Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

RIP Redmote

Peter Lyons Collister ASC

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
1,339
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Just in case there is ever a question. The Remote is not supported on the Weapon.... I had a long love-hate relationship with the Remote starting with the Betas on Spiderman (which did not work) and then all of mine with my Epic MX and Dragons (they all worked great)

So I know they were a temperamental lot but I will miss them....
 
Never tried the Redmote because every time I got a hold of one, people would put it away saying "that thing? no, we don't use that thing, ever....". Every user I met have had a bad experience with one so I never got one myself.
 
I love my redmote, still have it handle all the time and it has always been pretty useful when I need it. I've never put it into huge long range situations but its nice to have the additional buttons to program and the backup incase anything goes wrong with the touchscreen.

It makes sense that it is EOL with weapon with all the great stuff that is coming down the pipe.

So, thanks Redmote and thanks Peter for reminding me it's been a great little tool.

David
 
I must have been one of the blessed few. My Redmote almost always worked and worked well. Maybe there was a little magic in the factory the day it was assembled. I will also miss the Redmote but... Using my phone with Foolcontrol is a pleasure to use always.
Good by old friend...
 
Even on its best day, Redmote never worked better than 60% of the time for me. The amount of time to charge the Redmote combined with its stupid-short battery life was a deal killer anyway as it would never get through an 8, let alone 10 hour day without docking it. Always worked perfectly when docked...

i I have a Redmote and a ton of other Epic kit I need to sell before it's too late. Time for a spring cleaning sale.
 
For me, this was the biggest mystery of my RED ownership. Mine has (and still does) work pretty much flawlessly. The worst performance I ever had was losing connection and having to reboot the camera to get it back. Happened once or twice. Yet, it seems like at least 70% of REDmote owners had issues. Go figure.

Doesn't surprise me at all that DSMC2 has moved on.
 
I guess I was one of the lucky one... TWO times on a row...

Both M's had a fantastic run with their respective REDmotes... Used over and over with great success... And only sold it out let year do to a complete different style of shooting needs...

But I am either way happy of the new design approach and internal wiFi on the new Weapon cameras...
 
My REDmote was flawless as well. Wasn't perfect, but it was still pretty cool to show off. These last few years I just gaff taped a USB juice pack to the back so the battery wasn't an issue.

Still though, i've already pre-purchased foolcontrol in anticipation of my new DSMC 2. rip.
 
My only real issue with the Redmote was the battery draining when not in use. At one point there was a user-installable Redlink upgrade that made an decent improvement.

I know some 3rd party accessories interfered with the remote if the accessory plugged into the video out. It worked on my camera no problem but there were issues with 4 others with the same accessory, so it's not always Red's fault.
 
I don't mean to derail the RIP Redmote thread but wanted to mention that the Redmote will still be supported by DSMC², but in a cabled fashion. This is significant for people using the Redmote in an underwater housing. So perhaps the Redmote isn't quite dead yet, simply in the twilight of its' years.
 
REDMOTE not dead :-)

REDMOTE not dead :-)

wired REDMote on WEAPON...

12751113_1292311754129014_1597144425_n.jpg




check John Ellerbrock's DEEP WEAPON at Gates Underwater Housings for more info...

http://www.gateshousings.com/gates-news/deep-weapon-update/


REDMOTE-WEAPON-2.jpg
 
I've been wondering about some kind of rehousing. Maybe I'll design one an print it on the ol'makerbot. :)

hmmmm....
 
I'd say Epic and scarlet were really just Beta cameras for Weapon anyway. +1 required the HDMI port, There wasn't a great solution for audio input. Base IO would have been perfect, but never materialized, etc.
 
I'd say Epic and scarlet were really just Beta cameras for Weapon anyway. +1 required the HDMI port, There wasn't a great solution for audio input. Base IO would have been perfect, but never materialized, etc.

Tens of thousands of productions worldwide. Not sure that is beta really. DSMC2 represents a maturation of technology that didn't exist in 2009-2012/13, but I'd say the original DSMC cameras which so many now have modeled their current camera lineups after were a bit more than a test right?

People forget, but when the REDMOTE was implemented WiFi wasn't exactly normal fair in such compact forms.

Now that we have WiFi so well implemented in DSMC2 it's hard to find a reason to make a dedicated wireless controller such as the REDMOTE, but they are still used abroad at various levels of contentment.
 
Back
Top