Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

October 30th Announcement Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
did they make an announcement on when the scarlet would be released or did i miss that?
 
I think that is incorrect. I'm pretty sure you can use your RED ONE as credit towards any camera body. It's the Epic-X package that just is most immediate and probably has the best value (if it's what you're looking for).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

How I understand it. Its not 30 days from now but 30 days from when RED "contacts" you for a choice. That starts with RED #6 to RED #70??

So it could take 60 to 90 days for BETA testing (generous) Then 3 to 6 months for production units. Then depending on capacity. How many more months?

Meaning EPIC-X could roll out over a year or months. RED learned a lot, Im sure they expanded capacities as much as R&R. Hired more people. etc etc.

But those worried they need to make a 30 day decision anytime soon, I belie ve are mistaken. unless super low and deciding between Stage 1 and Stage 2. If they select Stage 2, then again, I read it as ... RED will contact them when Stage 2 (or 3) is ready... and THEN you will have 30 days from that point of contact. To DECIDE. Keep it, trade it. etc etc.

I think its very reasonable for them to NOT want situations like before where deposits were placed and then A YEAR went by before purchase.

They want to reward RED ONE owners (as efficiently as possible). Then complete that trade-in program and resume normal sales based on demand.

cheers!
 
Thank you for your answer, but can you tell me what you think this system will do?

Djordje, my apologies for heating your head with fuzzy words.

My guess, but can't say whether it is even a cultivated guess, is that the sensors recognize the rotation angles of the camera and this is combined with the focus and iris setting. For instance, when the camera in panned and tilted, the iris and focus follows predefined settings. In addition, if the camera is say on the top of a crane, perhaps one can check tilt & pan from Redmote. But all this is about speculation. Soomer or later we will hear.

And yes, I sleep about 8 to 10 hours every night. :-)
 
Maybe the GPS is for all the people complaining about stolen cameras?

There are soo many ways in which that GPS can be used...just wait for REDCINE-X to mature...
 
Falling awkwardly between option 2 and 3?

Falling awkwardly between option 2 and 3?

I bought Red 1590 and then 2000 out of the desire to use Red 1 on actual productions. We rarely ever use 2 camera but happily keep the 2nd to allow us never to fall fowl to camera problems.

Because of this it makes very little sense to take option 2.

I would love to take option 2 but I already bought our back up camera (another Red).

So basically we must wait till up to 6000 people get the option to expand their kit to include a back up camera before I get a Epic? Having to wait till later Red adopters who picked up a Red 1 AFTER it was proved production ready dosen't feel like it is the 'Red spirit'?

Is there any others troubled by this? What do you reckon is the answer? Take option 2 and offload the Red 1? Of loading a camera doesn't feel very loyal?

I feel that even though it is a mostly a win win situation we are left with a slightly lesser win.

I want Epic asap and have shot nearly exclusively Red since even before 1590 came. What to do?

regards

Michael

PS I'd feel sorry for some Red guy in the first 50 with 2 cameras having to wait till after me (1590 and 2000) before he could get his hands on a Epic.

PPS Apart from this one niggle everything else is very exciting (and it all feels realistic which makes me happy)
 
What are you talking about? All the Nikkor AF lenses work on all the Nikon DSLRs I've ever tried, including my lenses I own and use on my Nikon DSLRs almost daily. Maybe I missed something with the D60, but all is fine with the D40, D70, D2[X], D3, D90, etc..


actually some of the older nikon lenses don't have an AF motor in them, so the motor was built into the camera. Some of the newer cheaper nikon DSLRS lack that motor and thus can only manually focus those lenses.
 
Jared --

Nikon mount issues may come up, which you should be aware of. Nikon themselves fucked this up.

I bought a D60 because I own several AF lenses from their still camera line (loyal customer!). The autofocus does not work. Only "DX" model lenses will autofocus on any of their digital SLRs.

This could potentially affect your Nikon mount development. Make sure it's compatible with the tens of thousands of non-DX autofocus lenses, por favor. The focus tracking is highly appreciated, as long as it works with my lenses.

Totally incorrect. It has nothing to do with DX (APS-C / 'S35') and FX (35mm / 'FF35') format lenses and it applies only to the D40 and D60, not their entire DSLR line.

In order to make the D40 and D60 much more affordable, the camera-driven AF screw-drive motor required only by the oldest Nikon AF lenses was excluded. These two cameras can only focus with the "new" (meaning the last 10 years or so) AF-S type lenses, as those include an internal AF motor driven electronically by the camera's AF sensor.

This information is readily available. It is impossible to read a review of the D40 or D60 without being told this information. B&H even includes a big red warning message stating "AF NOT SUPPORTED ON D40 and D60 CAMERAS" on all non-AF-S lenses. A failure on your part to do any research does not constitute a fuck-up on Nikon's part.
 
Hey Harry,

Go ahead and imagine it. LDS support means more demand for ARRI lenses. I am quite sure they were happy to get it on there..

Jay

But Jay, ARRI does not make lenses. Zeiss makes lenses. Zeiss would certainly be glad to have more demand for their lenses.
But ARRI makes film and digital cameras that Red competes directly with. They had, in the past, resisted opening up their proprietary protocol in LDS. Why would they suddenly change their minds?
I'm not saying that Red reverse-engineered to get LDS support; nor am I saying that ARRI decided to open the system. I was simply wondering.
Cheers,
Harry
 
There is something in those renders of the RED Electronic FF lens that nobody has picked up yet.... something that is actually pretty incredible ( and a first )

Hmmm...I'll make some guesses on that:

My guess is that the handle grip on the other side of the Gunner and lens has a powered servozoom unit that interfaces with the lens gears. This servozoom unit functions like the servozoom on a B4 2/3" HD EFP/ENG zoom, with multi-speed zoom rocker lever, start/stop switch, and a lever or button to switch between powered zoom and manual zoom capability. Most of this is on the other side of the render we can't see. The grip for the servozoom portion is the 45 degree handle (lower left side of render), which is adjustable to about any angle you need. This setup enables lightweight run n' gun shooting of motion and stills subjects, in a camera setup with the functionality of an EFP/ENG camera system...in short it is a true next generation hybrid motion and stills setup. This could effectively make any RED Electronic Lens a 3-Way Lens - stills and EFP/Hybrid when used with the Gunner/Servozoom, or manual cine when used without the Gunner/Servozoom unit.

Power and interface to the gunner and servozoom unit is supplied through the two cables that plug into the lower front of the camera. The Gunner houses electronics that help in AF functions - laser rangefinder, etc.

The above is all just purely my own guesses...I have no insider knowledge from RED on this whatsoever. If the above guesses are in any way accurate, I'm a way happy camper :)
 
I am super excited that the REDmote is only $550ish. That made my day. The Red Mattebox, oh wow. I'll probably still wind up buying the Redrock mirco one, but damn it's gonna make that a tough decision. Fantastic work Red team!

Any chance of getting an idea how soon the 2/3 Scarlets will roll out after the Stage 4 Epics? A few weeks, 2-3 months, 4-6 months? I understand if you can't, but it can't hurt to ask.
 
I think you misinterpreted the "option" option. I don't think you wait out option 1 , then option 2 and then finally option 3 - I believe that when it comes to your turn in the cue, you make a choice of one of the options (though option 1, I'm sure will be gone by the time it reaches 1590). Or did miss something in the announcement?

Cheers,
Dale

I bought Red 1590 and then 2000 out of the desire to use Red 1 on actual productions. We rarely ever use 2 camera but happily keep the 2nd to allow us never to fall fowl to camera problems.

Because of this it makes very little sense to take option 2.

I would love to take option 2 but I already bought our back up camera (another Red).

So basically we must wait till up to 6000 people get the option to expand their kit to include a back up camera before I get a Epic? Having to wait till later Red adopters who picked up a Red 1 AFTER it was proved production ready dosen't feel like it is the 'Red spirit'?

Is there any others troubled by this? What do you reckon is the answer? Take option 2 and offload the Red 1? Of loading a camera doesn't feel very loyal?

I feel that even though it is a mostly a win win situation we are left with a slightly lesser win.

I want Epic asap and have shot nearly exclusively Red since even before 1590 came. What to do?

regards

Michael

PS I'd feel sorry for some Red guy in the first 50 with 2 cameras having to wait till after me (1590 and 2000) before he could get his hands on a Epic.

PPS Apart from this one niggle everything else is very exciting (and it all feels realistic which makes me happy)
 
Hmmm...I'll make some guesses on that:

My guess is that the handle grip on the other side of the Gunner and lens has a powered servozoom unit that interfaces with the lens gears. This servozoom unit functions like the servozoom on a B4 2/3" HD EFP/ENG zoom, with multi-speed zoom rocker lever, start/stop switch, and a lever or button to switch between powered zoom and manual zoom capability. Most of this is on the other side of the render we can't see. The grip for the servozoom portion is the 45 degree handle (lower left side of render), which is adjustable to about any angle you need. This setup enables lightweight run n' gun shooting of motion and stills subjects, in a camera setup with the functionality of an EFP/ENG camera system...in short it is a true next generation hybrid motion and stills setup. This could effectively make any RED Electronic Lens a 3-Way Lens - stills and EFP/Hybrid when used with the Gunner/Servozoom, or manual cine when used without the Gunner/Servozoom unit.

Power and interface to the gunner and servozoom unit is supplied through the two cables that plug into the lower front of the camera. The Gunner houses electronics that help in AF functions - laser rangefinder, etc.

The above is all just purely my own guesses...I have no insider knowledge from RED on this whatsoever. If the above guesses are in any way accurate, I'm a way happy camper :)


You have a good eye Steve. I hope you are right.
 
Iris ?
 
Bulldog

There seems to be a RED follow focus in there........

So how much and when ?
 
Hmmm...I'll make some guesses on that:

My guess is that the handle grip on the other side of the Gunner and lens has a powered servozoom unit that interfaces with the lens gears. This servozoom unit functions like the servozoom on a B4 2/3" HD EFP/ENG zoom, with multi-speed zoom rocker lever, start/stop switch, and a lever or button to switch between powered zoom and manual zoom capability. Most of this is on the other side of the render we can't see. The grip for the servozoom portion is the 45 degree handle (lower left side of render), which is adjustable to about any angle you need. This setup enables lightweight run n' gun shooting of motion and stills subjects, in a camera setup with the functionality of an EFP/ENG camera system...in short it is a true next generation hybrid motion and stills setup. This could effectively make any RED Electronic Lens a 3-Way Lens - stills and EFP/Hybrid when used with the Gunner/Servozoom, or manual cine when used without the Gunner/Servozoom unit.

You think the Gunner is placed where it could be a handle? Looking at the shoulder mount and imagining it on my shoulder it seems like the gunner would be just in front of your shoulder making it difficult to reach with your hand.

You are the run and gun expert though so if you think it is possible I will believe you!

EDIT: Actually I think I miss read your post. You are talking about the REDhandle I think...
 
I find it surprising that I seem to be the one of the few people that is interested in the hybrid stills motion capabilities of the new series.

I was sold on the video capabilities on day one but very little has been said or asked about the stills....

Maybe Jim, or Jarred, or someone from RED can give of us some hints?

Start up time
Shutter lag
Shutter speed range(min-max)
Autofocus (will it hunt in low light it or will it make me happy?)
Will the RAW still format be usable in something like LightRoom?

Right now I have to carry my HPX500, 5DMII, 1DMIII and related gear... my back is getting sore...

Thanks guys! I can't wait to start shooting RED!!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top