Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Sensors...

I see in press today they the new oddly named Super Hi Vision standard has been ratified by the EBU. So the new, or one of the new standards appears to be 8k.

What does this mean for 4k delivery, should we aim to by pass it, will it be a short lived standard or will 4k be around for a while yet.

And how soon will sensors capable of true 8k be with us.

And what comes after 8k.
 
Some great memories I've had as a Red owner are from actually going to Red Studios Hollywood for the occasional event focusing on movies and post production that shot on Red. Also great to meet people during Reducation open houses. Nice to put faces to names, even nicer now working with a few of those folks.

But, easily the best part is actually viewing the material in 4k there. Little teaser trailers, featurettes, and whatever else they put up there.

When you see your own work projected in 4k it really is a breath taking experience.

So true!!!

I love seeing work in progress projected at RED Studios in LA!!
 
the new oddly named Super Hi Vision standard
NHK gave the concept the in-house name of "Super Hi Vison" but in tech paers they described it generically as an "ultra HD" system.
What will we call it.. 8k? SHV? or Hi Vision?

As I understand it, in 1964 NHK becam a study into a system to repalce standard def, they called it "Hi Vision", this eventually evolved into "High Definition"
In 1995, even before High Definition was a broadcasting reality, NHK began to look at what could be beyond HD and came up with the term of "Super Hi Vision"
The idea of Super Hi Vision was formally adopted by NHK in 2000 and first exhibited in 2002.

Here is a doc from NHK that details its development.
http://www.telcogroup.ru/files/materials-pdf/NHK_SHV_press_release_IBC-2008.pdf

Checkout figure 10 for the microphone array :)

Mike Brennan
 
Wow could you imagine mixing a 22.2 channel soundtrack. I think I might try this for my next project. All you need to present it is three 7.1 receivers and a way to sync everything up.

;DFDooley
 
A couple of hinged, flip-down ND's would surely be possible ahead of the sensor/OLPF area. Like a DSLR mirror except perpendicular to the light, not at 45 degrees and hence a good bit smaller. I can't see that the level of electro-mechanical complexity is tough to achieve either - SLRs have had that mechanism since forever.
 
A new body.

A new body.

Built in ND would be great.

But I think the day they'll rebuild a new camera they will improove more critical features like auto focus.
They need to have some telemetric measurement tools as for motion picture evaluating focus with the sharness tool is not possible as it would change focus during the take.

Good that we allready have enough advance in technology to have face traking features available in small photo cameras. In the near feature it will be possible to have other pattern traking feature.
Now, I don't think that the ALL electronic will replace human focus pulling but I believe we will be able to have a great mix between both worlds.



Pat
 
+1. Sure would be nice!

Any rear filter affects the BF distance. This means that a "clear" filter would need to be used even if you do not need it.
A "clear" filter does not mean "not introducing some level of relections or light loss". There is always degradation introduced by two additional surfaces.
With dynamic range of 14+ stops I wouldn't be putting any additional glass in the light path unless necessary.

-1. No, it wouldn't be nice :)

What would be nice is 36mm, 6k or even 8k wide sensor. I could use that for super clean 4k mastering.
 
Christian, which movies are you actually watching there in 4K? As far as I was aware Dragon Tattoo was one of the first and only mastered in 4K...

For what it is worth, I saw Blade Runner in 2007 in 4K in Sydney - It was great. So yes, there have already been movies mastered and screened in 4K.
 
Question about Dragon. What will the lower than 6K resolutions be? The 6K setting will be 6144x3160 and that will be larger than some lenses such as the RPP 18mm and the Ultra Prime 16mm. I know the image circle for the 16mm will be 1.54mm too small for Dragon at 6K. Will we get something like 5.8K (which I suspect would just cover) so we can maximize the resolution when using these certain lenses? Or will we be forced all the way down to 5K and a smaller part of the image circle than the MX sensor at 5K on Epic?
 
I can see Leno's upcoming monolog.

"Are we getting too fat and lazy to drop a filter in a mattebox?" '-)
 
Don't have time to read through all the posts and not sure if this has been addressed but are there any limitations when upgrading to Dragon if you are a second hand Epic X owner? I ask because we are currently in the market for a used Epic X, just want to know if there will be any limitations when Dragon is available? Will it matter what stage of Epic X you have second hand? Jim?

Thanks in advance.
 
Back
Top