Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

The Scarlet Speculation Thread!

I had a lot of dialog with Juan, and I know for a fact that he ISN'T working for Red. He's working for a different company now, but as for who bought the technology, I have no idea. All I know is he had several bidders, and he can't say anything about it for the time being (gag order I assume).

Hope that sheds some light.

Thanks, Maverick.
 
The way I see it, the idea for Scarlet was probably born when the engineers at RED looked at all of the components that they have on the RED ONE now.

They probably started thinking things like, "hmmm, what other cool toys could we make with this stuff" or "I wonder how small we could make a Camera with these parts... imagine a pocket sized 4K Camera?!"

So my inclination is that Scarlet will shoot up to 4K on the 35mm Mysterium Sensor. Think about it. What is one of the first things you think of when you hear "RED"... it's 4K, it's their brand in a way. You also think revolutionary, and pushing the boundaries.

With all of the competition in under $10,000 Cameras, and with RED stressing "pocket" and "professional", plus there being other competition with the SI-2K Mini, it seems like they would at least try for a 4K design using their existing technology.

They never actually said that the design including lens and viewfinder would be pocket sized, just that they Camera would be. So perhaps it is similar to the SI-2K Mini approach and they are looking to develop a Camera that would be perfect for 3D rigs and the like.

You'd always be able to add a handle and viewfinder to it if you wanted to, but have the option for a more compact setup, if need be.

Hmmm... that gets me thinking...

971_1199598742.jpg


:biggrin: Just Kidding!

But seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Keep an eye out for Panasonic. There are rumors circulating about their next prosumer camera. In fact, I was just told about a new promotional video that slipped through the cracks which talks up their new approach by using an ultra compact design. Here is a link to the clip:

http://tinyurl.com/2zloe5

Whatever RED's Scarlet is, I'm sure it's gonna kick ass. I would think it is also designed to be low maintenance and a cash cow. Lookin' forward to NAB!
 
4k...nope

4k...nope

So my inclination is that Scarlet will shoot up to 4K on the 35mm Mysterium Sensor. Think about it. What is one of the first things you think of when you hear "RED"... it's 4K, it's their brand in a way. You also think revolutionary, and pushing the boundaries.

jim has said it will not compete with the red one. now that can be interpreted in a few ways but i interpret it to mean that it won't include the red one's primary attraction which is precisely 4k. and just think of how many red one customers would be pissed off that they paid $30000 for 4k and the guy next door got 4k for $5000. of course they are 2 totally different cameras and i'm throwing around numbers but the media wouldn't care. they love to sacrifice media darlings to their jaded readers. remember the backlash against apple lowering the iphone price so quickly.

the point of scarlet is to leverage the things that redone cannot currently or can never be and those are:

very portable
easy to use for wider market acceptance (auto focus/iris/shutter, etc (there are plenty of "professional" camera systems with all these features))
increased storage/compression on a solid state device (imagine a huge, built-in ssd. it would lower costs and alleviate ssd incompatabilities)
and more bells and whistles that i can't think of now because i'm not part of the red team.
 
I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but what I think would be a very interesting thing to do with Scarlet could be with scalable Firmware. i.e. Have the 4k Mysterium sensor in the camera, but have the option of buying, say, 2K-only firmware for a sub-$10,000 price tag, with the option to upgrade to 4K-capable firmware for an additional cost at a later date. This could get those of us with tinier budgets into the RED world without upsetting the early-adopting, higher-paying users of RED One.
 
Personally, I'd like to see Scarlet follow the same form factor as the old Panasonic AG-EZ1 or even more compact.
 
"I have stated it is a motion capture camera..."
"Scarlet is not a substitute for the RED ONE. It will never have features close to the RED ONE. We will NOT take reservations for Scarlet. And please remember that the key word for Scarlet is "Pocket"."


Thats a Spec. :D
 
Haakon... please do not guess like you know what Scarlet is or is not. Neither of you knows so please keep your speculation to just that. Speaking like you know what it is or is not is not acceptable. You might get someone to believe you actually know what you are talking about...

Jim

Ouch..public scolding
Scarlet just changed.
 
Haakon... please do not guess like you know what Scarlet is or is not. Neither of you knows so please keep your speculation to just that. Speaking like you know what it is or is not is not acceptable. You might get someone to believe you actually know what you are talking about...

Jim
Hi Jim,

I have removed my original post.

Let me make it clear to the RED community; I do not have any insider information on Scarlet and my post was speculation and not fact.

I apologize for any confusion I have caused.
 
Better put a phone in this thing,
I've heard (on the grapevine, no links and total gossip) of a
Mini Raw Camera Phone out of China (Japanese backers) recording
2K Raw to CF with editing software for PC. Has auto focus and optional
lens elements Long,medium,wide. Will sell for about US $1K and
warning, this could be total rubbish, heard it from some Red
competition out there in the Asia/Pacific area, they will be made in the
billions.
Great idea, and if it's real why wouldn't everybody get one for Christmas.
Mezmo
 
Better put a phone in this thing,
I've heard (on the grapevine, no links and total gossip) of a
Mini Raw Camera Phone out of China (Japanese backers) recording
2K Raw to CF with editing software for PC. Has auto focus and optional
lens elements Long,medium,wide. Will sell for about US $1K and
warning, this could be total rubbish, heard it from some Red
competition out there in the Asia/Pacific area, they will be made in the
billions.
Great idea, and if it's real why wouldn't everybody get one for Christmas.
Mezmo

Looks like they listened to me. Now I am confused, there are so many choices, with all the releases at CES added. I hope they have sense enough to have an BT headset, and view-screen call notification.

Casio has an 6mp 60fps burst stills camera, brilliant pictures (from the prototype). Some article suggested $999, but I do not know if they were kidding, though it is in an consumer SLR type enclosure. Could we expect something in this price range, the pricing of quality cameras is very competitive now?

Actually, I have seen an SLR phone already. but I don't image it is does 2K raw, or is anything but gimmicky.
 
I don't remember where I saw the link but someone announced a $150 1080p camera at CES that shoots to SD Cards.

Come'on Jim. Don't let the chinese out do you.

S16mm
PL Mount
2k
integrated 3.5" display
CF Cards.

$1000
 
I'm with Gavin... CF is a saving grace of the RED ONE and I'd love to see it carry over to Scarlet. Solid state acquisition is the best way, hands down!
 
An Aaton A-Minima equivalent digital camera with a S-16 sized sensor (or S-16 windowing I guess) would be something I would absolutely die for. I think that 16mm's DOF is more managable for a "pocket" camera.
 
cf for sure ... I'm still hoping for 4K though.
Aloha
-A
 
Back
Top