Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

The Scarlet Speculation Thread!

I sure hope it's 4K. With a small form factor, it could really compete with the SI-2K for 3D work.

By the way, interesting timing for this name/topic being released...
 
Is this the camera designed by Rainer Orz that designed the old Drake camera?

We have speculated about this pocket Red for an while at dvinfo, and I am most enthusiastic to find details and about pre-ordering.

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up, I have been eyeing the Altasens based Sumix camera (but this is more an hobbyist DIY) and HDMI solutions. I even have been considering doing my own camera, as we used to do at dvinfo. There has been some very interesting alternative lens and imaging technologies announced in recent years.
 
Well I will assume they're certainly exploiting their existing REDCode, REDCine, REDAlert, etc infrastructure. That's a given.

According to Jim they're using a proprietary chip. That means they're making it themselves. That means they're going to be producing a sizeable quantity of wafers with defects. With no other products I assume the REDMini will be built on the assumption that they can use defective Myseterium chips which don't pass 4k QA. (Or at least I think they can do that, I know you can do that with some other chips but I don't know if sensors are an all or nothing sort of deal.) Anyway that means same mysterium sensor but smaller than s35mm which means probably s16mm.

RED is producing economy glass which I'm sure they would love to see an even larger market for. So probably the same lens mounts with PL being stock. They're also making their lenses in somewhat odd focal lengths which match up with S16mm sizings. Again indicating a plan to re-use with a S16 camera.

CF card obviously.

HDMI out.

Fast Reset (not global) shutter since it's based on the mysterium sensor.

They'll want to re-use all of their DSP research that they put into RED so I would again point towards the exact same sensor design.

Two Mini-XLRs.

1080p out of mini BNCRs.

Approximately 3.5 pounds.
7.5" x 4.25" x 3.75"

$8,500
 
this is absolutely the news i've been waiting for. guys that know me and the sort of filmmaking i do, can imagine how appealing a small professional camera would be to my brand of filmmaking. i have really high hopes and expectations for Scarlet. so I'm hoping for a professional digital cinema camera no bigger than an HV20 with 35mm adapter. if it's that, 2K at a minimum and under $7500, i'll buy three. very excited filmmaker here.
:love: :love: :love:
 
And why not a 35mm sized sensor downscaled to 2k RAW!!!

Please, not tooooo small!
Bollex or z1 size would be great.

I thought christmas allready past!

Patrick
 
We have speculated about this pocket Red for an while at dvinfo, and I am most enthusiastic to find details and about pre-ordering.

Hey Wayne, welcome to reduser! Come see us at NAB '08 for the details etc.!

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up, I have been eyeing the Altasens based Sumix camera (but this is more an hobbyist DIY) and HDMI solutions. I even have been considering doing my own camera, as we used to do at dvinfo. There has been some very interesting alternative lens and imaging technologies announced in recent years.

As Jim would say it's going to be BAD ASS :)
 
Can we maybe built up everyone's wish list and see what happens

My vote:

2K Redcode Raw
S16 Chip
Factory fitted, interchangeable Brigger mounts for SLR and B4,
About the size of a DVX, (smaller would be good) mounts on 15mm rails
Record to CF Card (Dual slots)
720P Viewfinder and HDMI out
2x Full sized Audio XLR in, with gain pots/ 5 pin XLR audio out
TC In / Out on full sized bnc
Lemo or 4 pin xlr for standard 12v power in.
Bluetooth iPhone remote control for live production, iris, focus pulling, Painting LUT's on set.
Sicko low light performance (min 500iso)
$7500

I know I'm going to get flamed for this bit.... Autofocus would come in handy

Oh, and really pretty ;-)

039_1989~Vivien-Leigh-Posters.jpg


Regards
RupertMac
 
I'm gonna put out my speculatory wishlist for Scarlet without reading over this thread and then go back over it to see how many others hit the same points as me.

I'd like it to be compact and modular with five interlinked components:

1)The sensor and lens mount. Make it a s35mm sized 2K sensor with nice big photosites for a stellar latitude and sensitivity along with a limited DoF when desired. Incorporate the Birger mount with the user option of Canon or Nikon. Get Birger to incorporate the feedback autofocus that they were speculating about with a thumbstick on the control surface to select the focus point with the ability to set a number of focus points to trigger the lens to focus at point (1) then to point (2) then to (3) and back to (1). Of course it would also have the option of going back to full manual with the remote FF unit.

2)The viewer module with the option of a 4” LCD or (very) compact EVF.

3)The processing and recording unit. This would also have the 1080p HDMI output and the two XLR audio inputs along with the POTs to control the audio levels. Of course it will be R3D recorded to CompactFlash at variable frame rates up to 180 fps.

4)The control surface would be on an undockable unit that can attach as a pistol grip on the head alone, horizontally on the main body for the typical camcorder setup or as a pistol grip on a 15mm rod for shoulder mount configuration. Wireless would be best.

5)The battery should be a quarter the size of the Red One battery but with the exact same interface. When the Scarlet battery is integrated into the body it would be all about the compact and light but when it is in one of the undocked configurations we could substitute a Red One battery for four times the life.

When we Lego them together it would be a tight unit that is smaller than a DVX100 but with the ability to rotate and shift the modules to fit you and how you want to shoot. If you want it to be horizontal or vertical or have a dogleg in the middle... have it your way.

You could pull it apart and have a plethora of options from balancing on an extremely light shoulder or stabilizer rig on out to a radical setup using two Scarlets with the processing/recording/batteries on a belt, the sensors mounted on the sides of a helmet while the compact EVF's are mounted in front of each eye for WYSIWYG 3D. We've evolved to keep our head rather steady and so long as it is light enough I think that this might make for a kickass stabilized 3D configuration.

And build this around 15mm rods but with Scarlet specified, thin walled aluminum rods that cut the weight way down since they will be carrying hardware designed for the Scarlet rather than a big brute of a camera.
 
I agree with you guys, the theme is most definitely S16 (ie. 2K) equivalent to the RED One's S35 (ie. 4K).

When they said "Pocket Camera", dozens of images popped into my head. Does that mean the camera will be the size of one of those HD Sanyo cameras? The size of an HV10/HV20? The size of a smaller prosumer camera like the Sony HC1/A1U? DVX-sized or more? It could be anything. In any case, I know it's going to be awesome, especially if it has interchangeable lenses.

Here's my list:

- 2K with variable frame rates (120fps would be nice but that's RAW port territory)
- HDMI out
- Records to CF with 2 slots at least
- LCD only unless it's a bigger DVX-size (which I doubt if it's "pocket"-sized)

Alternatively or including

- Proprietary output to RED LCD so you can have a bigger LCD to monitor, make the camera smaller, and be able to monitor more easily if you have to put the camera in a tight spot, like between books on a bookshelf. The LCD could also be mounted to the camera for when you want everything all-in-one and also have the option for those who want to or can only afford to use just the Scarlet for their film. A small external LCD would just make things more flexible I think, especially if you are using one in conjunction with the RED One, swapping accessories back and forth as needed for the scene.

- Two XLR/Mini-XLR inputs
- Just as much image and audio controls as the RED One
- If possible, compatibility with RED One batteries. I've always liked how Canon allows for the same batteries to be used for all of their GL, XH, and XL lines, it would be nice to have the same thing for the RED family of cameras.
 
Good ideas Clint.
Happy new year to you and the doggies.

Thank you... and hopefully this year the dogs can stay away from the porcupines and out of the Perry's traps. The fun of reaching into a growling wolves mouth to pull out barbed needles wears thin after the first few... and he wasn't that fond of our ministering to the open and festering wounds on his paw either... right to the bone and the doofus refused to leave the dressing alone or refrain from going on his runnabouts.
 
I'm going to tell him what you called him. lol Ah yes strong willed dogs can test one can't they? Took me a while to break mine of the habit of treeing cougars.
 
My Guess (and wish)

My Guess (and wish)

- 2k Fullframe
- 1-100fps
- 1k Windowed 1-200fps
- killer light sensitive (2k Fullframe might help)
- PL Mount
- 4 ch 96kHz, 24bit Audio
- 5 inch 720p Built in Display
- variable Data Rates
- 2 CF Slots
- size of two HV 20

Martin
 
It'd be nice to see a pistol-grip configuration like an old Super8 camera. Fully modular, of course, but having the Birger focus control, zoom (through s4/i?) and roll on a single hand grip like a TV studio cam.
 
i think being modular is key.

my wishlist:

-the "camera" is basically an imaging head with a compact flash slot and a lens mount. This can probably be as small as an HV20. Then you add on what you need.

-minimum 2k, with a 16mm or larger sized chip; 120fps would be amazing, but I'd expect at least 60fps.

-there could be a device that has one end slide into the CF slot, that goes off to a little array of two or three CF slots, for longer shooting times. But you wouldn't need this every day, so keep it off the body. This could be good for the Red One, as well, and I think the more pieces that can be used on both cameras, the better.

-I don't think we need tons of options in terms of formats - shoot everything in whatever the native format is, and take care of everything else in post. That cuts down on the need for lots of buttons, menus, etc.... All we need is on ON/OFF button and a REC/STOP button. (Ok, we'll need controls for shutter and framerates....maybe even some playback funcyionality.... But we don't need the extensive menu and button array found on the back of the RED ONE.) The ISO could stay the same, too. No 'gain' is needed. Shoot clean; adjust in post.

-PL mount is nice, but is it practical on such a small camera? Whoever is buying this cam might not have access to true cine glass. Maybe c-mount, with an adapter for 35mm SLR lenses makes more sense. OIS would be awesome for documentary situations. Sony DSLRs put this in the body, so that every lens you use becomes stabilized.

-viewfinders and LCDs should be options, the same ones for the RED ONE, that can be attached where and when you need one. (That keeps it easy for RED...I think.) Mount the LCD on top, or handhold it separately. Put Scarlet on a jib arm and run a cord to your 7" monitor, or run HDMI to your 60" HDTV. I'd get a monitor, but not a viewfinder.

-Keep it light, so I can use the affordable tripods, skateboard dollies, and jib arms I've been using for my mini-DV shooting.

-some fun accessories could be developed to stick the camera onto a car hood, zip line, skydiving helmet, skateboard, etc...

-There should be outputs for recording to RedDrive. Also, HDMI out and maybe even a downconverted RCA video-out for us poor souls who will need to set up video village with 23" SD monitors. (I can't be the only one.)

-2 xlr inputs (minis are fine by me), with 48k, 16bit sound. Auto levels are useful for wild sound in documentary situations. Volume dials are almost essential. Many of us don't have dedicated audio people or pro-mixers. It doesn't work for every situation, but it's great for sit down interviews where the levels won't change very often. (I set one high and one low. If they whisper, I have the louder track. If they scream, I have the quieter track.) This would also mean the ability to feed in one mic and have it go to both tracks at different levels, like on the DVX.

-A tiny little, very light, battery as a second option to the standard Red batt. This may only last 45 minutes, but it could be very useful for handheld situations or where size/weight is important.

-It would be awesome if Scarlet could play back RAW footage that was shot on a Red One. I just see that being useful one day.

-histograms, false color, magic focus, etc...

-set the body under $5,500, and we'll need to spend about another $1,500 - $3,000 in whatever accessories we choose to get. (LCD vs. EVF, etc...)
 
i think being modular is key.- $3,000 in whatever accessories we choose to get. (LCD vs. EVF, etc...)

What is the point of just talking about imaginary things?
.
 
Back
Top