Are there any plans for a "RedcolorFilm" color matrix as well? The gamma curve has never been as big an issue as the color matrix in terms of a translation to a film centric pipeline.
Of course, there is also the larger quesiton of whether a film centric pipeline is something that is really needed now and into the future. Personally, I'd really like to see a faster move towards ACES rather than continual introduction of new gamma curves and color matrices, particularly given that Jim has indicated planned support for it already. The quicker there's an agreed upon universal approach the quicker the inevitable confusion begins to end. I really do appreciate the effort to provide better images along with the newer hardware, but the staggered introduction of all this stuff has led to a situation where production may be looking at something different than post, and the VFX company may be doing file transcodes that are significantly different than the grading facility is getting from the same R3D files. Having already experienced the results of this on a television series, I'm not anxious to see it continue. The introductions really need to be simultaneous on camera, Red software, and the SDK so that all of us can at least technically be on the same page.
I think Jim is aiming for the 3rd formula that he mentioned "the feel" factor, but you made a valid point. I hope there is a standard that everybody is comfortable with. Altho other things may happen if you do this, that someone will come into the picture and say "i want that setting back, i cannot use the new software because the setting doesnt exist"