Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Epic-W Rental Price

I'm doing $1000/ day pre discount in NYC for my CF Weapon. I'm going to put the Epic-W at less than that. Really depends on package and what I add to it.
 
On Borrow Lenses - they're pricing the Epic W at about $1300 per week for a full package - and about $1K for 3 days.

The package is short on cards though...

I plan to price mine cheaper than theirs when it comes in :-)
 
the undercutting begins...


On Borrow Lenses - they're pricing the Epic W at about $1300 per week for a full package - and about $1K for 3 days.

The package is short on cards though...

I plan to price mine cheaper than theirs when it comes in :-)
 
I plan on $800-1,000 per day
 
On Borrow Lenses - they're pricing the Epic W at about $1300 per week for a full package - and about $1K for 3 days.

The package is short on cards though...

I plan to price mine cheaper than theirs when it comes in :-)

Dude, you do realize you're shooting yourself and everyone else out there in the foot, right? Your camera may go out a little more often, but it will go to cheaper productions with less experience and less care taken for your camera that has to work twice as many days just to pay off. Please rethink your strategy.

Also, you need to take into account that Borrow lenses essentially requires 3 rental days minimum because they charge you the day you receive it and the day you send it back. If they charge, say 1200 for three days (which would be the minimum), then you could easily charge 600/day because a lot of productions only need it for one or two days. And even if they need it for two days and it comes out to 1200 (same price as Borrow Lenses), then you have the upper hand because of sheer convenience. Convenience is worth something.

Don't undercut. It's just stupid.
 
Definitely not less than $600 per day.
Dude, you do realize you're shooting yourself and everyone else out there in the foot, right? Your camera may go out a little more often, but it will go to cheaper productions with less experience and less care taken for your camera that has to work twice as many days just to pay off. Please rethink your strategy.

Also, you need to take into account that Borrow lenses essentially requires 3 rental days minimum because they charge you the day you receive it and the day you send it back. If they charge, say 1200 for three days (which would be the minimum), then you could easily charge 600/day because a lot of productions only need it for one or two days. And even if they need it for two days and it comes out to 1200 (same price as Borrow Lenses), then you have the upper hand because of sheer convenience. Convenience is worth something.

Don't undercut. It's just stupid.
 
Why are people wanting to rent their 35k+ gear for so low values ?
 
Wow. $600 is about 1.5% that's rediculous low for rentals... A 40k package should at least be $900-1000. List price on Epic Dragon was $1250 per day and that was about the same price...
 
Well, guys. I'm not undercutting.

I've produced cable features and am close to Miami - where there is a VERY oversatured RED market. I mean - VERY. Every drone op has one. Every crane OP has 2. They throw them in when you rent a Ronin Operated for $200 a day sometimes.

I just rented en Epic Dragon myself - with TONS of media - and more gear - for well under $400 a day. This camera is similar in scope.

The package I'm offering will be relatively stripped - so I think it's priced fairly appropriately.

If they need 2 mounts - extra media - and the works - like a handheld rig - or some kind of a ROD baseplate option - then I gotcha.

I usually go out with my gear - at least as a field DIT.

I've rented cameras for years to productions - and have never had any issues. We used to be into the 2/3" Panasonic P2 world back the day - and priced the same.

Truth is - usually - people still rented from the houses - as they need more in their pacakge.

All I have to offer - is a 2 TON arri kit; a dana dolly; a jib - and a partial Schneider FF kit. No one ever rents my Zeiss Cine Mods.

Best!
 
I should add...

I know a DP that owns an Alexa and a Weapon. His plan - in South Florida - and NY (he's based out of both) was to just rent the Weapon as he prefers the Alexa on his jobs.

He had to come down in price too - and still hasn't made his money back - and this guy WORKS. A lot more than I do - as I usually live in post and - even when I direct a national commercial spot - hire a DP to shoot my cam.

Just saying - I don't think people realize how saturated the market is - especially here in South Florida ;-)

But - I'm hoping you're right - and I can get more - because; in all honesty - that's 2nd income I could use - while glued to the edit suite!
 
Last edited:
but it will go to cheaper productions with less experience and less care taken for your camera

Sorry but there is no correlation between "cheaper production", "less experience", and "less care taken".

You can work for a low budget stuff and have respect for the gear you use. And skilled people can work for low budget stuff.

Moreover, I am going to tell you, camera rental budget on a high-end prod is just nothing. Absolutely nothing. They could crash 10 alexas they would not give a freaking shit. I will be more afraid about my cameras in high prod stuff than in a very low budget stuff where the operator would shit in his pants when a grain of dust would stick to the camera, because it's their only cam.

So the reason is not valid.

There is a law of offer and demands. If he thinks that being ultra-competitive with the pricing of his stuff is the right thing to do to get get his money as quickly as possible, so be it.
 
Hugues - I appreciate that :-)

Obviously - I'd like to make as much as I can - and; of course - I always require a bound insurance certificate before I rent (I carry my own policy for when I shoot - or go with my camera).

As you said - I've directed a few low budget features - and I can ASSURE YOU - we were more careful with our gear than many of the bigger shows I worked. We emphasize gear safety and tiedowns - and my 1st AC would buckle in our rented camera rig at nights it had to stay built - and sleep with it by his side.

My goal isn't to undercut anyone - but to offer an affordable solution to rental houses in the area. And - to let everyone know - to finish my last film - we did rent our camera rig from Boston to FLA - to save on $$$. WE were shooting with a less popular camera than a RED though (the Varicam).

Best!
 
As soon as helium is out weapon will be in far lower demand. To me the difference between weapon and helium is bigger than between weapon and red one MX. The low light capacity on helium will make it very atractive even for the low budged productions as you simply can do with a lot less light.

Price for helium is about the same as for a nice car. So when supply goes up the dayrate will be about the same as for a car. That allready happen with epic dragon. I can rent several dragons for about 3k usd a day and they are never short in supply at that price. Weapon cost a bit more but will drop as well when helium is out.

Sure there are rental companies that can charge a lot more than that but they also come with the rest of thier services.

To say you should not charge this or that for your camera is just dumb. Every one has their own buisness strategy and the good onces will naturally be the onces that remain.
 
I agree whole heartedly :-)

I'm purchasing this camera - just for the low light performance - as - historically; the films I've been contracted to direct have been horror features - and - being able to grab some exteriors - with 5 k's going instead of 18k's - is a HUGE benefit - especially with the new LED low power consumption - high CRI's from Mole Richardson.

The rentals - are background fodder while I'm in post - to help pay the bills - though I'll take a dayplay job with some if I can grab it.

Our studio will always have a 2nd RED body available - though Dragon - but; again - the Helium's main benefit is low light - and most of our jobs are greenscreen - or talking heads - that are shot at 640 iso - so that's no big deal.
 
Back
Top