Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Camera self rebooting...

had 3 random reboots (to blue screen) today - all happened during playback.
Build 17, Indoors, evenly spread out during the day, normal temp, red drive

They were not a real issue as it was a laid back set. We just move playback over to redcine if needed.

Though I would chime in as it would be nice to find the cause

Can you email myself and stuart?
We'd like to get more details from as many people as possible.
 
I had two random reboots last week once during the prep (not recording) another time during a shot (recording) both times had nothing in common. One was on battery the other was on AC through the AC block and a battery backup/filter.

Release build 17 as well.
 
I'll had my voice to the crowd here. We had one reboot to the blue screen today, while playing back a clip. That was with the EVF and the Drive attached, nothing else outside of the RED battery plate (not the cradle). I had the same issue two days ago with the LCD instead, but I don't remember if it was with a drive or a card. Happened on both build 17 and 18 if I recall correctly (today was build 18). This was on RED #842.
 
Hi,

We had two cameras out yesterday at seperate locations, both have recently come back from upgrading and had the newest build put on (B17). The first camera was on location at a house and kept rebooting every so often with the blue screen etc. The second camera in a studio rebooted once when unmounting a red drive. It also switched off once but that might've been an issue with the battery not being connected correctly as it didn't happen again.

More worryingly than the reboots is with two different versions of build 17 on different shoots I've had the camera record and then either post midway through the shot or when the record button is pressed and just hang on post, requiring a hard reboot. The R3D file in the folder is only a few KB and there are no QT's. We lost the last shot at the end of the day yesterday so it could've been worse. I've also been experiencing problems formatting drives sometimes where it hangs for a long time with the blue bar stopped dead and either needs rebooting or formats after a long wait.

I will submit a ticket with log files later today. Conditionally there was nothing exceptional, a little hot under the lights but thats about it.

I will try and test out the cameras over the weekend and for upcoming jobs will likely revert to build 16 because even one reboot or loss of shot is too many.

I wonder if the MAX setting is something to do with it and I will test this out. But it seems that if the camera is trying to record or playback costantly to/from the media at the maximum the media can handle, every now and then the media might have a little trouble recording and slow ever so slightly causing a bottle neck that crashes the camera. I noticed that when the camera went to post mid way through record yesterday it had more detail in the shot than throughout most of the rest of the day, lots of fine hair on a white background moving very fast. The MAX setting seems like one of the bigger differences between B16 and B17 in terms of what the camera is doing. Playback and record seem to set off the reboots a lot of the time, though I do remember the first time I had reboots (See pg 1) a while ago it was doing it whilst standing by the camera as it was idle.

Paul
 
Here in Shanghai we are shooting for one day already and had the reboot-blue-lcd problem already for too many times (one time is already too many). My guess is it would be a heating problem, that the camera is not cooled enough under a temperature a little higher then normal room temperature.
At first we could live with this problem, it's not perfect, but nothing is perfect. But the more it happened, the more we got annoyed and figuring the problem. I still am guessing it's heat. RED is a computer, when a computer gets too hot and can't cool himself enough it just shuts down. I guess it's the same problem here. Solution: develop better cooling (hot air goes up so vents on top would be one) or a software upgrade that monitors the temperature and turns the fan higher when needed.

People here have any temporary solutions that might work?
 
a software upgrade that monitors the temperature and turns the fan higher when needed.

It already does this; however ambient temperature doesn't seem to be the issue. My theory is there's a design fault in the heatsink.
 
Hi Mark,
I don't think it's a heat problem only. As I mentioned in the previous posts after replacing the camera that was rebooting randomly few times an hour, we had absolutely NO problems with the new one even shooting when outside temperature was between 38-46 Celsius. Our experience with overheating were some strange streaks, resembling vertical film scratches. We shut down the camera, restarted after 30 mins, all OK. They looked kind of cool for a music video ;)

My suggestion is to swap the camera with another one and see what happens in the same climatic conditions.
 
Since most of the reboots are not heat related and it is not the firmware I tend to believe that it is the RED DRIVE. Most of the reboots reported in this thread were while using the red drive. My red did not reboot while using the Flash card at all. The drive that i am using is tested by Red and should work fine but it is not
So Can we all come to an agreement at this point? should we blame the drives or not?

OMAR
 
Since most of the reboots are not heat related and it is not the firmware I tend to believe that it is the RED DRIVE. Most of the reboots reported in this thread were while using the red drive. My red did not reboot while using the Flash card at all. The drive that i am using is tested by Red and should work fine but it is not
So Can we all come to an agreement at this point? should we blame the drives or not?

That seems to make sense to me. I'm planning on doing a great deal of testing this weekend, and I'll try to see if it happen with CF Cards...
 
We shot our film entirely with CF 16 G cards. R#1295 had random reboots all the time, we switched to R#242 and had no problems at all (same accessories and settings with even higher outside temperatures).
 
Reading this thread it seems to be different levels of problem.

1) Invironment: heat, coold, dust, vibrations.
2) Configutation: lose cables, wrong voltage, too big power drain, faulty accesory.
3) Firmware: bugs, memory issues, leaking memory, using up all working memory.
4) Internal connections: Lose cables, lose slot-in boards, movement among boards.
5) Hardware construction problem: Component change from old to new series camera. New component not behaving exactly as old, but enough to look "ok". Example could be some small power regulator is over heating and is changing main voltage, forcing reboot.

..or any combinations of this.
 
5) Hardware construction problem: Component change from old to new series camera. New component not behaving exactly as old, but enough to look "ok". Example could be some small power regulator is over heating and is changing main voltage, forcing reboot.

You can rule out the other four.

We had #1295 on the bench after Val's shoot and it was rebooting in a 25°C interior recording to CF card (and idling with no media) with no other accessories attached (other than the battery and an LCD - which were different units to those on the shoot).

Cleaned the fan out before shipping it back to RED the first time; and it behaved while over there, but on its return after a short while began rebooting again.

And Val, I don't know the answer to that other than something must be different - whether by design or circumstance. The cameras are spec'd the same - i.e. same CF writer and same power supply and monitoring accessories.
 
Hello from Santiago, Chile.

My Red, number 4683, does reboot ramdomly, and never used the red drive, only CF cards. It never happens while recording, but when it does (every two or three days) it can be only minutes after booting up (so no heat problem) or even with no movement or operation at all. And I don´t have a blue screen or someting, it just plainly reboots. My opinion is there`s no design problem, just a production failure, maybe different in each camera, but the reaction is the same: reboot. If any has received a replacement body and don´t have the issue, so there`s a point. It would be great to hear something from Red about it. Since I´m in south america, even a free replacement from Red has a big shipping cost.
 
Quick question for everyone reading this thread.

Is your camera either new enough that it came with the upgrades or has it just been for an upgrade (Audioboard, compact flash upgrade, /i in mount etc)?

Has anyone here had the problems without having the upgrade?

Paul
 
I really think this is a Firmware issue. I have never had rebooting problems before release build 17. I know it's not temperature based, and it's happened to me only with the HD plugged in. Once when recording, and once while just sitting at a prep with no one touching the camera. Also once on battery power and once plugged into the ac adapter. Also my camera has not been updated yet. #1686
 
Back
Top