Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

October 30th Announcement Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cameras feature a 3.5mm jack for each of two independent channels of (balanced input) audio.

Threaded? Bayonetted?(if anyone makes such a thing)...please just not the no-locking type that can't take the constant lateral stress of field use...

...and hopefully the same with the 3.5mm headphone jack...

...pretty please....
 
You don't. Go back and re-read the announcement.

They contact you if they want you to "beta test" the new Epic-X products.

No offense, but given your question, I don't think they'll be contacting you.

Happy to know you're not among them! :cheers2:
 
I think 24-75 is the conversion for FF sensor. If i use a 2/3 scarlet a don't want to make the conversion of the focal in my head to know the equivalence on a 35mm lense.

Vincent, unless it's changed the fixed lens Scarlet has always been with an 8X zoom.
 
Cool. Any chance you managed to put put one into the Epic X too ???

Where exactly would you put that? Have a look at the sensor chart - in terms of area, s35 is about 8 times bigger than 2/3"... Given that the brains are similar sizes, I don't really think there'd be anywhere near enough space.
 
You don't. Go back and re-read the announcement.

They contact you if they want you to "beta test" the new Epic-X products.

No offense, but given your question, I don't think they'll be contacting you.
I only read the announcement once, so maybe I misinterpreted it but, what I understand is this ... anyone who owned a RED ONE before a certain date, (~Oct 29) will have a chance to purchase a Tattoo. This also makes sense because you want as many beta testers as possible, to statistically find any possible "bugs". You need people testing workflow, lenses, shooting conditions etc.etc. you always want data coming in 24/7. A lot of people purchased after Jim's, "You'll be sorry", announcement ... so as not to be sorry ... they wanted to catch the beta train, thus they have shown they would be good beta testers. Me, I want to run extensive tests with the RPP's.
 
Microphone inputs

Microphone inputs

That was me asking about in-bult mics.

Yes what Jarred described below is certainly a microphone option.

"The mic is a low profile scratch microphone that snaps into the front microphone ports on both Scarlet and Epic..
it's not built in per say but it blends in pretty well. We like to keep things modular to give people options."
 
Last edited:
In regards to Jarred saying no one has noticed something about the render with the gunner and lens combo

Paul

I think what Jarred is referring to is there is a small mic on the front of the gunner! Hence why it connects with the two wires to body. There is also extending grip, and hand grip that looks like it is adjustable. It may also convert to a rocket launcher for those working in hazardous places

I suspect that this must be part of the fixed package or as an option.
 
Yes what Jarred described below is that's certainly a microphone option.

"The mic is a low profile scratch microphone that snaps into the front microphone ports on both Scarlet and Epic..
it's not built in per say but it blends in pretty well. We like to keep things modular to give people options."

Snap-in... I hope I'm wrong but I'm guessing that means no locking mechanism on the recepticles and checking the pix of the Epic-x would seem to confirm it. Ah well.... there's always the IO module but that adds another module's weight and volume.
 
I think what Jarred is referring to is there is a small mic on the front of the gunner! Hence why it connects with the two wires to body. There is also extending grip, and hand grip that looks like it is adjustable. It may also convert to a rocket launcher for those working in hazardous places

I suspect that this must be part of the fixed package or as an option.

I just googled for picatenny accessories and found a bunch of grenade launchers and depth charge launchers. All green though so wont match the colour scheme. I guess hey will be on the Red accesory list soon though.......
 
I only read the announcement once, so maybe I misinterpreted it but, what I understand is this ... anyone who owned a RED ONE before a certain date, (~Oct 29) will have a chance to purchase a Tattoo. This also makes sense because you want as many beta testers as possible, to statistically find any possible "bugs". You need people testing workflow, lenses, shooting conditions etc.etc. you always want data coming in 24/7. A lot of people purchased after Jim's, "You'll be sorry", announcement ... so as not to be sorry ... they wanted to catch the beta train, thus they have shown they would be good beta testers. Me, I want to run extensive tests with the RPP's.

What I read was ...

"We won't make too many. Just enough".
 
The 8x fixed lens (Filter and all) is done btw... and it is quite an incredible piece of kit.

I'll try and take some photos of the assembly next week as it is pretty cool to see.

Hi Jarred. Does Red have plans on making the 8x lens a separate lens for the detachable body? I think all of us shooters who do run and gun docs would kill for such a thing. I want the 2/3 detachable so I can plug some long canon lenses on for wildlife.

Down the road I would love to see you guys make a killer 14x lens that starts wide for 2/3.

If the fixed lens scarlet is done, why not throw it into the beta pool now. I know you want to reward the red owners first, so i can see holding off a bit. Also seems t recall the ASIC's are not done. Still I hope there is an option for some non red owners to buy them in Beta stage (if there is a beta stage). I'm heading to Africa for a 2 month shoot soon, and wish I had one. Ship to Kenya, I'm the house next to the hippo pool, third acacia tree to the left.
 
If the fixed lens scarlet is done, why not throw it into the beta pool now. I hope there is an option for some non red owners to buy them in Beta stage.

I'd be up for that and I'm sure a lot of others would as well.
 
It's pretty simple. They're using a 15-bit analog to digital converter to accommodate what will likely be greater than 12 stops of dynamic range.

Yes, it's simple, BUT

I always thought that Mysterium-X will be 12 bit and Monstro will be 14 bit.
15 bit Mysterium-X I cannot believe :-)
 
Hmmm, I just wonder, didn't Jim say something about the lens on the fix-Scarlet? That it was so good that it should cost much much more. I think JJ and JL and the rest of the Red team are just smiling at us (friendly of course). All those complaints about the delay of the Scarlet ... Maybe, just maybe they placed it right before our nose in the RedGunner render combination. We do not know whats behind that 24-75 on that lens. They might just have done smth really crazy fabulous stuff. We'll see. One thing I am sure about, I cannot see a lens mount in that render.

Oh for all the speculation, better get something done. Nov.30. tic...toc.

Thank you friends for the great achievements already revealed.
 
We are all excited about the announcement that RED made. I for one would like the fixed Scarlet package and the Scarlet FF35 for my weddings, beauty, fashion, doc, and vids for stills and motion. This is a very exciting time we live in. Technology doubles and sometimes quadruples every six months. Think about the new Mac Pro's coming out with Core I9 and LightPeak for fiberoptic data transport. No bottlenecking.

Gabriel
gabrielscindian.com
 
I'd like to know what else I'll have to buy in addition to the fixed 2/3" in order to go shooting. Assume I already have camera supports and editing hardware. I guess I'll have to wait till the 30th. Ah well.
Dave
 
What I read was ...

"We won't make too many. Just enough".
Ya, interesting, but what is enough? If you want a good beta program, bigger is better ... if you want a fast beta program ... bigger is faster. I think they should produce as many as they can sell ... If someone wants to shell out $28000 for something that might not work, and is delivered in dribs and drabs ... I want that guy on my team! He's a player ... do I want to lose him to Panasonic? Unless of course the Epic is almost perfect now, with just minor fine tuning required. But you cannot ignore the law of large numbers ... for a beta program ... bigger is always better. You need tons of guys testing workflow and developing software ... perhaps on LINUX ... the job is never done ... you want people sending in results 24/7. If they had 6000 Epic beta testers, (at $28000 a pop, people who had already signed away their right to complain, and trade in their RED ONE) what business in their right mind would shut the doors on that?
 
Last edited:
In regards to Jarred saying no one has noticed something about the render with the gunner and lens combo, here's what I noticed:

In a picture showing an Epic X as near as I can tell, with what appears to be one of Red's upcoming FF electronic lenses, there's.... no mount in the picture!!

Are we looking at a fixed lens Epic?! Or is it something else entirely and the render is just that of the fixed lens Scarlet?

Cheers,

Paul

I noticed that as well. I actually tried to respond with "What I want to know is: how is that lens mounted in that setup?", but the forum ate my post when the server timed out under load, and I hadn't gone back to repost it.

So Jarred... how about that? You've clarified that there is no fixed Epic, but how IS that lens mounted on there?
And that _IS_ an Epic, right?

-sc
 
I think what Jarred is referring to is there is a small mic on the front of the gunner! Hence why it connects with the two wires to body. There is also extending grip, and hand grip that looks like it is adjustable. It may also convert to a rocket launcher for those working in hazardous places

I suspect that this must be part of the fixed package or as an option.

You're right... there does appear to be a mic foam wind-screen peeking ou the front, doesn't there?

-sc
 
Hmmm, I just wonder, didn't Jim say something about the lens on the fix-Scarlet? That it was so good that it should cost much much more. I think JJ and JL and the rest of the Red team are just smiling at us (friendly of course). All those complaints about the delay of the Scarlet ... Maybe, just maybe they placed it right before our nose in the RedGunner render combination. We do not know whats behind that 24-75 on that lens. They might just have done smth really crazy fabulous stuff. We'll see. One thing I am sure about, I cannot see a lens mount in that render.

Oh for all the speculation, better get something done. Nov.30. tic...toc.

Thank you friends for the great achievements already revealed.

Come on, be realistic. It's not the fixed lens Scarlet. It's on the Epic X picture-site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top