Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

The Scarlet Speculation Thread!

Okay, okay, I've been thinking about it. If RED made Scarlet with:

1. 1080p
2. Variable frame rates up to 60fps (or more I suppose if it includes a 720p mode)
3. Had the same sensitivity and image quality as the RED One albeit at 1080p
4. HV20 or smaller form factor
5. Interchangeable lenses, most likely C-mount with converter options
6. Records natively to CF cards
7. All at about $6,000 or less

We would all be drooling and whipping out cash, credit cards, checks, or left arms immediately. What has been the weakness of ALL prosumer cameras compared with something like the RED is the image the cameras produce and their respective compressed codecs. With increased sensitivity and dynamic range on an uncompressed format or barely compressed REDCODE works too of course, that would be all many indies are asking for, especially at 1080p. Granted, 2K would be the icing on the cake but I don't know how the pricing would be affected and it's hard to determine where the camera would fit in the RED lineup unless it does turn out to be some RED-spinoff of the SI-2K mini head. Combined with Jim's comments about the camera not being close to the RED One kind of cuts some things out, most likely being the resolution factor. Still, if the camera were similar to what was listed above, it would totally kill the <$10,000 prosumer competition and really shake things up.
 
My wish list for SCARLET:
- 2k Full frame
- 1-100fps
- 1k Windowed 1-200fps
- highly light sensitive (1000 ASA)
- high quality fixed lens with excellent auto focus and 24 X zoom
- 2 ch 96kHz, 24bit Audio
- 3.5 inch 720p Built in LCD Display
- variable Data Rates
- CF Slot
- size of Canon HV 10
 
Ok it doesn't have to be small. If it is under 5 grand, I'll take 3, even if it is bigger than my dsr 500.

I want to get 8 of them no 10! and shoot concerts live. Imagine I could rig up a van with a switcher, cameras and all that for about 200,000 grand, and bamoo!:w00t: Down convert to SD for broadcast. I bet nobody watching would be able to tell the diffderence between my van and a multimillion dollar sony hdc1500 equiped tractor trailer.:bleh:

Seriously with accesries like shoulder mounts, jibs, long and wide lenses, camplex, intercoms, and some form of recording all the camers independantly, I realy think this might work. And then during the week I use on of the cameras to make my movies. :sarcasm: !
 
I think if Jim wants the market (which he already knows) is to do better than what panny did. Panny came out with the first affordable 24p camera and it rocked the indie world (dvx100) and followed with the HVX200. These two cams plus a couple from sony and jvc is what the study should be based on. Those cams have a huge following but unfortunately the companies are cheap with features.

Jim, let scarlet kick some ass and be the world's first to offer affordable 2k,
just like what red did which rocked its own market too.

please dont let it be literally a pocket size
 
do you think Jim is just collecting our prospective desires, THEN is going to put together a prototype???
 
but of course, because we are the market, and we know our desires, and not only is jim unique with his approach, he actually cares about the customer.

theres probably a prototype part way there and knowing Jim who listens to the user base, he'll probably incorporate at least some of the features requested.
 
do you think Jim is just collecting our prospective desires, THEN is going to put together a prototype???

Jim is a long-term thinker. He looks at everything he's done and the gear he's used, asks himself how it could have been better, and the rest just falls into place. I think he already knows exactly what is needed and what expectations need to be met. Scarlet (or at least the basic idea of it) has been on the books since the beginning from what I've read in Jim's interviews. He's definitely got Scarlet ready for all of us men (and I think there's a lady or two in the forum) here who are hot and bothered for her debut.
 
Number One Request for Scarlet:

Have two-thousand (2,000) units packaged and ready to ship on launch date.



If it's as affordable as an HVX or EX-1, there's going to be one hell of a long line. Please, have thousands ready to be shipped out so that there's no year to two year long waiting list. Granted, I'm definitely not on the RED ONE waiting list, but I can imagine being on one where I can pay all cash for a Camera.

1080 or 2k. Hell, a Scarlet colored corn-dog on a stick: let's have plenty to go around.
 
kholi is right and since there's probably gonna be so many units sold (if its like the hvx or ex1) i dont think anyone will want to wait a year to get theirs, as by then there's probably gonna be other alternatives which would be "good enough"
 
thin enough for the pocket.-1/2" Daylite viewable Monitor on the rear side, choice of lens mounts on the front nikon/canon etc. with the active area of the chip slightly smaller than the covered area of the glass so there is look around. maybe it weighs about 1/2 a pound or less with a slot for flash media.
HD would be big enough but probably 2+ K to get adequate picture in HD from Beyer imager.
 
Hi

An sale-person in an retailer told me they had heard/read about an Red that uses the sensor technology from the new Casio EX-F1 (I know shock even that such an rumour exists). Is there any truth in this?
 
Hi

An sale-person in an retailer told me they had heard/read about an Red that uses the sensor technology from the new Casio EX-F1 (I know shock even that such an rumour exists). Is there any truth in this?

A Sony IMX017CQE CMOS sensor in a Red Camera!!?
 
A Sony IMX017CQE CMOS sensor in a Red Camera!!?

I doubt it, people are assuming that is the chip inside the Casio, but could it be something else similar. Anyway, asking if there was any truth to this, or is the salesperson just getting/giving mixed-up information.
 
Iconix HD-RH1 (pocket sized/POV camera)

Iconix HD-RH1 (pocket sized/POV camera)

Has anybody seen or used this camera before?

http://www.iconixvideo.com/products.html

HD-RH1 1/3" Progressive 3CCD HD Camera


Multi-Format:
720p @ 24,25,30,50 and 60 Hz
1080i @ 50 & 60 Hz
1080p @ 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 Hz
700 Lines (720p), 900 Lines (1080i/p)
SDI, DVI-D, and Analog Outputs
14-Bit Quantization
Electronic Shutter and Enhancement
Programmable Gamma Function
Genlock and Remote Control
 
Back
Top