Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Mark Toia + Helium

Hello Mark
How have you found editing the 8K R3D footage on your Macbook Pro with FCPX? I'm a laptop person too and I edit almost exclusively on a Macbook Pro. At the moment I'm fine with 6K but as you said, 8K is almost twice as many pixels.

Regards
Rick
 
I really hope that the new Helium color figures out how to get rid of this purple CA. I prefer my sensors "less" sensitive when it comes to that...

That CA you see on that frame grab is certainly more related to the lens (probably shot wide open at 1.4 or so) than to the sensor, so I don't think any color science could get rid of that, it's just a lens characteristic... Closing the lens by 1 or 2 stops might help more on that aspect ;)
 
That CA you see on that frame grab is certainly more related to the lens (probably shot wide open at 1.4 or so) than to the sensor, so I don't think any color science could get rid of that, it's just a lens characteristic... Closing the lens by 1 or 2 stops might help more on that aspect ;)

Correct answer :)
 
Hi everyone.
Thanks so much for the kind words.
Im stuck in the back of India with limited internet. Was a real surprise to read these comments.
For something I quite literally bashed out on my laptop in planes. Between jobs. And shot pretty much over 3 broken up days. Probably 6 hours total. As I was only shooting test footage, not show reel footage.
Regardless .. Im really happy I managed to share some knowledge that people appreciate.
Thanks again.
Your all very nice.
 
Hi everyone.
Thanks so much for the kind words.
Im stuck in the back of India with limited internet. Was a real surprise to read these comments.
For something I quite literally bashed out on my laptop in planes. Between jobs. And shot pretty much over 3 broken up days. Probably 6 hours total. As I was only shooting test footage, not show reel footage.
Regardless .. Im really happy I managed to share some knowledge that people appreciate.
Thanks again.
Your all very nice.

That stuff from the edit bay is really killer btw...and is that a badminton shuttlecock on your desk??? HaHa...
And an Apogee Duet? Love that thing....
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone.
Thanks so much for the kind words.
Im stuck in the back of India with limited internet. Was a real surprise to read these comments.
For something I quite literally bashed out on my laptop in planes. Between jobs. And shot pretty much over 3 broken up days. Probably 6 hours total. As I was only shooting test footage, not show reel footage.
Regardless .. Im really happy I managed to share some knowledge that people appreciate.
Thanks again.
Your all very nice.


ty Mark. Listening to you, as I watched your images was extremely inspirational, motivational, and humbling.
 
I would pay good money to watch a tutorial from Mark on a fully RAW work flow, especially his color correction and color grading techniques.
 
Mark the glowing comments are well deserved. I've been truly inspired by your work and generosity to the Red community. A personal thank you for your direct help to me on things that come up. Have a great shoot.
 
Hi everyone.
Thanks so much for the kind words.
Im stuck in the back of India with limited internet. Was a real surprise to read these comments.
For something I quite literally bashed out on my laptop in planes. Between jobs. And shot pretty much over 3 broken up days. Probably 6 hours total. As I was only shooting test footage, not show reel footage.
Regardless .. Im really happy I managed to share some knowledge that people appreciate.
Thanks again.
Your all very nice.

Would you mind telling us what Laptop you edited the footage on, as I'm in need for one that can handle raw editing.
 
Thanks for sharing the images and insights Mark.

I think your point about people being careful in regards to colour control on-set/at the source is an important one.

I remember you saying when the Dragon sensors came out that they could see more info in the low-lights and highlights than you could see with your own eyes. It seems now the same thing applies to the colours themselves, where the sensors (Dragon and Helium) can pick up more colour info than the shooter might be aware of at the time of capture.

Seems like this would be even more the case when using Graeme's new REDWideGamutRGB and Log3G10 colour-science work, as demonstrated by Phil here - http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?149199-RED-Color-A-look-at-REDWideGamutRGB-Log3G10 and here http://www.reduser.net/forum/showth...tRGB-Log3G10&p=1666879&viewfull=1#post1666879
 
Last edited:
This post just upset my wife, as I am now 100% sold on 8k and Epic -W upgrade! Well done and amazing low light, that 200-400% zoom...Insane! Oct. 11th is now booked as an Admin day ;)

Same here. I'll be sleeping on the couch in a full suit of armor on the 11th. I should mention, she's Italian. For the next few months Jarred and Brent should not open any letters from me addressed with legible handwriting...
 
Would you mind telling us what Laptop you edited the footage on, as I'm in need for one that can handle raw editing.

I don't have any inside knowledge, but from what I saw in the video, he is editing on a late model MacBook Pro. And, he is using FCPX, which is very well written to use open CL, something Premier doesn't seem to do very well. Seems the majority of people here use Adobe (which I have as well) but I find that with .r3d stuff, having a fast drive with the latest Thunderbolt allows me to edit in FCPX pretty well. Depends on how much motion is in the footie, but even 6K works (mostly) without transcoding if you set the quality setting to better performance. Again, I have found most often that if there is a problem, the bottle neck is at the drive.
 
Back
Top