Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

DRAGON-or-HELIUM

lets not be too hard on Marcus he joined up 2 years ago and is probably in that RED fanboy stage where the cameras are the end all...seems we have a friend in common Marcus, Rana Glickman so for that ill let this all be what it is...
Do you even know Chris? seeing that i do, and im sure he doesnt want to be pulled into your argument

My comments have nothing to do with Marcus and ur guys squabble. Just sayin, he seems fine to me.
 
Well, it's me then. I'd apologize right away but I can't - apologies get released in oct. so...:rofl:

:thumbsup:
 
How much can you fit on the 512Gb card shooting Helium compared to regular Weapon 6K? That's a factor few seems to talk about.
 
How much can you fit on the 512Gb card shooting Helium compared to regular Weapon 6K? That's a factor few seems to talk about.

Take 4k and cut it in half.


Well it would be nice, but I don't think it works that way actually. So my guess would be 3 or 4 stills.
 
Last edited:
Isn't 9:1 a bit high, or is the compression rate different between Dragon and Helium just like between MX and Dragon? I usually shoot 5:1 or 6:1 on normal images.

That was just an example, feel free to calculate by yourself with Phil Holland's amazing tool :)

I expect Epic-W to have the slower 225 MB/s datarate (compared to 300 MB/s on Weapon Helium), so you'd top out at max 6:1 for 8K FF @ 24 fps (just a guess but would make sense).

[TABLE="class: dataGrid, width: 427"]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #541414, colspan: 4, align: left"]REDCODE RAW Data Rates for 8K FF at 24 fps[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="align: left"]REDCODE RAW[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]per Second[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]per Minute[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]per Hour[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="align: left"]REDCODE 5:1[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]260.21 MB[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]15.25 GB[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]914.81 GB[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="align: left"]REDCODE 6:1[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]216.84 MB[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]12.71 GB[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]762.34 GB[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="align: left"]REDCODE 7:1[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]185.87 MB[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]10.89 GB[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]653.44 GB[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="align: left"]REDCODE 8:1[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]162.63 MB[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]9.53 GB[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]571.76 GB[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="align: left"]REDCODE 9:1[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]144.56 MB[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]8.47 GB[/TH]
[TH="align: left"]508.23 GB[/TH]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
 
How "good" is actually the 4K/5K/6K of Helium compared to the respective resolution on Dragon? If I shoot Helium @ 6K, do I get the same details/sharpness as 6K on Dragon? Or you'd have to shoot 7K and downscale to 6K like on Epic-MX you had to shoot 5K and downscale to 4K to have a proper 4K finishing quality?

Is there a side-by-side comparation of Helium/Dragon resolutions?
 
Im sorry but your wrong about RED cameras sell themselves. Simply not true!! Alexa sells itself. Unfortunately, or fortunately thats how it is, but thats kinda what happens when the owner/user saturates any market.

Sergio, I think it depends a lot from the markets.
There are areas where it works and areas where Alexa works RED.
In my area make many courses on REd and ALexa, now that people know how to use both cameras prefer RED.
I think it's also a matter of education and workflows.
Helium is just a new generation of sensor, people get used quickly.
What bothers me a lot about Helium is not the dynamic range or color, but how do I handle this huge resolution.
For now, or fortunately, have the Redrocket-x, otherwise I would be dead! nothing real time in full debayer even with 72 processors and 3 nvidia 1080 ...
I'm scratching my head ... and with the customer is a difficult situation ..
For now, the rest of 6k Dragon weapon.
 
Marcus, Just curious. have you looked at these?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o0xkjzvi3...1XlqQljAa?dl=0

By Erich Roland

I have not because I'm waiting for HeliumColor to be released before I start studying R3D's. The reason is that when HeliumColor is released, I can properly process that footage, and thus get a more accurate reading on the sensor's abilities. Until then, any data that I acquire could be potentially misleading, so why do it? Why not just be patient?

Also, Sergio, I'd like to remind you that personal attacks are not allowed on REDUSER.

P.S I started working with RED's back in 2012 when I worked at a rental house, and thus didn't need Reduser. But, when I left and started my own production company, and bought my own camera package, I decided that I needed the support of reduser because I didn't have the support of a rental house anymore. So I joined REDUSER. But please, continue to make overarching judgements about me based on incomplete information. Especially when the confirmation bias, helps you complete your own argument in your head.

P.P.S Also, looking me up on Facebook to find out personal information about me is just plain creepy and soooooooooooooo uncalled for.

Have a good one man. Wish you the best of luck with your Helium purchase, or non purchase.
 
Isn't 9:1 a bit high, or is the compression rate different between Dragon and Helium just like between MX and Dragon? I usually shoot 5:1 or 6:1 on normal images.

Well the frame won't be like uncompressed raw 80MB photograph but the good news is that wavelet compression gains efficiency with higher resolution + the ability of noticing that compression in 8K is significantly reduced, so going to 5:1 in 8K is of questionable gain for general usage. Especially for a 4K delivery.
 
So how do I place myself into a Helium Weapon Queue?

I want to keep the old dragon and get a new helium weapon. Been here since Res One and still have my Red one sitting on shelf as a museum piece...

If you want to keep the old dragon and just buy a helium weapon you will likely be able to do that on the 11th. If you want to buy a CF Weapon now, you'll be able to uprade it to helium weapon when its your turn in the queue. It depends on how quickly you need a camera and if you'll put it to work right away if it make sense to buy direct or buy CF now and then upgrade later.
 
Dramatic difference.
http://www.zoomfilmtv.com.au/ftp/JUNK/noise.jpg

noise.jpg

Finally Red made a camera that I can shoot every day.

I don't have to afraid of shooting on 1600-2000 ISO.

I have been waiting this since 2012.

No more Sony for low light.
 
What olpf was used for the above photos?
 
Back
Top