Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

New 4.7 inch screen doesn't rotate?

I am thinking of picking up the new small monitor and mounting it on this badass little head from rrs: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BC-18-Micro-Ball-Clamp

That little head is truly amazing, crazy solid, and such a cool locking mechanism.

pop a small Swiss plate on the screen and should be a perfect combination.

I have the 7in and it's awesome, but that small light screen will be great for gimbal setup and for backpack hiking setup.
 
If you opt for the 5" touch, you would only need a Lemo A adapter to get it to work, the Monitor has a Lemo port built in...
 
The connectors are keyed. There is only one way to mount them. On top facing back, or on side facing out if you fold it upwards.

Strange, that's not at all what I garnered from the item description:

use the built in 180° image rotation feature and mount the display to the secondary (side) EVF/LCD port for a low profile secondary viewing surface.

In your example, you'd never need (or even be able to) put it in a position to utilize 180º image rotation while using the pogo connection as described. It also certainly wouldn't be "low profile" sticking up from the sides. That description reads to me like you attach to the sides and fold it down with the screen facing out and enable 180º image flip so the image is right-side up. Am I misunderstanding this?



I am thinking of picking up the new small monitor and mounting it on this badass little head from rrs: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BC-18-Micro-Ball-Clamp

That little head is truly amazing, crazy solid, and such a cool locking mechanism.

pop a small Swiss plate on the screen and should be a perfect combination.

I have the 7in and it's awesome, but that small light screen will be great for gimbal setup and for backpack hiking setup.

Cool looking little head, but I'm not sure I'd like how high it makes everything go. The head is 1.8" tall (might include threaded portion, so it would maybe be shorter) and you need the Lemo B adapter on the LCD, which is .8" tall. So you're starting to push 2.5" off the top of the camera by the time you've even reached where the monitor attaches.
 
Can someone with the 4.7 inch have a real close look and tell me there's small faint white vertical lines similar to what the 7 inch had?

I had to return my 7 inch as to me it's unusable and a design flaw, but now I need a replacement and kinda stuck.... Hoping the 4.7 inch has no issues.

(Look extremely close in bright conditions)
 
At first, I was also bummed about no rotation on the new 4.7" but I think it will make the new monitor way more robust than the old monitors as the swivel mount was the weakest part.
 
Not gonna lie... the fact that the 4.7 inch monitor does not rotate is a major bummer. If the color and contrast ratio is anything like the 7 inch, I will probably end up getting it anyway.
 
At first, I was also bummed about no rotation on the new 4.7" but I think it will make the new monitor way more robust than the old monitors as the swivel mount was the weakest part.

Just wondering, have there been a lot of complaints about the swivel component breaking that you can reference, or are you basing that off of a personal impression that it is likely to break because it's a swivel?
 
Just wondering, have there been a lot of complaints about the swivel component breaking that you can reference, or are you basing that off of a personal impression that it is likely to break because it's a swivel?


the 5 inch touch monitors are tanks
 
Mainly referring to the new 7" as they are much lighter and feel somewhat flimsy when compared to a 5".

Ive owned two 7" Touch's and both felt weak in the hinge.
 
Can anyone else clarify the item description for the 4.7" sounding like you can reverse pogo mounting and use image flip?

I posted it earlier in response to Dave saying it can't be laid down against the side of the body... But this says otherwise:

or use the built in 180° image rotation feature and mount the display to the secondary (side) EVF/LCD port for a low profile secondary viewing surface.


 
I thought this was cool. Still need the adapter to make it useful for the 4.7 red monitor.. But cool none the less

https://thextender.com/shop/xtender-210-friction-mounts/

I think I've seen some people use that with the Odyssey7Q... ultimately it's still kind of a bust, since it would be an investment of about $600+ just to get swivel on the LCD. I think I've come to terms that I'll use my SmallHD 502 on a Noga arm or something if I need crazy angles. The best solution would be if we could have that swivel action of the friction mount, but with a pogo on the bottom (to interface with the camera) and a pogo on the top (for the monitor to bolt onto). Then you might be able to keep it to .5-.75 inches thick, no additional cables or adapters... I'm going to sketch that idea quick. (Ultimately, it will probably be too costly to make something like that.)
 
This is what I had in mind. Basically a bottom piece that bolts to the camera, with a cylindrical connection point (hollow in the middle, for wire pass-through), and a top portion for the monitor to bolt into. The Pogo would just pass through and you could have a stop pin to limit the rotation to about 270º total (-90 to +180).

Obviously this is a totally hypothetical, but I'd imagine you'd be able to do this with less than an inch tall. And you wouldn't need any additional adapters or cables.

saDC+


1eDCn+
 
Hmm, now I'm remembering that the Wooden Camera top plate incorporates a pogo to LEMO adapter... meaning I'd only need to buy the LEMO B adapter and a cable. I guess I'm only saving one adapter (LEMO A -- $195), but the top plate is far more functional than just the LEMO A adapter. As cool as the cable-less pogo design is, it gets a bit clumsy with all these adapters...
 
Josh, this is the route I am going - Wooden Camera top plate (for Weapon/Scarlet-W/Raven) and RED LEMO B adaptor, plus a 12" LEMO cable.
 
Josh, this is the route I am going - Wooden Camera top plate (for Weapon/Scarlet-W/Raven) and RED LEMO B adaptor, plus a 12" LEMO cable.

I'm also intrigued by the Movcam system. I'm curious how they are able to add multiple SDI and 2-pin power LEMOs, all seemingly from the pogo interface? It also looks like the plate itself has the top pogo, so some sort of wizardry is going on...

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/01/20/new-movcam-rigging-options-for-red-cameras/
 
That Movcam top looks really solid. I'm not as familiar with Movcam products as I am WC stuff. Depending on when the Movcam gold mount battery plate is available for purchase, it might be a good alternative to the ones offered by OH, WC, and ET. (Especially if it's sooner rather than later.)

EDIT: Just got ANOTHER update from WC and the wait time for the Easy Top is only about 2 weeks, as stated on the website. Much better!

Looking at all these back orders and shipping delays and out of stocks across the RED supplier ecosystem, I'm thinking that the DSMC2 bodies are a huge hit, and Raven and Scarlet-W are sending demand higher than anticipated. Which is awesome because high demand will ultimately translate into more options.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top