Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

The Scarlet Speculation Thread!

None of the current 'pocket cams' on the market are designed or intended for pro use, they are consumer products - but that doesn't mean that if someone did it right they wouldn't be great tools for pros. I have an aiptek pocket HD camera which is a POS - and should be since it cost $125. It

I agree. There is, apparently, 72060p models coming from Ispan soon. The thing is that with some minor redesign you could theoretically have one of these cameras record an 720p50 image in raw compressed format (the native 4:?:? format would be down interpolated to bayer). You would get something similar in quality to an Elphel. The biggest problem is stability, particularly when trying to adjust controls (let alone as many as an normal pro camera).

I tried all sorts of form factors of true pocket cameras in the dvinfo digital cinema camera projects, and came up with two single handed models with control of multiple manual controls simultaneously, with good stability. Otherwise you have to look at dual handed models to get any good stability with adjustment.

Sorry, just love design stuff.
 
Have to say I not to hot on the mini-cam idea. Silly as it sound, it would be kinda hard to explain to my clients why I shooting their projects with a security camera :waaa:

Well, it's not meant to replace RED One.
I guess its purpose is to provide different creative possibilities which smaller form factor allows.
 
The way I envision Scarlet is a 4K HV20; fixed lens (really good) and auto and manual everything shooting into cf at whatever price that takes.
Aloha
-A
Yeap, me too. I also wouldn't mind if it were only 24fps and nothing more.
Same here but 25fps too plus interchangeable lenses.
 
IMHO...MUST be 2K!

IMHO...MUST be 2K!

If this camera isn't going to be a minimum of 1080p with 60fps crank and 4:4:4...I don't see the point of it coming out.

By the time it is out, Panny, Sony, etc. will have so saturated the market at a near price point, that a sub 10K camera wouldn't be very efficient for RED.

Heck, I still think a massive chunk of RED's business will be swallowed by Panny, Sony, etc. coming out with what's already been announced. There comes a point where an Indie filmmaker says, "okay, that's good enough quality for the price"...for most of us, that's happening in sub 10K cameras right now. (Pretty much the first 4:2:2 Intra-frame codec 1080p camera that comes out will steal the show...and we all know that's right around the corner).

Now then...It'll be a while after Scarlett is announed before it comes out. By then, the camera mentioned above will also be out, and so....

If Scarlett is really to be the splash everyone wants, it's going to have to do better for the same or less price, right?

Which means it must be...

Sub 10K
Excellent fixed lens or interchangeable lens option
Either 1080p 4:4:4 with overcrank or 2K 4:2:2 with overcrank
And of course, big sensor with big pipe line like RED ONE, or the like....

Here's my personal hopes...

Sub 10K
interchangeable lens system with ability to use still SLR lenses.
2K and 4:4:4
35mm sensor (at least s16)
HDMI out at least
Flash cards for Redcode/Redcode RAW
Durable as all get out
 
Whoops...

Just read the above stuff one more time. Then visited the site mentioned. Cool. 2K. Man, if it is 4:4:4 and interchangeable lenses....ouch!

At least 4:4:4?....please?????

But a BIG SENSOR!!!!!
 
Nice one. Scarlet is 2k. I hope it's RAW.

Word Mark: SCARLET 2K POCKET PRO
Word Mark: SCARLET 2K



I feel a little like I just found my Christmas presents hidden under the bed, and I peeled the wrapping paper back. I'm excited, but I feel like I cheated. And now it seems like it will be an even longer wait to actually get it.
 
Jim,
please think about all the third-world filmmakers who pray you everyday for a cheap camera.
thanks
 
Scarlet is Red (only brightter)

Scarlet is Red (only brightter)

Hello All, I might have missed if someone mentioned this earlier...so I do apologize if so.

There are a lot of speculations regarding the Scarlet name. "old fashioned, classic" etc...
Maybe the name mainly have to do that the Scarlet is Red color only "Hotter" i.e more orange, or reddish orange if I may.

As far as specs go,
I can only speculate it will be 2k at most. if so...
Most likely cheaper.
Perhaps fixed lens.(altough I'd like to think not).

as for the pocket camera. size or price Or size and price.

I don’t see why a camera should be more lightweight then Red is.
I could be wrong but

A: isn’t more weight gives better stability when handheld? (even though I'm sure it will probably be used over steadycam, dolly etc.

B: how small do they actually intend it to be. wouldnt it be better if they came out with a camera that their entire line of accessories will be compatible with?
I dont see why they would choose spending much more money on creating special line of accessories just for the pocket sized camera. where they can use their already available designed, tested and production ready accessory line.
which leaves me to money...it is probably cheaper.

All in all, I'm pretty sure that whatever it is, it will be as groundbreaking as Red, and built with the same fantastic quality we have seen so far from their products.

Kind Regards.
 
The mother of all speculations!!!

The mother of all speculations!!!

I wanna make a bold prediction here: Right after NAB, Scarlet will be ready to ship. In fact, I believe that Scarlet is already in full production, and we might have already seen some footage and not even know it. How's that for speculation? Think about it ;-)
 
I wanna make a bold prediction here: Right after NAB, Scarlet will be ready to ship. In fact, I believe that Scarlet is already in full production, and we might have already seen some footage and not even know it. How's that for speculation? Think about it ;-)

this is good.....what about this?
if you open a red, there is already a scarlet in it.

my speculation:
you will get 1080 p for 2ooo USD and can record to cf cards.
 
Scoop! Spy photo of Jim demonstrating Scarlet!

Scoop! Spy photo of Jim demonstrating Scarlet!

This should put the speculation to rest!

Good shooting and best regards to all,

Leo
 
The only problem is those 3 words mean 3 very distinct things to me which I don't think are going to be delivered:

2K+ resolution @ S16mm or larger, Real interchangeable lenses and HV20 form factor respectively.

I've got this nagging suspicion it's not going to live up to that--mostly because the first two seem to be in direct conflict with the third... "it's pocket sized! But don't forget the 12" long PL zoom!" "It's pocket sized but you still need a focus puller!" That's what I want, but it sort of defeats the purpose of the marketing slogan "pocket sized"
 
Maybe scarlet is the name of the image sensor and that could fit in you pocket.
 
2K/1080p
Nikon/Canon lens mount (optional red brand lens)
variable frame rates
over/undercrank
raw or maybe HDMI out to upcoming Cineform SOLID
CF

give me this all at a price range of 1,500 - 2,500 dollars and I will paint myself red and run the streets of Virginia Beach naked while screaming and flapping my arms and....

where am I?

seriously, if we look at what RED ONE was price wise compared to the other high end digital cinema cameras, and we assume the pricing for scarlet will be proportional with that, then 2,000 is the sweet spot I think. For what, Im believing this camera will be.:wink:

Edit: u got me stephen, haha
 
seriously, if we look at what RED ONE was price wise compared to the other high end digital cinema cameras, and we assume the pricing for scarlet will be proportional with that, then 2,000 grand is the sweet spot I think. For what, Im believing this camera will be.:wink:

2,000 grand? I doubt anyone's going to pay two million dollars for a camera that "doesn't come close to the RED ONE" :tongue:

But seriously, I'd buy this thing in an instant if it was two grand - but I doubt it will be...
 
Back
Top