Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F55 specs are impressive to say the least. Its obvious they are gunning for Red and Alexa.

Here's the showcase:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/show-highend/resource.solutions.bbsccms-assets-show-highend-F5.shtml

The lense look neat. Wonder if they used Minolta technology for them. Competition won't let Red stand still (now that Red woke them up).
 
f65 will get new firmware which enables 6k and 8k recording up to 120fps!

Not worried. I'm sure the Dragon will do that in 6K. More than enough. With better dynamic range, low light and that incredible form factor and design and established workflow, the Epic is still the best thing out there. And lets not forget Obsolescence Obsolete. Those guys are pumping cameras left and right and the ones who purchased their other cameras are really in trouble. I read a user purchased a Sony F35, a 100 000 + cinema camera for 15K. If the F5 comes at the speculated 15-17K price point, what will happen to the F3 in Value?

One thing is that I think RED deserves us to wait for them to show their hand, not jump ship immediately to Sony. The Epic is working well for Cinema and Broadcast content. Lets wait for how DRAGON evolves- because I'm sure it will!
 
In light of this, I think there's probably going to be more news than just the updated prices.

Unleash the Dragon!
 
We live in interesting camera times. What I find interesting is how some people think RED should burry their head in the sand & just keep on doing the same thing.

Isn't that what Kodak did ?
 
We all talk too much. But at least I read all the posts. Anyway, I had an epiphany: what if production companies could just buy their cameras (RED, naturally) instead of renting them? Heck, I would. The only things that my employer rents are buildings. Perhaps I'm missing something, though.

Oh, and I have never taken seriously the notion that cameras are 'investments'. IMHO. Most the ones that are do not compare well with long-term share market investments. Even Leicas are, for the most part, not investments and never can be.

Idea for people renting out gear: makes lenses the primary asset? Honestly I have no idea. Tell me what you think.
 
We live in interesting camera times. What I find interesting is how some people think RED should burry their head in the sand & just keep on doing the same thing.

Isn't that what Kodak did ?

exactly.
 
Idea for people renting out gear: makes lenses the primary asset? Honestly I have no idea. Tell me what you think.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Lenses, lighting, Grip, motion control, camera support, ARRI matteboxes and ARRI follow focus. Lenses are not really good as a primary asset... they don't rent for much compared to their high prices... they are more for getting your camera rented... think of them as advertising for your camera.
 
My dream:
Epic price near current Red one price. Red one price near current Scarlet price. And putting 4.5k to scarlet now that Red one and Scarlet share almost the same price. Everybody (almost) happy.
Oh, and of course, a path from scarlet to epic.
Would be great .....
 
It's NEVER black and white - and I tried to suggest that by referring to the "in between." We don't have to agree about FCP-X because I know it doesn't work for a lot of folks but it works for me. I'm happy with just that.

From the start it worked for me cause I made it work for me.
Do people forget that you still have to do that with technology?
Maybe Im old school but thats how I was raised in this digital world ;)
 
Very Interesting move from sony not telling the price of the new Cameras, Now Red promised a price cut which I think will be minimal (At least for now before knowing sony strategy)
 
As someone who for now can only dream of the what if i had the money kind of thing, my extensive research and deep mapping of everything to do with the industry has leed me to the undeniable truth that the other camera companies do not have blacksmiths making there stuff.
 
Very Interesting move from sony not telling the price of the new Cameras, Now Red promised a price cut which I think will be minimal (At least for now before knowing sony strategy)

Ive been burned by the "Coming soon to stores near you..." tag line before :P
The tech sounds interesting but my perception of Sony now with this release is that they are desperate.
I guess thats a good thing for some of us.
 
Very Interesting move from sony not telling the price of the new Cameras, Now Red promised a price cut which I think will be minimal (At least for now before knowing sony strategy)

I can live with minimal, but add firmware updates across the board including a Dragon update I welcome :)
 
Very Interesting move from sony not telling the price of the new Cameras, Now Red promised a price cut which I think will be minimal (At least for now before knowing sony strategy)

According to Philip Bloom the price of the F55 is $50,000, the raw module is another $10,000 and the F55 is $18,000. These are "retail" prices so the street prices will be lower, but still...
 
Not worried. I'm sure the Dragon will do that in 6K. More than enough. With better dynamic range, low light and that incredible form factor and design and established workflow, the Epic is still the best thing out there. And lets not forget Obsolescence Obsolete. Those guys are pumping cameras left and right and the ones who purchased their other cameras are really in trouble. I read a user purchased a Sony F35, a 100 000 + cinema camera for 15K. If the F5 comes at the speculated 15-17K price point, what will happen to the F3 in Value?

One thing is that I think RED deserves us to wait for them to show their hand, not jump ship immediately to Sony. The Epic is working well for Cinema and Broadcast content. Lets wait for how DRAGON evolves- because I'm sure it will!

What will happen to the Scarlet camera? A lot of people just got these cameras in their hands and only a few months later are facing price reductions. The Sony F3 on the other hand as been on the market since the beginning of 2011. Two years without a price reduction is pretty good.
 
Here's the showcase:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/show-highend/resource.solutions.bbsccms-assets-show-highend-F5.shtml

The lense look neat. Wonder if they used Minolta technology for them. Competition won't let Red stand still (now that Red woke them up).

Man! From the looks of this baby the Red One is in trouble. The R-1 still has a few advantages like multi-range from 2k to 4.5k recording and a superior audio setup, but any future firmware upgrades (uh, oh... I bet Sony is gonna charge for those) could make the Sony the R-1's equal.
 
What will happen to the Scarlet camera? A lot of people just got these cameras in their hands and only a few months later are facing price reductions.

Im waiting for my BT Scarlet do drop.
I too am curious what the pricing will be.
But I would honestly accept upgrades in both firmware and hardware instead of a price break.

Well a free upgrade to Dragon would just be icing of course ;)
 
We all talk too much. But at least I read all the posts. Anyway, I had an epiphany: what if production companies could just buy their cameras (RED, naturally) instead of renting them? Heck, I would. The only things that my employer rents are buildings. Perhaps I'm missing something, though.

Oh, and I have never taken seriously the notion that cameras are 'investments'. IMHO. Most the ones that are do not compare well with long-term share market investments. Even Leicas are, for the most part, not investments and never can be.

Idea for people renting out gear: makes lenses the primary asset? Honestly I have no idea. Tell me what you think.

Funny, I was going to buy a Sony Fs700 before I finally decided on my Scarlet (back in May). If I did, my camera would be worthless now that the new F55 came out. No demand for a Sony FS700 neither.

I agree that cameras as investments are just like a computer or car. They really kind of depreciate the moment you buy them and the more milage you put on them.
 
They really kind of depreciate the moment you buy them and the more milage you put on them.

I like to think that the more mileage you put the more creativity and work you got out of it :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top