Brian Boyer
Well-known member
- Joined
- Jan 4, 2011
- Messages
- 943
- Reaction score
- 6
- Points
- 0
I really like the upgrade programs, but to be completely honest I have no idea what to do. Right now, real world revenue for me is very strange, MX makes me more money then Dragon does (even with both OLPFs and larger mags/rocketX). The MX has its lower priced pre Nov 2014 Dragon upgrade paid for, but with very few details on Weapon I need to make a decision now (ish) on whether to proceed with the upgrade or not, which is really tough for me..
At NAB will we have a lot more concrete details to help us make a choice on what to do? Because I thought Dragon would be a huge rental thing for me, and I was completely wrong, my MX has never been renting better. Now I am not going to sit here and guess as to why this is nor complain about orbs or roll outs, but in the real world of revenue this is unfortunately the position I find myself in, and between that and a Rocket X I basically blew a ton on this upgrade is the problem lol... Fortunately I have legacy MXs available as well, and its been helping offset the issue, but having this be an issue really caught me off guard and I am hoping the market will still turn around soon.
So today in order to hedge myself I bought an Arri Amira, so at least that gives me some diversity...but going forward is really tough cuz MX is doing so well and with so few details on Weapon and Dragon being a flop for me, personally at least so far, I just don't know what to do. I am hoping Red can extend people who may or may not find themselves in a situation like mine some more info at NAB before they shut down the MX->Dragon lines. Cuz most people would call me a Red fanboy vs Arri fanboy, and I am a firm believer in the upgrade program (hell I even suggested it an pissed off JJ when it was supposed to be a sensor buying only deal, so arguably I am the guy who pitched the upgrade idea strategy to begin with). Hell I got a JJ autograph I am such a fan boy, but with no price point, specs, or anything and based on my unfortunate Dragon rental revenue vs MX I just don't know what to do guys and I don't want this to be a negative rant, just looking for al little guidance is all. I spent every dime I had on my birthday last year on Dragon and its just not resulting in the revenue I thought it would, with such a close release after Dragon, it also makes it pretty tough financially since I have had the camera in hand not even a year as well and am now looking for an upgrade too? So I love you guys at Red, and I really hope you can give us more details before our choices have to be made is basically my thesis. I like the program, its great and I love having choice, I just hope you guys can make it an educated decision for me before I have to make the call. I kind of bet the farm on Dragon and Rocket X, and its just not been great for me so far, hoping it changes but MX has never rented better for me so this whole thing is very strange is all. Thanks guys and I hope to hear more details soon!
"The automobile? Dammit! I just bought this horse and buggy. Thanks, Obama."
EVERY, SINGLE, TIME a company comes out with a new product, whether it existed before or not, someone somewhere is going to get screwed on the timing of it - they just bought the previous model, they just bought a competitor's model with lesser specs for more money, whatever. It's inevitable.
Sometimes it's you. Sometimes it's the other guy. How many people do you all know for whom timing on a great deal worked out perfectly but they were bummed out because everyone else couldn't take advantage of it? The answer is pretty close to zero.
From what I'm reading, people here are upset with the timing of the upgrade more so than the concept of an upgrade. For me, the timing of the Dec. 1st Dragon upgrade came at a bad time financially. I did it anyway. Now, I'm set for the Weapon upgrade, should I choose it, without having to scramble. Out of the bad timing came good timing.
Brian, maybe you could use the next 2 months to see if your Epic MX rentals hold up. If they do, keep it MX and put the money from the renewed interest towards either the Weapon upgrade for your existing Dragon or an outright Weapon purchase in the future.
If the rentals taper off in the next 2 months, order the Dragon upgrade a day or two before the start of NAB and get on the upgrade path.
Remember, Weapon is Dragon. It may be in a different size or it may work better in the new body, but it's Dragon nevertheless. My prediction is that ALL Dragon usage is going to pick up considerably this year, and I thought that before Weapon was announced.