Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

October 30th Announcement Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the disclaimer for the Oct. 29th owner deadline and wondered if Reds purchased after would also have option for trade/upgrade... thanks again!

you will also have the opportunity to purchase a Scarlet with similar functionality, better in some cases, for substantially less money. you might have to wait awhile, though, but if you have waited it out this long without a commitment, that shouldn't be a problem...

i am guessing that strong secondary market for RED ONE will also develop once the EPIC starts shipping...that will be another good option for those still contemplating.
 
VC

VC

So Jarred,

Do we get to hear about the VC lens feature?

...and thanks for breathing so much new life into our world!
 
Due to the smaller brain size and lower power draw, the D.C power input connector is a smaller 1B shell size. It's also male gender as is common on most other professional cameras.

So existing D.C power units will need an adaptor cable.

excellent, is it wired the same so that existing cables/power sources would work?
 
What happend with this sentence?

"The 15 bit output delivers dynamic range you have always wished for"

I cannot find it and I'm sure that this sentence was in announce thread.

Post #10
Read the text above the picture
 
A final comment regarding the Red lenses and PL mount option. They look like excellent lenses - already geared for focus pulling, no breathing etc. But for nature videographers we tend to use only the extremes - ultrawide, ultralong or ultra close up. The middle focal lengths don't get used so much. With the Scarlet 2/3", the only way to get ultrawide would be with (for example) a Zeiss B4 mount DigiPrime 3.9mm, which costs such a huge amount of money it negates the entire value proposition of the Scarlet. The reason DSLR lenses are so important for Scarlet is that they offer the extremes. A Scarlet S35 can go ultrawide with a Sigma 12-24mm, which gives a FoV of over 100 degrees. And it can go ultralong with a Canon 800mm, or even (in my case) with a 1200mm apochromatic telescope which costs a third of what the Canon 800mm does yet delivers higher resolution. Scarlet can go ultraclose with any off-the-shelf DSLR macro lens.

The Red lenses are probably a good choice for cinematographers doing movies about people - you need middle focal lengths for that. But for nature videographers, the Canon or Nikon mounts are critically important because this makes possible a wide range of affordable lenses for the extremes. Hence, the bit in the announcement about full electronic mounts for these lenses was critically important, and appreciated.
 
There is something in those renders of the RED Electronic FF lens that nobody has picked up yet.... something that is actually pretty incredible ( and a first )

Has this been elaborated on? If not, ... please feel free :)

And a big THANK YOU to the Red team for pushing the limits. Thank you for an impressive RedCine-X. Take your time and bring us your freakin' Scarlets when they are ready.

This is being felt not only in redland but in the whole cameraworld. Just a little quote from Canon, ending a sentence about one of their new cameras with "... in what is becoming an increasingly competitive market." ... :driving:
 
Doug,

Among other genres, I also do a lot of wildlife, nature, and sports production with my RED One cameras. My lens kits are exclusively Nikon and Canon, for the reasons you listed (mobility, weight, bulk, frequently long and super wide focal lengths, etc).

I'm convinced that RED is very sensitive to the needs of shooters in these genres. In fact, wildlife, nature, and sports are some Jim Jannard's personal favorite genres to shoot. Subject to change of course, the RED Electronic Lenses listed in the December 3 announcement of last year were: 15-25mm f2.8, 25-100mm f2.8 AF, 70-200mm f2.8 AF, and 300mm f2.8 AF.

Using the RE lenses for these genres, on a FF35 Epic or Scarlet, the 15-25mm zoom would cover wide needs quite nicely. The 70-200mm zoom would get a lot of use, especially if RED offers 1.4x and 2x extenders, as would the 300mm. Let's not assume that RED will stop there. They may eventually offer a wider zoom - maybe an 10-15mm. I'm guessing they may also eventually offer a longer zoom, maybe a 100-400mm f2.8. It would also not surprise me to eventually see RED offer an electronic 10:1 or even 15:1 super-zoom, maybe 18-180mm, or even 18-270mm, at f2.8. If the RED Electronic Lenses are as good as I think they'll be, I could see myself eventually selling off all my Canon and Nikon lenses and strictly using RE Lenses for all my motion and stills needs. We'll see...

Having lighter, higher frame rate cameras that can use electronic RED, Canon, or Nikon lenses, and fully utilize the lens' electronic capabilities, is a great indication that RED is taking care of those of us who shoot mobile productions (and stills) using wide to long 35mm stills lenses (mostly zooms). RED has definitely been listening to our input...

RED Team...you seriously ROCK! Thanks...
 
One thing I like in my Red1 is that I can attach my red drive at the back of it... And slide it backwards until it counterbalances the weight of a big/huge telephoto lens... I can't see anyway to do so in those renders... looks all cleaner and nicer, but how do we use the red 1 drive, and how about balance with a lighter camera body (unless we want to use a heavy cheese plate) ? I know.. mean and practical, but I'm shooting wildlife, and I'm not alone here doing so...

Dont worry there is a new accessory for that , and there are bolt locations for you so you can still use your old cradle if you wanted to.
 
RED electronic lens - red markings

RED electronic lens - red markings

Another interesting thing on picture with gunner configurationa and RED electronic lens:

There is 3'6'' focused distance displayed with red color.
Does it mean that focused distance is displayed with red color?
 
Very disappointing indeed. Was expecting the Scarlet to be released in couple of months. Honestly might have to go for another option at this point of time.
 
Dont worry there is a new accessory for that , and there are bolt locations for you so you can still use your old cradle if you wanted to.

Hey Jarred-
Will there be a new RED drive? Something like a $1,000 dollar, 640 or 750GB module that clicks right in to the back, and than has FW and SATA ports on the side, so the module itself can be offloaded just like the old RED drive? I think this could be very useful, and more economical for many. I was hoping to use SSD as my high capacity media with my Scarlet, but with the module at $1500 without the media itself, I think it may be a few years before that comes around. So if there were a DSMC-centric new RED drive, that'd really be great. Thanks!
Peace,

-Harry
 
It seems Red company is going along the Big Hollywood boys club, sure I understand the decadation of fellow & first come owners...but I thought it would be nice to see some more Scarlet news. First news to our loyal customers and the rest has to wait.

No doubt about it, I was disappointed to not hear more about the 2/3 Scarlet.

But you should understand that "big boys" like Mark Pederson, Steve Gibby and others, who can afford multiple RED Ones and will no doubt take most of the Tattoo production, spend the big bucks that subsidizes RED's R&D.

Effectively, they are paying for all of us little guys, because without them, I doubt Jim could afford to develop Scarlet.

This isn't good against evil here. I think all the abovementioned people are relatively small independent filmmakers. I seem to recall that even Peter Jackson has expressed the idea that RED lets him get back into more independent, less big budget, filmmaking.

So relax. Waiting a month just gives you more time to get your money together, no?

D
 
budget (full size) xlr module planned by chance?

Thanks.

later,
Jason
 
Jared --

Nikon mount issues may come up, which you should be aware of. Nikon themselves fucked this up.

I bought a D60 because I own several AF lenses from their still camera line (loyal customer!). The autofocus does not work. Only "DX" model lenses will autofocus on any of their digital SLRs.

This could potentially affect your Nikon mount development. Make sure it's compatible with the tens of thousands of non-DX autofocus lenses, por favor. The focus tracking is highly appreciated, as long as it works with my lenses.
 
LDS Supported!

That's big for me. :hurray:

Just noticed this as well:

LDS and /i Data enabled PL Mount

YES!!! LDS Support. THANK YOU JIM.

I've been bugging you... and you DO listen!

Good move.

M

No kidding, Mark. It is like a dream come true. We did ask for it and it is there! So exciting! I want it tomorrow :cheers2:

1st thing I noticed and I had to plow through 32 pages before anyone had noticed LOL :iagree:
 
3Axis Gyro

3Axis Gyro

3Axis Gyro!!!
Can someone from Red team confirm?
1.Is it for motion tracking data?
2.Will Scarlet have it?
3.Is it modular?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

THANX RED FOR EVERYTHING THANX RED FOR EVERYTHING THANX RED FOR EVERYTHING THANX RED FOR EVERYTHING THANX RED FOR EVERYTHING
:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:
 
Jared --

Nikon mount issues may come up, which you should be aware of. Nikon themselves fucked this up.

I bought a D60 because I own several AF lenses from their still camera line (loyal customer!). The autofocus does not work. Only "DX" model lenses will autofocus on any of their digital SLRs.

This could potentially affect your Nikon mount development. Make sure it's compatible with the tens of thousands of non-DX autofocus lenses, por favor. The focus tracking is highly appreciated, as long as it works with my lenses.

For that there would need to be a motor build into the mount that drives the focus gear, which would be complex and add costs - since the Nikon mount is the same price as the Canon and RED that seems unlikely.
 
VEry good news. Thanks Jim.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top