Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Birger Lens Mount Reservations

but here's the big question, if the mount is actually quite simple to install, why are camera's going back to RED fried after the birger is installed? As far as I know, the procedure has been exactly what has been described since day one, PL mount off, birger mount on, don't pinch the cable, collimate. (I'm not angry or whining, just wondering)

I e-mailed amy to ask her to ship mine right away. I wonder how long that will take? But I think I'll install it and use it as a dumb mount for now and take my chances. I need to be shooting now. But I do wonder if they really will be shipping in a few days. If not, I'll have to get in line at the RED store for a nikon mount. I wish we could hear more from someone what exactly was the problem and what was voiding the warranty.. what happens when the back of the PL mount comes off that's different then the front? Is it like feeding mogwai after midnight? What happened to the dead REDs? How much did it cost to fix? I can shoot on a dumb mount with a fried aux power, but I can't shoot on a bricked camera. Please someone give us more information so we can plan solutions. I think for me the solution is selling all my canon glass (and I have a fair amount) my 5D and switching to nikon. The sting of that is slightly lessened by the nikon d700 which looks lovely. It's just a royal pain since I've been collecting canon glass for this since last year when this was announced.
 
Well, shee-it.

I've already piddled away a quarter of my warranty with the camera sitting here in "doorstop mode." Considering the i/data cable isn't functional, and RED has made no mention of when it will become functional... I'm not exactly clear on what is at risk by installing it myself. (And hey, wasn't Erik's camera one of the ones that needed repair? In what way does it make sense to insist that all installations must be performed by the guy who did some of the first damage?)

This kinda sucks, I don't mind tellin' ya.

Erik, if I just box up the camera and send it to you, what kind of turnaround do you expect? Will you still stick to the reservation order, or will mounts be installed on a "first come first served" basis?
 
Just a thought. If shorting the I-cable causes severe damage to the camera electronics, what happens if we mount a lens that has a short and the lens thereby shorts the I-cable?
 
Just a thought. If shorting the I-cable causes severe damage to the camera electronics, what happens if we mount a lens that has a short and the lens thereby shorts the I-cable?

Mark, do you mean mounting a Canon lens? If you mean canon - don't worry the Birger mount doesn't use the i-cable and won't even if lens data is implemented - that info would go through the RS232 with a short cable from one of the 4 pin lemos to the RS232 connector.

If you meant a pl mount lens, Andrew brought that up a while back. But right now they left the pins out - so there are no pins in the PL mount to short. The pins will have to be installed at some future date either at the factory or by the end user. ??:wacko: ?

:biggrin: AKABAKA Stop making sense. As the self-appointed quasi-moderator of this ridiculously long thread I must inform you that rational thought is not allowed. And using your RED as a "doorstop" voids the warranty. And I'm offering half of an i/data cable to the person who posts number 2000:biggrin:
 
Aqua,

How long did it take you to install your mount? How long do you think an experience person would take?

Erik,

For those who want to proceed, can you please let us know how to proceed and ship our camera to you? Or are you not liking the Red warranty solution as well and won't do it? I'm ready to ship. And since others are hesitating, it's okay to jump ahead in line... as akabaka said... first ship, first served?

It'll be good side money that you can shower your fiance with and buy more presents for her on your honeymoon trip around the world. :)

thanks!
 
And hey, wasn't Erik's camera one of the ones that needed repair? In what way does it make sense to insist that all installations must be performed by the guy who did some of the first damage?


this post made my day… YoooooHHHH :usd::sarcasm::clown2:
 
I think Aqua's nephew is the only other RED-certified technician for mount installations... :sarcasm:
 
I literally laughed out loud.

I literally laughed out loud.

I think Aqua's nephew is the only other RED-certified technician for mount installations... :sarcasm:

I literally laughed out loud - how did you remember that?

Aqua,

How long did it take you to install your mount? How long do you think an experience person would take?

Erik,

For those who want to proceed, can you please let us know how to proceed and ship our camera to you? Or are you not liking the Red warranty solution as well and won't do it? I'm ready to ship. And since others are hesitating, it's okay to jump ahead in line... as akabaka said... first ship, first served?

It'll be good side money that you can shower your fiance with and buy more presents for her on your honeymoon trip around the world. :)

thanks!

It wasn't my nephew that changed the mount, he was just the one shooting when it stopped working. The person who actually installed it was a very experienced ARRI and Zeiss technician, but only because he was curious and wants to be a RED technician. He's super fussy as you would expect. But it wasn't anything I couldn't have done myself.

My install was a little tougher because #206 was in the batch with the overtorqued/stuck screws in the PL mount so we had to pull the pl apart by totally removing the lock screws on the side and monkeying it.

But normally it is just the eight screws for the front piece just like in doug underdahl's nikon mount video, so 2 or 3 minutes, then you have four more screws to remove with another allen wrench so another minute or 2, then pick up the inner piece of the birger mount (the part with the connectors) turn it over so you can set the birger mount backfocus adjuster at the suggested setting (a few seconds - but if you are like me, the first time you will futz with it for a couple minutes to see how it works - it is very slick) then you mount that piece with those same four screws. Then you mount the outer portion of the birger mount to the inner with the four smaller screws with a small philips screwdriver. If the back focus is right that's it - if not you need to loosen and adjust. By my count that's eight screws for birger and eight screws for nikon.

I think you will take 20-25 minutes the first time then probably significantly less after that.

Backfocus was actually right on with the suggested setting but I didn't believe it so futzed with it for a few minutes - when Erik gets the software done for collimation it should be very quick and you will feel more confident when you have it.




Don't give Erik any ideas about Honeymoons. I guess we have to let him have 4th of july off - but no honeymoons until the knobs are done.
 
have your honeymoon erik... it aint like this this is gonna be over... besides.. i went ahead and ordered mine now rather than waiting for the warranty issue to resolve.. so im good.
 
have your honeymoon erik... it aint like this this is gonna be over... besides.. i went ahead and ordered mine now rather than waiting for the warranty issue to resolve.. so im good.

Yeah. You'll be good and knobless. (no innuendos intended)
 
unless i'm reading it wrong, there's insinuation that it will grow smarter.

But it has a lot to live up to if it tries to go that route. I was one of the people who tried Erik's mount at NAB and I was thoroughly impressed and confident it was a finely crafted and engineered piece of beauty.
 
Any old Canon EOS SLR has the control electronics needed. So if you didn't mind your camera looking like some kind of Frankenstein creation, you could imagine running a cable to connect those 8 contacts from the Canon lens mounted on RED, to your spare EOS SLR... it wouldn't give you focus pulling like the Birger is supposed to, but you'd have basic iris control without unmounting the lens, and maybe you'd even be able to use IS on the stabilized lenses too (using a Canon SLR remote to keep camera shutter half-pressed for IS to be active).
 
man, if this dumb canon mount works, I'll take it. I can get so much test shooting done while we're waiting for the birger. I hope Erik gets through those final design changes quickly after he gets back from his holiday. Then I hope he can get volume manufacturing ramped up. I asked Amy to send me mine without waiting for the warranty, but if this thing ships before then and it works, (which I'm a little doubtful of, because Erik has already told us it's impossible) I'm in. I can get a lot of shooting done in 2 months of waiting and it's worth it to me. No offense to anyone, but I HAVE to start test shooting.
 
Back
Top