Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Pre-production EPIC-Ms...

A while back Jim, you mentioned that some kind of stage 2.5 option was "under consideration" (post #37 in Q & A thread) for those stage 3 people who purchased the MX recently so they could maybe keep their red one MX or at least recoup some of the MX upgrade cost. I know this will probably flare the stage 2 fire... but I'm going to ask...

Jim is this still being considered?

Feel free to move this if I've put it in the wrong thread.
In a way, the Epic Light could substitute for a Stage 2.5 option. That is, instead of taking Stage 3, you exercise your option for a 12% discount on the camera-formerly-known-as Scarlet (assuming this deal is still on for the newly named Epic Light) and you still get to keep your R-1. It just boils down to whether you are satisfied with the un-announced specs of the camera and whether or not the discount will be allowed for it.
 
So does this push back the stage 3 people? Not going to pay for a whole new system. My MX is fine for now but I will be trading it in for the new one. I don't have a need to own 2 Red cameras.

Since it does not push back stage II, my take is that it will not delay stage III either ;)
 
How many can we get? Count me in!
 
I just placed an order with Kelly for one Epic M.
fingerscrossed2.gif
 
A while back Jim, you mentioned that some kind of stage 2.5 option was "under consideration" (post #37 in Q & A thread) for those stage 3 people who purchased the MX recently so they could maybe keep their red one MX or at least recoup some of the MX upgrade cost. I know this will probably flare the stage 2 fire... but I'm going to ask...

Jim is this still being considered?

Feel free to move this if I've put it in the wrong thread.

In a way, the Epic Light could substitute for a Stage 2.5 option. That is, instead of taking Stage 3, you exercise your option for a 12% discount on the camera-formerly-known-as Scarlet (assuming this deal is still on for the newly named Epic Light) and you still get to keep your R-1. It just boils down to whether you are satisfied with the un-announced specs of the camera and whether or not the discount will be allowed for it.


I would have to, with great respect, disagree.

It is specifically an amended option for the EPIC that has been discussed previously, and it is this that I am asking about:

An option that takes into account the fact that some stage 3 owners may have just recently upgraded to MX to maintain viable marketability on themselves and their red one's in their respective markets... a sizable investment without knowing the timetable we know now. I think many forget that upgrading the MX in some places may have been market driven in order to keep the camera renting while waiting for Epic... its not always a personal choice by the owner.

For those in Stage 3 that have followed Epics development and successes with bated breadth and loyalty, the Epic Light regardless of the name will probably not fill the niche we've carved out.

I ask because I think it would help some of us in the affore-mentioned "stage 3 MX boat" make some near term financial decisions. Knowing that there was a way to maintain or recoup the investment we made in the the MX upgrade either buy being able to keep our upgraded RED ones and pay a larger trade-up... or recoup some of the MX cost could make purchasing decisions a bit easier.
 
A. If the production Epic is not "machined," then how and of what is it made?

B. Before anyone can make a studied decision on the titanium version @$78M, how much weight do you save v. the production model?

Aside from the ego factor, eliminating 30-40% of the weight might be a big deal. I know it would be for me. Saving a pound probably not worth it. Having a brushed titanium body and traveling in the right circles=priceless.
 
I just placed an order with Kelly for one Epic M.
fingerscrossed2.gif

:emote_happyhappy: Good luck, Tom! :)

I'm thinking about throwing my hat back in the ring on this one. So on the fence it's not funny.

$60K impulse buy.... WTF is wrong with me. haha.
 
A. If the production Epic is not "machined," then how and of what is it made?
cast aluminium, just like Red One

B. Before anyone can make a studied decision on the titanium version @$78M, how much weight do you save v. the production model?

Aside from the ego factor, eliminating 30-40% of the weight might be a big deal. I know it would be for me. Saving a pound probably not worth it. Having a brushed titanium body and traveling in the right circles=priceless.

Only the lens mount is titanium, not the body. Titanium is actually heavier than aluminium. The benefit is that it is much stronger than aluminium.

The biggest benefit of Epic-M is that you would be getting it 2-3 months before Epic-X.
 
A. If the production Epic is not "machined," then how and of what is it made?

B. Before anyone can make a studied decision on the titanium version @$78M, how much weight do you save v. the production model?

Aside from the ego factor, eliminating 30-40% of the weight might be a big deal. I know it would be for me. Saving a pound probably not worth it. Having a brushed titanium body and traveling in the right circles=priceless.


I think Jim just threw out the Titanium option because someone asked about it. Titanium is 60% heavier than aluminum.
 
It just boils down to whether you are satisfied with the un-announced specs of the camera and whether or not the discount will be allowed for it.

For those in Stage 3 that have followed Epics development and successes with bated breadth and loyalty, the Epic Light regardless of the name will probably not fill the niche we've carved out.
Understand your disagreement. I was only pointing out an alternate plan if indeed the Epic Light is released with substantial features and in case the Stage 2.5 does not materialize. I am pondering the same thing. If I keep my Stage 3 R-1, I will have to come up with another 17,500 dollars plus the $10,500 for the difference (under a Stage 2.5 plan) making a total of $28,000 for the revised Stage 3 into a Stage 2.5. But this gives me an R-1 and an Epic X.

If I take the 12% discount on the Epic Light (if it is allowed) I should be able to get in for maybe $10,500 at the most (unknown variable at this point) and I still get to keep my R-1. Quite a savings between the two.
 
$60K impulse buy.... WTF is wrong with me. haha.

I did the math. I only need to make less than $11.5K during the Pre-production period to justify the purchase. I already have a feature lined up in Ecuador to cover that as long as my camera gets here in time.

Been hoping for first week in Jan. for a while now...
 
:emote_happyhappy: Good luck, Tom! :)

I'm thinking about throwing my hat back in the ring on this one. So on the fence it's not funny.

$60K impulse buy.... WTF is wrong with me. haha.

Hi Jeff:

It's only an impulse buy if you really think you'll get an EPIC stage 2 in two months.

-michael zaletel
 
Sent my email to Kelly...(so quick my little finger got cramp in it while typing) and I almost pushed the ENTER key through the back of the laptop to send it...

But by reading this thread Id say Im way to late.!!!
I'd just like to have one for its uniqueness more than anything.

Also.... I have Camera 158.. and by the looks of EPIX -X build times, I'll probably get mine about 2012 around the same time the world ends!
So my hidden agenda is that these hand built special order versions that are not in any QUE base (other than this email to kelly) may come to me way earlier... fingers crossed.

Only Jim and Kelly can share this information.. . pleeeeeeeeaaase...
 
So did I miss a post ...... Jim, are you saying that one can line jump for a price? or is this an after Stage 2 and 3? I guess what I'm asking is, will this throw Epic-x further out for us that don't have the extra cash to buy this model?
 
So did I miss a post ...... Jim, are you saying that one can line jump for a price? or is this an after Stage 2 and 3? I guess what I'm asking is, will this throw Epic-x further out for us that don't have the extra cash to buy this model?

Dave Jim made it very clear... that this will not change anyone's place in line or effect the production time-line a few posts back. :-)
 
Sent my email to Kelly...(so quick my little finger got cramp in it while typing) and I almost pushed the ENTER key through the back of the laptop to send it...

But by reading this thread Id say Im way to late.!!!
I'd just like to have one for its uniqueness more than anything.

Also.... I have Camera 158.. and by the looks of EPIX -X build times, I'll probably get mine about 2012 around the same time the world ends!
So my hidden agenda is that these hand built special order versions that are not in any QUE base (other than this email to kelly) may come to me way earlier... fingers crossed.

Only Jim and Kelly can share this information.. . pleeeeeeeeaaase...

As far as I understand it, I don't think your place in line will be determined by how early you sent your email to Kelly. Jim stated on page 1 that it is based on history.

" We'll accept requests/orders and allocate based on history.

Jim
___"
 
Back
Top