Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

October 30th Announcement Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
RedCode 250... does that mean more then 6 times less compression?
And more then 6 times the file-size?
Or does 250 stand for something els?

/carl

I don't think Red has made this answer public yet, as far as what the file sizes will be. What they have said is that the numbers no longer relate to the Mbits per second at 4K. (I think that's what they currently relate to.)

With all the new frame sizes and frame rates that will come along with new cameras, they need a way to measure compression that is independant of the total frame size and frame rate. So it's likely that the numbers refer to the amount of Mbits per some fixed tile of pixels, per individual frame. That's just my guess. No guess as to what that ratio is.

So I think the answer to your question is, probably somewhat larger files, (5K is around 1.5x as many total pixels as 4K: 25/16) but not to degree you are considering. One of the main advantages of Red is the compression ratio they achieve while maintaining a high level of visual fidelity to the original. It seems likely they will continue that advantage.

IBloom
 
The Lens for the 8x fixed lens 2/3s ( filter tray and all ) is done btw... and it is quite an incredible piece of kit.

I'll try and take some photos of the assembly next week as it is pretty cool to see.
 
I'm torn between the Fixed 2/3 scarlett and interchangeable... and how to change my username to my real name??
 
The Lens for the 8x fixed lens 2/3s ( filter tray and all ) is done btw... and it is quite an incredible piece of kit.

I'll try and take some photos of the assembly next week as it is pretty cool to see.
I cant wait to see that!
 
Hi Jarred, Jim and all!

Question again...I seem to read different answers to this question all over the place...some say it's obvious if one reads the announcement, but still, I would like your comment.

Can I pass on the Epic S35 Brain (Stage 1-4) and keep using my RedOne, and then trade in the RedOne for a 17.500 credit towards the FF35 when that becomes available? When the Epic system was first introduced I thought this was the case...of course everything can change and the current offer/reward is amazing... but I would appreciate an official RED answer to this question.

Kind regards!
 
There's no doubt about that! Now if you postpone the deadline for the Epic-X upgrade until the end of the year I think you may be shocked at how many additional RED ONEs you will move given recent announcements....in fact you might deplete your present inventory of RED ONE cameras, which is what you want leading up to the roll out of the new cameras...Think about it... :attention9ha:

Sorry, it was worth a try! :-)


It was about a month ago when I mentioned that it was a really good thing to be a RED ONE owner... :-)

Jim
 
The RED Electronic FF lenses are designed with motion tracking and motion recording as a foundation however, so the performance of those lenses in both motor speed, lens noise, breathing, etc. will far exceed ( we believe ) other electronic lenses on the market.

There is something in those renders of the RED Electronic FF lens that nobody has picked up yet.... something that is actually pretty incredible ( and a first )

Jarred,
I presume you mean 'frame' motion/size recording which sounds like it will open up a new range of abilities for you...anti breathing being only one.
 
This is my first post here at Red and it is sure to be followed by many more. I have followed RED's development since the prototypes first showed up. I remember reading about RED three years ago in popular science and being amazed by the amount of innovation coming from such a small (then) company. I guess I never registered because I was utilizing other formats and RED seemed so far away from me. Now that we are getting closer to the Scarlet, I have been putting off camera upgrades, especially this new batch of VDSLR's. I know that RED is committed to giving its customers what they want and while they gear is pricy, it is an amazing bargain. As a photographer, I am hoping that the Scarlet S35 is the perfect synthesis of still and motion technology. I know that the focus is on video (which I love as a filmmaker), but I hope that the still function gets equal attention. I am looking for a stills camera that can compete with the best that Canon and Nikon have to offer. There have been no real discussion on the megapixel numbers in the still mode, as well as the still fps. Also, I love the electronic control over Canon and Nikon lenses and look forward to more info on the RED digital lenses. This may be the most exciting time in independent cinema and hobby photography. I love this system so much, I am giving up purchasing a car to get my hands on the system. I wish there were more companies like RED around. Jim, you and your team's contributions are truly revolutionary. It's funny, I had an idea a couple of years back for professional cinema lenses that had focus motors in them that could be controlled using a touch-screen or laptop interface, eliminating the need for a focus puller. I was shocked to see this technology implemented in the new RED cams. We should all be counting our blessings that there is a cinema company that thinks like we do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top