Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

October 30th Announcement Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five... I mean three Questions Regarding the Fixed Lense Scarlet

Five... I mean three Questions Regarding the Fixed Lense Scarlet

Jeff sorry for your disappointment. Remember though, in your list of things you have there you don't actually need any of those (except the Compact Flash) to go out and actually start shooting....

Actually, I have three questions for Jarred in this regard.

1. Can you plug a Scarlet 2/3 fixed lens camera into a computer (or portable hard drive) with a Firewire, USB, or Ethernet cable and record the footage that way rather than buying a prioritized Compact Flash component for the Scarlet? If this were possible, it would drastically cut costs for us poor student filmmakers. USB 2.0 problably doesn't have a sufficient data rate, but I think Firewire, Ethernet, ATA-133, or SATA-150 would be able to do it. For that matter, what manner of connector will the Scarlet actually use to send its data to the compact flash?

2. Regarding the above quote, can you do without an LCD screen for monitoring? I mean would it be possible, however awkward, to output SD/HD video live to a digital camcorder and use that for monitoring purposes. A similar question, what kind of data transfer protocol/cable will the Scarlet use to send data to its prioritized LCD screens? Is it something standard that could be tapped into, or is it prioritized? Will the Scarlet have any traditional S-Video or Firewire outputs?

3. Am I right in assuming that the Red Handle is necessary component to compliment the brain? Also, does it provide power for the camera (as implied on the Scarlet webpage) or is it also necessary to buy a battery pack along with the brain?

Of course I realize some of my ideas here would be clumsy, if not technicaly impossible. But I am just trying to figure out ways filmmaking students like myself can afford the most basic entry level of this amazing technology.
Sorry for all the questions.
Any kind of hint or response in this regard would be immeasurably appreciated.

Thanks for making the Cinema-scape a better place!

Best Regards,

Jeffrey J. Reale
:patriot:

P.S. Just to avoid confusion, I'm not the same Jeff that Jarred Land is responding to up there; I am not disappointed.
 
Last edited:
This is my first post here at Red and it is sure to be followed by many more. I have followed RED's development since the prototypes first showed up. I remember reading about RED three years ago in popular science and being amazed by the amount of innovation coming from such a small (then) company. I guess I never registered because I was utilizing other formats and RED seemed so far away from me. Now that we are getting closer to the Scarlet, I have been putting off camera upgrades, especially this new batch of VDSLR's. I know that RED is committed to giving its customers what they want and while they gear is pricy, it is an amazing bargain. As a photographer, I am hoping that the Scarlet S35 is the perfect synthesis of still and motion technology. I know that the focus is on video (which I love as a filmmaker), but I hope that the still function gets equal attention. I am looking for a stills camera that can compete with the best that Canon and Nikon have to offer. There have been no real discussion on the megapixel numbers in the still mode, as well as the still fps. Also, I love the electronic control over Canon and Nikon lenses and look forward to more info on the RED digital lenses. This may be the most exciting time in independent cinema and hobby photography. I love this system so much, I am giving up purchasing a car to get my hands on the system. I wish there were more companies like RED around. Jim, you and your team's contributions are truly revolutionary. It's funny, I had an idea a couple of years back for professional cinema lenses that had focus motors in them that could be controlled using a touch-screen or laptop interface, eliminating the need for a focus puller. I was shocked to see this technology implemented in the new RED cams. We should all be counting our blessings that there is a cinema company that thinks like we do.

Welcome to the family Andrew... great first post.
 
I bought Red 1590 and then 2000 out of the desire to use Red 1 on actual productions. We rarely ever use 2 camera but happily keep the 2nd to allow us never to fall fowl to camera problems.

Because of this it makes very little sense to take option 2.

I'm right there with you. I bought two REDs and will be able to afford to upgrade one, but I'm unsure how, or if, to execute the 2nd.

What I'm hoping is that they'll keep a cross-grade option to Scarlet, the 17% off that was under consideration. My business would do well with one Scarlet and one Epic - and I'll then keep RED ONE for myself, in perpetuity...

I'm definitely in for one Stage 3, but with the 2nd cam, I'm not sure which way to go.

The cheaper option would be to just execute one and let the other go...I have so many thousands wrapped up in accessories that I don't want to replicate, and they will become that much harder to sell...

Decisions, decisions. Grateful for all these options - it's just a challenge to know what choice to make, though I'm sure by the time my numbers are up, it will all have sorted itself out...
 
This is just a general question, and I'm not expecting any firm answers just yet, but if I were to purchase a Fixed 2/3" Scarlet along with the necessary modules, would it be possible later down the line to trade in the brain for a S35 Scarlet? I only ask this because being able to get my work started sooner would pay dividends which would hopefully fund an upgrade to the S35.

RED has given me a reason to look forward to the end of the month for two consecutive months now. To say I'm excited for the 30th of November would be an understatement.
 
Last edited:
is the new Epic family of mount significantly different from the last mount?
Would the Visual products mount BNCR mount work on the new PL?
 
This is just a general question, and I'm not expecting any firm answers just yet, but if I were to purchase a Fixed 2/3" Scarlet along with the necessary modules, would it be possible later down the line to trade in the brain for a S35 Scarlet? I only ask this because being able to get my work started sooner would pay dividends which would hopefully fund an upgrade to the S35.

RED has given me a reason to look forward to the end of the month for two consecutive months now. To say I'm excited for the 30th of November would be an understatement.

I've never heard Jim make mention of any such possibility. One alternative is simply selling on the used market, the R1 seems to have kept its value pretty well so far.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Battistella
But there is a monitoring headphone output for sure, right?

David
of course.. on the brain :)

Please make it a full size 1/4" socket for robustness!
 
I've never heard Jim make mention of any such possibility. One alternative is simply selling on the used market, the R1 seems to have kept its value pretty well so far.

That is probably what I'll have to do, but I'm just worried that the market will be flooded with Scarlets. If I do run into such a predicament, I'll probably figure something out.
 
If so, I'll bolt on an M203; instant pyro.

:sifone::gun::emote_head_explode:
 
The Lens for the 8x fixed lens 2/3s ( filter tray and all ) is done btw... and it is quite an incredible piece of kit.

I'll try and take some photos of the assembly next week as it is pretty cool to see.

hooray :) can't wait to see em. after all the excitement about the primes it feels like we will get similar quality with the fixed. and that just makes me go flip around in my room like a rubber ball.

ticktock...
 
The Lens for the 8x fixed lens 2/3s ( filter tray and all ) is done btw... and it is quite an incredible piece of kit.

I'll try and take some photos of the assembly next week as it is pretty cool to see.

This is very cool - I think that once this whole program gains Tattoo-testing traction, that it is going to move along faster than people think, with so much happening behind the scenes already...plus, the usual beta testing suspects work very efficiently and do a very good job...rooting for 'em to battle test these for the rest of us.

And should they decide they're too busy, I'm shooting some pretty interesting projects myself right now that would benefit from yes, higher resolution...

shot my first 4.5K footy for one of them today, at 11mm, and oh my my...gorgeous.
 
"It's funny, I had an idea a couple of years back for professional cinema lenses that had focus motors in them that could be controlled using a touch-screen or laptop interface, eliminating the need for a focus puller..."

Speaking for 1st AC's everywhere...how is this a good thing? Another career being replaced by technology. I say get rid of that feature so I can pay the mortgage, or buy more RED's.
 
Last edited:
I hope your correct but I can't read it that way (I have tried)..

(Thinking positively) Maybe they will do it in chunks:

the first 500 get their camera from an option 2 choice then they get thier option 3 camera AS the next 500 get option 2 cameras... This would be good. The option 2 guys get the priority Jim is wanting and early adopters don't end up with an Epic after much much later adopters...

If Epic is a more complicated camera than red (seems so) I assume the it will not fly out of the factory. Without doing it in chunks it could mean a guy with camera (for argument sake) 250 and 251 not receiving a Epic till many many months (maybe over a year) after some guy with camera 4000ish.

Actual as I think through this example I realise that this scenario would probably trouble the Red sensibility so I guess they will find a solution.

kind regards

Michael L

I can't read it any other way than that people who trade in their RED (option 3) will have to wait until all the people who keep their RED (option 2) get their Epic. Since I'm pretty high up the list (441) this is kind of sad. Although I am not doing anything wrong I am now somehow in a less important group of customers because I want to follow RED's original plan of trade-in.

I still think it is an amazing deal to trade-in a RED and even more so with all the extra accessories so I am not complaining here.

My only hope is that people will realize that keeping your RED is more of a sentimental choice then a economical one. Keeping your RED will cost you $9,0000,- extra and $13,500 if you want a Mysterium-X sensor in it while I seem to remember that a Scarlet s35 would sell for $6,000,-, they only advantage the RED One would have is higher frame rates - but for that you already have the Epic. Other then that it is not compatible with the new modules, it's heavy, clunky and eats batteries.

So people, don't do it! Don't keep you RED One! Please! :biggrinjester:
 
I'm not sure where this idea came from.

The monitor outputs on RED ONE are 10-bit.

EPIC will also support 10-bit.
Stuart,

I always thought that the banding we see in the monitoring and the LCD was due to the fact we were watching an 8-bit signal.

David
 
So people, don't do it! Don't keep you RED One! Please! :biggrinjester:

Hehehe, no way! :hand: Sorry! Now go to the end of the queue :emote_whack:

Seriously though, I think the cameras will be fulfilled very quickly as the delivery needs to be taken within 30 days. I guess no more than 60 days between stage 2 and stage 3.
 
Deep breath

Deep breath

You know...

It’s been my experience that no matter what you do you can’t make everybody happy.

But just to keep things in perspective, when Sony announced the new additions to the XDCAM EX line a week or so ago, I got precisely nothing as far as incentives or upgrade offers.

Not really a problem, as the EX-3 brings in as much business as the RED does. It’s just the status quo. If you work in the computer hardware or software business, still photography, etc. it’s just the same. Every couple of years you drop a lot of cash to keep your equipment current. It’s the nature of the beast.

The fact that I’m getting full trade in value against a new camera from RED is a fundamental sea change. I’ve never received anything like it before. Have you?

Would I like to be in stage one, you betcha.

Will I?

Uhm, at #1644 that would be a no.

Will I choose (yep that’s the word, choose) to wait until stage three, I haven’t decided yet. But will you hear me bitchin about the fact that other people choose (there’s that word again) to spend more money and opt in to an earlier stage? You know we’re right back at no.

Hey I get that some people had expectations that there would be a direct linear progression through the serial numbers by ship date, and what was delivered was more complex than that.

But fundamentally, we are all still getting a huge loyalty bonus, no matter how it falls out.

Pretty much everywhere in life, if you bring more resources to bear, you create advantages and options for yourself.

If you really want to get in early, in the grand scheme of things less than ten grand shouldn’t be an insurmountable obstacle.

But enough of that, let me just say thanks, and figure out where I’m going to fit in a couple of more cases in the truck :-)

Steve
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top