Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Backorder Update January 13

What you think people wouldn't purchase the RedMote if they could control the camera via iPad/iPhone?

I'd say in a professional environment the RedMote would win hands done on a iPad/Iphone. Its more robust and a dedicated unit.

I'm not sure why Red haven't released this app. A lot of people can't use their camera's and this would relief a lot of frustration quite easily.
 
Redmote not kicking goals at the moment....
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?71836-So-who-is-keeping-their-RedMote

I agree with you that the pro's will still want the proper thing - but between a $550 box and a $50 (moar?) app, the pennywise amongst us would go for the cheaper fix.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the piece of kit (it's all I have, and it's not even mine :smilewinkgrin:). It's pretty great in terms of info on screen, just a coupla practical hiccups right now. Hopefully firmware upgrades will fix.
 
I received my Redmote today (ordered end of October), and I am receiving my Ti Canon Mount tomorrow (ordered end of October).

Not on the backorder list but I received my olpf fix (flare guard) last week.

After tomorrow I will have everything in my package and no longer need to check the backorder thread daily.
 
Trust me.. this has kept me up at night. Just ask anyone at RED.. I've had rather embarassing temper tantrums behind closed doors over knowing some of our customers are being shipped camera brains with no way to actually using them.

The good news is that manufacturing has responded. The most important bit.. the Touch LCD, will be out of backorder next week. Redmotes will follow. New tech to manage the hundreds of thousands of components we need to make our products and make sure they are prioritized according to demand is being brought up.

I know its hard to see the good happening behind all this.. but we really are a new RED now. For the last couple years, Jim and I would give dates that usually turned out to be wild guesses from engineers. We have the smartest engineers on the planet ( seriously ) but they are the absolute last people one should ask the question "when".

Come the end of March.. Dates will be driven by manufacturing. Like it should be.

This is good news. On this forum in the past I've detected a touch of cynicism towards 'suits' and business school types. It's wonderful that Red has done so well without much in the way of business education, if indeed that is the case, and I also understand the perception that perhaps some of the innovation in designing these cameras owes something to a self-taught streak.

But, I have to say, a lot of people study management for a reason... to build on the skills they developed for themselves, which helps them to be able to do things like get production lines running at their maximum efficiency and throughput, anticipating what framework is needed to meet demand etc. etc. without it being trial and error or 'intuition' (guesswork).

If there is any reticence towards engaging with 'suits' I hope we get over that so that the business and supply side of things is no longer a weak link. Product design - great. Delivering that product - still needs work, recent progress notwithstanding.
 
This is good news. On this forum in the past I've detected a touch of cynicism towards 'suits' and business school types. It's wonderful that Red has done so well without much in the way of business education, if indeed that is the case, and I also understand the perception that perhaps some of the innovation in designing these cameras owes something to a self-taught streak.

But, I have to say, a lot of people study management for a reason... to build on the skills they developed for themselves, which helps them to be able to do things like get production lines running at their maximum efficiency and throughput, anticipating what framework is needed to meet demand etc. etc. without it being trial and error or 'intuition' (guesswork).

If there is any reticence towards engaging with 'suits' I hope we get over that so that the business and supply side of things is no longer a weak link. Product design - great. Delivering that product - still needs work, recent progress notwithstanding.

Not to argue, but Jim founded Oakley back in 1975. I think he learned a thing or two about business since then. Just wanted to put that out there.
 
Not to argue, but Jim founded Oakley back in 1975. I think he learned a thing or two about business since then. Just wanted to put that out there.

That's not news to me. But my point is that sometimes pride in being self-made and self-taught means that we underestimate the value of benefiting from knowledge discovered by others. I'm sure he learned a thing or two about business, but it wouldn't hurt to learn three if that solved their delivery weaknesses! No explanation for these backorder delays or staggered deliveries suggest any problems that couldn't be solved by an improvement in operational management (though obviously we don't know the full picture).
 
March
 
IDK, if what Jarred said a few days ago is true, then it could come sooner than that. He said it looks like the LCDs should be out of backorder sometime this week.
 
Canon Ti mounts were supposed to be out of backorder on Jan 31st. Yet, I'm told that mine is still quite far down the list. How is that even possible? What's going on guys? You're killing me (softly)!
 
my RED MOTE has shipped....
 
My RedMote will ship today or tomorrow - ordered with a Scarlet on Nov 4. Second last piece of the puzzle, now I just need the side handle.
 
My RedMote will ship today or tomorrow - ordered with a Scarlet on Nov 4. Second last piece of the puzzle, now I just need the side handle.

I am (almost )in the same boat - received everything (REDvolts, REDmags, charger, Station, AC, LCD) including REDmote (earlier this week) except the Side Handle and... uh, yes, the important piece - the Scarlet itself (with Al mount and SSD Side Module). Ordered Nov 7th.
 
Back
Top