Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Fool Control Question

Another related question having just bought the new iPad for use with FC. I don't have a camera at the moment, but can the Red 4.7in Touch Screen go full screen, image only with no interface/settings elements taking up space, and just use FC for settings?

yes. you can set this up via MENU > SETTINGS > DISPLAY > MONITOR CONTROL > LCD > MODE : Overlay / Clean
you can do this from inside foolcontrol...

hmm I will see about adding a shortcut somewhere to quickly switch front LCD from Clean to Overlay with one button like I have on OS X...
 
VERY COOL. I was hopeful but not optimistic. That allows for the 4.7in screen to have a little more elbow room. And the shortcut would be helpful Mikael... thanks again. Now someone just needs to make an iPad mount that connects to a rail or cheeseplate.
 
yes. you can set this up via MENU > SETTINGS > DISPLAY > MONITOR CONTROL > LCD > MODE : Overlay / Clean
you can do this from inside foolcontrol...

hmm I will see about adding a shortcut somewhere to quickly switch front LCD from Clean to Overlay with one button like I have on OS X...

If you switch to Clean you lose the overlays, frameguides, etc., which might be what you want. Alternatively you can toggle "Auto Hide Menus" to leave the overlays but have the top and bottom bar disappear (and gain the space for video preview). You have the added benefit of being able to still use the menus on the touch if you want by tapping on the screen to bring the menus up.
 
I have another question. I have connected fool control to the camera but sometimes it just crash the connection and sometimes I cannot find the camera until restarting it. Any idea why it's like that?
 
I have another question. I have connected fool control to the camera but sometimes it just crash the connection and sometimes I cannot find the camera until restarting it. Any idea why it's like that?

Using a router or ad hoc mode ?
 
Using a router or ad hoc mode ?

It's the same on both unfortunately. I experienced this with my Epic as well, and now I have both a Weapon and a new iphone (also tried on my old iphone). Sometimes some settings won't work when hitting them, only after after a restart of fool control does it work.
 
Also, I loose connection sometimes and fool control can't find the camera anymore over network. I need to restart my Weapon in order for fool control to find it again. Why is that?
 
Christopher, contact me by email so we can troubleshoot... Possibly some wifi interference in the setup or surrounding area.
Does the camera wifi indicator stays green at all time ?
 
Just to repost a clarification (for others interested in FC and lens pairings) that has been made in other threads too.. Not every lens, particularly still lenses, are going to behave exactly the same.

I have a Canon 24-70 2.8 USM II, that I love/use on my Epic- and while I've found some fast (pre-programed marks) focus pulls can stutter, usually a very small adjustment to the speed/duration fixes the issue. I don't feel like this is a reflection on the quality or usefulness of the app or the lens. Both are phenomenal in quality and more importantly, for me, potential for creativity. Happy shooting!
 
I purchased FoolControl specially to pull focus remotely on the occasional jib shot, so fingers crossed that I can get acceptable results. I won't be able to test it out until my camera comes back from a rental.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but is there a way to enable the adhoc yet without the touch/sidekick?

Thanks!
 
Speaking of which, I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but is there a way to enable the adhoc yet without the touch/sidekick?


Not directly if you have no sidekick nor touch screen or (upcoming) side handle.
but a preset file can be created on any camera for the wifi settings and saved on a ssd as a force-preset to be applied on a camera boot...
 
Not directly if you have no sidekick nor touch screen or (upcoming) side handle.
but a preset file can be created on any camera for the wifi settings and saved on a ssd as a force-preset to be applied on a camera boot...

Thanks Mikael, as that's what I was trying to ask. Has such a preset been posted yet?
 
Christopher, contact me by email so we can troubleshoot... Possibly some wifi interference in the setup or surrounding area.
Does the camera wifi indicator stays green at all time ?

Nope, it's been like this with the Epic Dragon I had before using ad-hoc, ad-hoc on my weapon and WIFI. As soon as I have batteries I'm gonna try it outside where there aren't wifi interference (could be that). But as for the poor performance of the 24-70mm and other lenses, that's been the same all the time. Racking focus on both my Epic and the Weapon is the same, never smooth.

Just to repost a clarification (for others interested in FC and lens pairings) that has been made in other threads too.. Not every lens, particularly still lenses, are going to behave exactly the same.

I have a Canon 24-70 2.8 USM II, that I love/use on my Epic- and while I've found some fast (pre-programed marks) focus pulls can stutter, usually a very small adjustment to the speed/duration fixes the issue. I don't feel like this is a reflection on the quality or usefulness of the app or the lens. Both are phenomenal in quality and more importantly, for me, potential for creativity. Happy shooting!

Yes, I love the app and from my understanding it's not the app that's causing poor focus performance but the lens in combination with the Epic/Weapon communication to it. I tried rack-focus without the app and it "stutters" the same. I do however think we need a list of lenses that actually work good with the Epic/Weapon, because as I use to say, just because something works doesn't mean that it works. In lack of better words, the 24-70 2.8 USM II is shit when it comes to focus. My Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART works better but it still stutters when pulling focus.

Thing is that I believe there has to be lenses manufactured that have internal motors that are manufactured in an entirely different matter. These are still lenses and aren't intended do smooth motion, they are intendent to "hit the mark" as fast as they can. So changing how they operate and making them "force pull" the focus without skipping is the only way to make them work for cinematic purposes. If Zeiss took their Otus series and made such internal workings they would revolutionize how we operate lenses on location.

However, as things are now I cannot see how focus pulls can be achieved with internal still lens motors to a point of quality that is on par with how manual FFs operate cine lenses. The 24-70 is the worst lens I've tried so if there's a list of lenses working with internal focus, that list needs to be reworked. The 24-70 is miles away from "working great". It's like having a focus puller who drank way too much coffee.
 
That would be amazing. Thank you!

I'm just about to fly out for a shoot in Vegas, but will be back in a week or so. I'll contact you then about the preset.

Thanks again!

going to NAB ?

if so come and say hello if you have time, I will be in the small foolcolor corner inside the RED booth...

12976717_889718201139567_8545128742126468556_o.jpg
 
We have had a similar problem to Christoffer. We were running HOTLINK via Ad-Hoc with our Epic-Dragon while it was being power off the Ronin's power distributor. Fool Control kept disconnecting. We suspected it was some sort of WiFi interference that wasn't allowing us to use Fool Control. Perhaps we needed to change our channel setting in Fool Control? Or maybe we just need to not run it via Ad-Hoc and use a small router. Can anyone recommend one? And run me through how to set up the settings?
 
We have had a similar problem to Christoffer. We were running HOTLINK via Ad-Hoc with our Epic-Dragon while it was being power off the Ronin's power distributor. Fool Control kept disconnecting. We suspected it was some sort of WiFi interference that wasn't allowing us to use Fool Control. Perhaps we needed to change our channel setting in Fool Control? Or maybe we just need to not run it via Ad-Hoc and use a small router. Can anyone recommend one? And run me through how to set up the settings?

Hi Rust,. you can contact me directly if you want to trouble shoot your setup (switching wifi Ad Hoc channels, trying larger antenna for HotLink... )

I recently got a nice, small and cheap TPLink router and it really helps using this with infrastructure mode versus ad hoc mode only, on DSMC2 and DSMC1... it is powered via USB and basically needs no setup for default configuration...
It will not replace the HotLink on DSMC1 cameras as the ethernet is only 10/100 unfortunately.

TP-LINK-TL-WR802N at amazon
 
Back
Top