Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Camera self rebooting...

Thanks Brent.

Happened during a shoot Saturday night. 4 cameras at the Sydney Opera House.

This only happened with 1.

Live show so 90 minute single take. About 20 minutes into recording, the camera rebooted while stationary.

Take was fine. Other 3 Reds were fine.

Strange thing is that it happened almost exactly in the same place during the second show...

Both times recorded happily for over an hour without complaint.

I'm pretty sure this was the beta of 17 and not the final build. I'll check, upgrade and test again.

Let me know if you want me to send any info across.

Cheers,

Jim
 
Happened to us 5+ times with a brand-new unit that was just assembled for the first time this morning (shipped with build 17). At least 3 of the reboots no one was touching the camera. We're going to try going back to build 16 since that seems to work for others here.
 
I ran into this two days ago. It occured three times and then it stopped occuring. The first time was 10-seconds after plugging in the RED RAID.

This was the first time I had used the camera that day. I also had problems reading one of my CF cards. It would not show up when inserted. The CF card started working again after a short while.

All on build 17.

I did not have any problems the rest of the day or the following day.
 
Still in build 16 . . . Local RED supply house suggested keeping track of which RED Drives the reboot occurred with. So far this camera has self-rebooted at least once with all three of our drives . . .

Additionally we have tried supplying power to the camera from RED Brick, dedicated AC, and RED Charger aux out. Same issue . . . still randomly self-rebooting . . .
 
After downgrading to Build 16, we were able to shoot for about two hours at 4K without any reboots/problems/glitches to a Red Drive while on battery power. FWIW, we only have one Red Drive and we're waiting on our CF Module to ship (backordered).
 
We have had this issue happen on all 3 bodies we own. Same issue with the blue LCD and occassionally the EVF will have some green highlights and video noise. I've had this issue on both B16 and B17. When I upgraded one body from 16 to 17 the problem disappeared. Reinstalling B17 has corrected the other bodies. Try reinstalling the firmware several times in succession. It seems that it is most likely a firmware glitch and not the battery plate. We've got 4 plates and this has happened with all 4. Originally I believed it had something to do with the 7" LCD but now I am not so sure.
 
Dave,

Did you use the same installer file or did you download new ones?
 
Looks to me like a firmware (possibly age thereof?) issue.

We had the exact problem dexcibed on a shoot last week - four or five reboots pretty much in a row... Luckily we were close to lunch so I re-installed the FW and performed a black shade over lunch (B17 originally, re-installed to same B17 version), and so far no further issues. We don´t run a Red LCD (running other monitors over HD-SDI), so it´s nothing to do with that.

Be great to get to the bottom of this asap, as it´s a real PITA when it happens...
 
If the problem can be "fixed" more or less by re-installing same firmware, maybe there should be some md5 or check sum test of firmware file before, during and after installation in camera.
 
If the problem can be "fixed" more or less by re-installing same firmware, maybe there should be some md5 or check sum test of firmware file before, during and after installation in camera.
Well, that´s an assumption on my behalf from our experience and that of those of others on this thread, so it might not be totally right. Also, if I´m correct, it´s not an installation problem, but one that develops over time and/or useage...

I think we´ll need to wait for Red to be able to replicate the problem before we get a long-term fix, but in the short-term it looks like carrying a copy of whatever firmware you´re using - plus look, user and calibration files - is probably a pretty good idea (not that it isn´t anyway!).
 
Happened to me quite a few times as well. I'm putting it down on the list as one of those 'things' when working with RED. No reason but just reboots itself when it feels the need. Personally, i'm waiting till she goes back to RED for the audio upgrade and service and i will just add a little note with little bugs that i am having.
 
Build 18 has been crashing more for me then any other build, mainly on boot. I have not experienced the self re boot ever. I downgraded to 17 and still takes several power cycles before the camera will successfully boot.
 
That´s interesting - our camera boots perfectly every time, but self-reboots a fair bit if the FW hasn´t been re-installed for a while. Not quite sure which I´d prefer!! Bear in mind that B18 is still beta, of course, so crashing a lot is fairly likely! :biggrin:

As for it being "one of those things", I really don´t agree - a camera shouldn´t just crash on you in the middle of a take. For interview and documentary work (especially when combined with a 60sec boot up time) it can be a real killer. I very much doubt Red will see it as "one of those things" - it needs to be fixed, and soon, and I´m sure Red are on it to do just that....

Cheers all,
Dom.
 
Is it mainly older cams?
There can be a stupid things like oxide in power connector, dusty cooling fans inside cams that make it overheat in notmal room temp. If a audio cable was connected with diffetent ground potential, an too large current drawn maybe can trigger reboot. Anybody speaking in cell phone too close to cam? I manage to mess up a cam (Nikon) when speaking in the phone too close the cam. I did not realize this until a backstepped all that I did, and dialed and put my phone on it again.
 
I think you're right regarding the heat issue.

I'm using a friends camera (2986) so fairly late. Since new, on both release and beta builds of 15,16,17 the reboot issue has occured. Usually it's when idle and happens 2-3 times a day (on a 10hr day). Ocassionally it's during a take. TC stops rolling /audio signals go dead but record tally lights stay on. Only way to stop it is to pull the battery and reboot. The shot is always there up to the fault point with no proxy generation obviously.

Regarding heat: I've found the problem more frequent when used for long takes (with fan at auto - so off when recording). By setting the fans to hot so they stay on even when recording the reboot issue is roughly half as frequent. Fine when you're not recording sound.....

Could it be a bad heat sink issue?

An here's a question for Stuart (if you're still monitoring...)

I want to send you chaps log files to help solve this but now we have to write the log manually. How far back does the log go for the info you need, or example if I have to manually pull a battery and reboot, if I then write a log will it have the relevant info or will it only be from that reboot etc...

Regards

Jeff Brown
RED 708
 
I don't think so. Mine is in the 2400s and only a couple of months old.

Mine only seems to do it during a long take, where the fan runs slower for an increased amount of time.

Is it mainly older cams?
There can be a stupid things like oxide in power connector, dusty cooling fans inside cams that make it overheat in notmal room temp. If a audio cable was connected with diffetent ground potential, an too large current drawn maybe can trigger reboot. Anybody speaking in cell phone too close to cam? I manage to mess up a cam (Nikon) when speaking in the phone too close the cam. I did not realize this until a backstepped all that I did, and dialed and put my phone on it again.
 
The same problem happened to me while nobody was touching it, 2 or 3 times.
It was with the cradle and the battery, with the build 16.
Happened again after upgrade to 17.
 
It has happened to me too.
Twice.
Strange case, no one was touching the camera, it was just there standing.
Maybe is a TEMPERATURE issue?? It happened to me when we were shooting in a more than usual humid place. Not very extreme, but as it had never happened to me before I also thought that was it. Until it happened again with no accordance to the other time that had happened. Also, the TEMP sign said OK. So ...
 
Back
Top