Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Another update...

Thanks for the update!

I really really hope that Epic-S will be available for pre-order around NAB, and that once Epic-X Stage 1-3 are complete, Epic-S will begin production and will not wait up until after any more Epic orders placed at NAB...

Sound likely?

Would love an Epic-X but doesn't make financial sense right now for me, while an Epic-S is right on the money. Was gonna buy an F3 but now it seems like a fool's purchase with Epic-S just over the horizon! I'll shoot my work on DSLR (unfortunate but common evil) and rented RED One til then.

Thanks!
 
hi Alan,
is it possible to get the epic stage 2 through red europe too?

Hi Kaya,

We are looking at the logistics of that right now - freight, import duties etc
Hopeful that Stage 2 and Stage 3 deliveries to EU customers will be able to complete via RED Europe.
No promises...
Stage 4 orders for sure through here.
 
Hi Kaya,

We are looking at the logistics of that right now - freight, import duties etc
Hopeful that Stage 2 and Stage 3 deliveries to EU customers will be able to complete via RED Europe.
No promises...
Stage 4 orders for sure through here.

that would be cool alan...but if it doesnt work, thanks for the try :)
 
Hi Kaya,

We are looking at the logistics of that right now - freight, import duties etc
Hopeful that Stage 2 and Stage 3 deliveries to EU customers will be able to complete via RED Europe.
No promises...
Stage 4 orders for sure through here.

That's (potentially) great news Alan ! keep us posted :thumbup1:

Have I missed something : has Stage-3 been 'formally' launched ???
 
Am I understanding right that when stage 3 is announced I only have 30 days to get my $10,000 in?

Yes.But it should be (USD28000-17500) ie USD10500 and for MX upgraded camera its should be (USD28000-18750)=USD9250.Correct me if I am wrong
Harcharan
 
So...just to make sure i know what i'm talking about...if I don't have that money in by the end of the 30 days then I lose?
 
So...just to make sure i know what i'm talking about...if I don't have that money in by the end of the 30 days then I lose?
Too many variables to say for sure. RED has mentioned that if they do not have all the accessories that are in the "package" available at the time, you can hold on to your R-1 until all those accessories are available at once. I suppose that also means you postpone payment, but not necessarily.

It's possible that if you don't pay within the thirty day period you lose your place in the Stage 3 line but are still able to go to the back of the Stage 3 queue.

I'm just guessing because most of this hasn't been spelled out by RED.

But here's the thing. Whatever RED does, I'm confident will be fair. I'm guessing in every action taken by RED so far, if any of their decisions went to arbitration, RED would win every case. And the arbitrator would probably buy a camera his or herself after seeing how the company treats its customers.
 
So...just to make sure i know what i'm talking about...if I don't have that money in by the end of the 30 days then I lose?

As I understand it, when Stage 3 is opened for orders, you'll be able to place a *deposit*; that's the usual RED system anyway. Then, two or three months later (or however fast production goes), you'll get an email saying your EPIC order is ready for shipment. At *that* point, you have 30 days to pay the balance due on the cost ($10.5k less deposit), and send your R1 back.

If you don't pay the final balance in that time then yes, you lose.

Mike
 
As I understand it, when Stage 3 is opened for orders, you'll be able to place a *deposit*; that's the usual RED system anyway. Then, two or three months later (or however fast production goes), you'll get an email saying your EPIC order is ready for shipment. At *that* point, you have 30 days to pay the balance due on the cost ($10.5k less deposit), and send your R1 back.

If you don't pay the final balance in that time then yes, you lose.

Mike
This is opinion only, so take it as such... but I think they may handle Stage 3 similar to how they handled the MX sensor upgrade. That is, when your place in line comes up, they send you an email saying that you are next up. If you do not respond within the 30 day period, you are by-passed.

MAYBE you still have the option to go to the tail-end of the longest line, but that's for RED to decide. Even if you choose to do nothing, your Stage 3 eligible R-1 can still be traded in on the next future brain that comes after Epic X but with no free accessories thrown in.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Stage 3 eligible camera owners can just keep their R-1s and exercise a one-time discount of 12%(?) on a Scarlet/with accessories. This is recalled from memory so don't take any of it as fact.
 
Last edited:
We are looking at the logistics of that right now - freight, import duties etc. Hopeful that Stage 2 and Stage 3 deliveries to EU customers will be able to complete via RED Europe. No promises... Stage 4 orders for sure through here.
OK, I gotta ask: how about Stage 3.5 then?
 
MAYBE you still have the option to go to the tail-end of the longest line, but that's for RED to decide. Even if you choose to do nothing, your Stage 3 eligible R-1 can still be traded in on the next future brain that comes after Epic X but with no free accessories thrown in.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Stage 3 eligible camera owners can just keep their R-1s and exercise a one-time discount of 12%(?) on a Scarlet/with accessories. This is recalled from memory so don't take any of it as fact.


Actually no, the announcement I saw said if you don't complete the deal within 30 days, you lose all upgrade rights on that body for ever.

There's one exception to that - Jim did say that you would be able to postpone the deal and extend that 30 days if you ordered additional accessories beyond the basic EPIC-X package, *and* any of those additional accessories were backordered or otherwise unavailable. Which makes perfect sense - they won't force you to accept a partial fulfillment; you don't have to complete the deal and trade-in your R1 until they have ALL the bits you need. That's very fair.

The Scarlet deal is correct, and looks pretty unattractive to me, I can't imagine many people would go for that given the incredibly generous deal RED have offered with EPIC.

Mike
 
If we set up EU S2 and S3 orders to complete through RED Europe, then certainly S3.5 would also be available through us.
Naturally. But I was actually thinking about whether S3.5 will be as likely to ship through RED Europe as S4, even if S2 and S3 go through RED USA.
 
Actually no, the announcement I saw said if you don't complete the deal within 30 days, you lose all upgrade rights on that body for ever.

There's one exception to that - Jim did say that you would be able to postpone the deal and extend that 30 days if you ordered additional accessories beyond the basic EPIC-X package, *and* any of those additional accessories were backordered or otherwise unavailable. Which makes perfect sense - they won't force you to accept a partial fulfillment; you don't have to complete the deal and trade-in your R1 until they have ALL the bits you need. That's very fair.

The Scarlet deal is correct, and looks pretty unattractive to me, I can't imagine many people would go for that given the incredibly generous deal RED have offered with EPIC.

Mike
Mike, you may be right. It doesn't affect me.

I was just trying to convey to those who are asking that until they hear it from RED, they should not take anything said by those of us in white letters as fact.
 
Hi Kaya,

We are looking at the logistics of that right now - freight, import duties etc
Hopeful that Stage 2 and Stage 3 deliveries to EU customers will be able to complete via RED Europe.
No promises...
Stage 4 orders for sure through here.

Oh yeah! That would be so great! Getting things from RED overseas is such a battle everytime in customs (the cameras being the most painful).

It would be perfect if you can manage it (I've never myself trade with you guys but wishing to).

It would be nice to put the contact info for RED EUROPE somewhere clear in the red.com website, anyway, or a dedicated website. Sometimes it hard to find.

Cheers and thanks for the efforts!
 
Back
Top