phfx_redEpicDragon_DNDMBTS02.jpg


Feet sore. Bed soon. More soon. Bed sooner.
 
I've heard great things about the new Mole Leds and look forward to checking them out soon.

Played with them at NAB. Definitely great lights but not something to easily lug around. Amazing studio lights though.
 
Whelp. Skully, my Scarlet-X Mysterium-X brain, has long since sent out to pasture after upgrading to Epic-X (Spike) and now Dragon-X (Kozmo).

However, as with the nature with nearly everything I work on things get released well after the shooting date. And heck, that's if I can release the footage at all!

The good news is a project I worked on 2012 is finally being released. That is Wasteland 2 Desert Rangers. I do work in film and games. I love when those two worlds collide.
For those who don't know about Wasteland 2 it was funded on Kickstarter some time ago for $2.9 Million dollars and is the sequel to the critically acclaimed 1988 title. The development has been long on this one, but the game is done and is finally being released Friday.

This was content shot for the opening cinematic of the video game. Some things made the cut, some did not. I'm sharing a bit of my favorite shots and some not included.

Details. Red Scarlet-X Mysterium-X with Canon EF Lenses. Shot at 4K FF with a 2:1 and 16x9 extraction. Highlights include one scene lit entirely by flashlights with a Baby 1K outside the window, which is something I do from time to time. The game is set in a post apocalyptic world and the color grade which has lightly been mimicked in the game reflects that. Color Grade Adobe Speedgrade.











































 
Wow! Looks amazing. Can't wait to see more!
 
Back
Top