Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep Eric. I agree on the creative end. Resale or rental however would be trickier but hopefully one got their money's worth by that point in use.
 
Man! From the looks of this baby the Red One is in trouble. The R-1 still has a few advantages like multi-range from 2k to 4.5k recording and a superior audio setup, but any future firmware upgrades (uh, oh... I bet Sony is gonna charge for those) could make the Sony the R-1's equal.
So what you're saying is that Sony finally brought out a camera that competes successfully with a 2009 RED One? Wow, way to go, Sony...
 
So what you're saying is that Sony finally brought out a camera that competes successfully with a 2009 RED One? Wow, way to go, Sony...

If you look at the specs the Sony F5 clearly beats the R1 at the current price in the RED store and gives the Scarlet a run for its money.

Iso sensitivity is 2000
DR is 14 stops
2k at 120fps with no window cropping
 
So what you're saying is that Sony finally brought out a camera that competes successfully with a 2009 RED One? Wow, way to go, Sony...

Come on, the F55 has some features above and beyond the current Epic (and Epic has some features above and beyond the F55).

I am still some way off affording either, but hopefully the Epic announcement will make my task a little easier.
 
Sorry for skipping about 800 posts; I just don't have enough time to waste...
But,
if Red's cameras fit my wallet after tomorrow's price cuts,
is there anything like SCL-Z18X140 that could be used with Red's cameras?

That global shutter on F55 is really a bomb...
 
Funny, I was going to buy a Sony Fs700 before I finally decided on my Scarlet (back in May). If I did, my camera would be worthless now that the new F55 came out. No demand for a Sony FS700 neither.

I agree that cameras as investments are just like a computer or car. They really kind of depreciate the moment you buy them and the more milage you put on them.

We just bought a FS700 and our Investment was good. We got a good price on a second hand FS700, and this camera is simply put: Amazeballs! the 960fps looks better than the 120 fps of the scarlet. And the camera is updateable to 4K raw recording, which is pretty awesome if you ask me. But we also invested alot in a very good Rig for our Scarlet, so we are pretty much set in both directions: Speed and Hassle-Free vs. Raw and 4K
 
We just bought a FS700 and our Investment was good. We got a good price on a second hand FS700, and this camera is simply put: Amazeballs! the 960fps looks better than the 120 fps of the scarlet. And the camera is updateable to 4K raw recording, which is pretty awesome if you ask me. But we also invested alot in a very good Rig for our Scarlet, so we are pretty much set in both directions: Speed and Hassle-Free vs. Raw and 4K

Yeah I truly liked the FS700's ease of use and audio input capabilities. Still, I'd like the F5 or F55 more and feel bit frustrated. Sony always had a history of new yearly models (some that leapfrog previous models yet without replacing them or putting them in the same bracket in pricing and category). In other words, if I was looking to buy say the best camera from Sony (without spending the 100K on the top model) it would be hard to know which one that is after a while. That and the model number naming scheme has always annoyed me. If I wanted a Honda civic, I don't wanna try and figure out the difference between a Dx, Lx, EX, SI. How do you sell the brand to customers with so many generic model names. What does a F55 stand for anyhow?

Still, I'm glad your happy with the FS700. I know the slo mo feature is unbelievable and it is a great camera. I owned the FS100 before selling it to upgrade and, well, that model probably isn't in high demand for rentals now.
 
I'm all in for splitting up the price decrease accross multiple accesories instead of doing it just on the brain. If so , we can all see the benefits of it,
+1 on lowering the price on the dragon upgrade to let's say 4K and the meizler being around 10K. would be nice if red could have produced cheaper lense motors, and offer a package deal including 2 pr 3 motors and the 3ality remote.

lowering the price too much on epic just doesn' t make to much sense to me , at least it proves that red is constantly trying to deal with current situations at any given time, but again , would love to see the deal spread accross seperate items.
If you're looking at the competition the only advantage canon and sony might have , is being able to spit out a 4k signal to a monitor, that might become a real benefit in the near future when mutliple 4k displays arrive
 
I'm all in for splitting up the price decrease accross multiple accesories instead of doing it just on the brain. If so , we can all see the benefits of it,
+1 on lowering the price on the dragon upgrade to let's say 4K and the meizler being around 10K. would be nice if red could have produced cheaper lense motors, and offer a package deal including 2 pr 3 motors and the 3ality remote.

lowering the price too much on epic just doesn' t make to much sense to me , at least it proves that red is constantly trying to deal with current situations at any given time, but again , would love to see the deal spread accross seperate items.
If you're looking at the competition the only advantage canon and sony might have , is being able to spit out a 4k signal to a monitor, that might become a real benefit in the near future when mutliple 4k displays arrive

I'm afraid this shows that you don't really understand what Jim has said. He's not playing games with pricing. It's not about subsidizing one thing with another. It's about transparency, accountability, and good old fashioned all-in disruption. I think RED should go all-in on bringing the economics of Moore's law to the brain, BECAUSE THAT's THE PLAY.
 
I would like to interrupt this by saying...I hope everyone from the REDUSER family and beyond are safe and dry from Hurricane Sandy.
Following this on CNN and its depressing.
 
I think comprehensive package deals that offer significant savings (buying it as package as opposed to individual items) would be a good strategy because I see quite often on here people are not prepared for some of the necessary accessories. Look at the countless threads about media prices. For those very familiar with digital cinema cameras, there is the understanding that you will need a lot of stuff to go along with it such as extra batteries, beefy tripods, lenses, etc. But someone jumping up from an HVX200 may or may not be prepared for the extra costs. You really do need experience to know what is needed and what isn't needed for the kind of shooting you intend to do. For example, showing up on a job with 2 batteries and a 64GB SSD might not get the job done.

Agree.
 
BTW.....can people stop calling others "Crybabies."??? This thread was put here to constructively voice reaction to Jims announcement. I get that some people have disposable incomes....but some people have just barely eeked in and are just proud to be in the "RED Family" In my opinion...unless people are being rude...then all have valid points that effect them individually and their businesses. Jim wouldn't have made this Pre-announcement if he wasn't concerned about the effects it was going to have on us all.
 

You know, Kodak released HD enabled stills cameras that were good for the time, but the damage had all ready set in. I have met ex Kodak employees, and I am the only person I have ever met that had anything good to say about them. Anyway, they went on to release much superior and popular hybrid pocket HD camcorders based on ambarella chips, best for the price in the industry. But, they did not move this over to their digital stills range, where they could have put a dent in the industry, relying on the old inferior HD solution instead. They did not advance the hybrid solutions enough. Then they went mad with too many mediocre small hybrid models. One of the better ones which I have, had over 30 or 50 different replaceable covers on amazon for it, way overkill. They finally advanced their hybrid to FHD p60 and canceled it. These two product ranges had wonderful profitable potential with ambarella chip sets. But the stories of shoos dealing with them says the rest. A real crying shame.
 
Are the prices out yet?
 
Expecting RED to follow their intentions on this.

I have purchased many RED cameras and look forward to purchasing many more for the company.

4K isn't going anywhere...I still have my R1 and am preparing my preteen son to use it.

Many thanks to RED for not burrying their heads in the sand.

My company is beginning to see the fruits of planting on RED ground.

All the best.
Thanks again Jim, Jarred and company.
 
We live in interesting camera times. What I find interesting is how some people think RED should burry their head in the sand & just keep on doing the same thing.

Isn't that what Kodak did ?

Best post in this thread!

Kodak did that and more but there we go.

There's been a lot of things said in this thread but I'd ask people to look at the situation in light of the new Sony announcement now it is here.

Check out the new cool modular design.
Check out the lovely Alexa style styling that already many people will be lusting after.
Understand how cleverly marketed this camera is both in its design and the pre-launch hype.
Understand that Sony are a VERY large company with a lot of experience in this field and who have been the market leaders in Broadcast video for a loooooong time now.

Red should sit and do nothing in response to the changes in the market?

love

Freya
 
Interesting thread at DVXuser - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?295765-Pmw-F5-amp-F55/page14

A link there for prices at Euro 18,995 for the F55 - that'll be approx $25K. But without onboard RAW etc (ie you still need to get the extra unit).

So, IF Jim's REDuction (LOL) on the EPIC comes in around the $25K-$27K region, that would give you Epic and RAW for a lot less... then maybe a $30K-$35K price point for the EPIC-Dragon.

Not saying they're correct!!! - as this all seems like a poker game now (who shows first).

Interesting times... and I am an Epic owner.
 
Agreed Josh, we love our Scarlet...but an Epic would be..well..Epic :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top