Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

B&H photo in New York

My name is Alan Rosenfeld, I am the Post Production Sales Consultant at The Studio at B&H. The Studio is a long-in-development new division that offers broadcast and digital cinema solutions to professionals. As Emery and Jason have so kindly mentioned we have recently opened a professional showroom in our store here in NYC, where we display products that cover the range from acquisition through post. We sell a full range of RED accessories, many of which are displayed on our RED ONE #3265. We are also the Northeast reseller of Assimilate Scratch and their new Rocket Fuel solution.



Personally, I have been in the TV and Film production business the better part of 35 years during which time I have worked for several networks and managed and sold production and post for several major facilities in NYC. We also have very experienced production and post engineers on staff to solve problems and answer questions that arise. While B&H is indeed a sizeable company, we are a small division that will be better positioned to offer the customer service and support that the professional market demands.



Michael, that being said, and in response to your post that started this thread I can only say that your experience is not a typical one. We are well known for the high level of service that we provide and I regret any challenges you may have encountered with previous orders. For you and everyone else, my email is below, please feel free to contact us whenever you need assistance.
 
I appreciate your help

I appreciate your help

Alan I thank you for clarifying what you do and how to contact you. Next time I need anything I will surely contact you first and I understand these things happen. Like I said, this isn't how I would typically handle things, but I was VERY frustrated and needed a way to vent. Again, I wish you guys the best and hopefully this next few years will be successful for all of us in this industry!
 
We have purchased from B & H for years now and have never, ever, even once, received anything other than prompt attendence to our needs. Their prices are fair! Refunds are FAST! The people are COURTEOUS! The wait time to talk to them is SHORT!
These things have been CONSISTENT for us at least.
I find them exemplary, and truthfully and honestly could not ne HAPPIER with them!
 
B&H has been my primary vendor for many, many years and after spending tens of thousands of dollars with them, I can say they have always been extremely helpful. I have had only completely positive experiences with them.

Good shooting and best regards,

Leo
 
I live in Great Neck New York which is about 30 minutes away from B&H and I've been their customer for 20 years now. Although there have been times where their service was less than stellar, my overall experience with them has been positive.
 
My name is Alan Rosenfeld, I am the Post Production Sales Consultant at The Studio at B&H. ... For you and everyone else, my email is below, please feel free to contact us whenever you need assistance.

Alan Rosenfeld
Production Sales
arosenfeld@abelcine.com
AbelCine

Alan, So you are at Abel and B&H?

I too have done business with B&H for the last 15 years and have had no complaints. More often than not the sales people have been willing and able to find the answers to my questions. Their website is great, ordering is easy and delivery prompt. Seldom has been the occasion in which I have needed to return a product, but when I have it has been a smooth process.

I have completed hundreds of transactions with B&H and never had a problem. I would have to characterize those transactions as pretty straight forward, and as a customer I would say I am pretty low maintenance. It IS a huge company, and your milage may vary. I look forward to making contact with The Studio personnel.
 
BH Has been great to me... Even in times of service. I have painlessly returned or exchanged things from them just by going on the website and using their online chat system + return menu.
 
Alan used to be at B&H. He is now at AbelCine.



Alan, So you are at Abel and B&H?

I too have done business with B&H for the last 15 years and have had no complaints. More often than not the sales people have been willing and able to find the answers to my questions. Their website is great, ordering is easy and delivery prompt. Seldom has been the occasion in which I have needed to return a product, but when I have it has been a smooth process.

I have completed hundreds of transactions with B&H and never had a problem. I would have to characterize those transactions as pretty straight forward, and as a customer I would say I am pretty low maintenance. It IS a huge company, and your milage may vary. I look forward to making contact with The Studio personnel.
 
Able cine for me too...
I have had things that I have returned with great after sales service.

B&H can be painful when things don't go right. but are great when they do...

You only need to get burnt once as far as Im concerned. I don't give to many people second chances.
 
I feel exactly the same way about Able.
B&H delivers the goods in a no-nonsense way,
Able is rarely ready or willing to do much of anything.
 
Able cine for me too...
I have had things that I have returned with great after sales service.
B&H can be painful when things don't go right. but are great when they do...
You only need to get burnt once as far as Im concerned. I don't give to many people second chances.

Any time something doesn't "go right" let me know. We want to fix whatever it is for the individual customer AND determine if there's some policy or practice we should evaluate to avoid repeating whatever it was that vexed the customer in the first place.
 
The last time I got screwed by B&H and spoke with someone over the phone, I listed off the top of my head at least $30,000 worth of stuff I've bought from them. They still refused to help, so I said they would be losing my loyalty as a customer. They smugly said "That's fine." Ever since, B&H has been the retailer of last resort.

Additionally, I hardly ever visit DVInfo anymore after it was admitted that b/c B&H is a sponsor, threads critical of B&H are taken down.
 
My B&H war story...

Went there for a 'bunch of small stuff' a couple of years ago.

The B&H parking lot was full so they directed me to the 'overflow' underground parking lot.

Was in the store about an hour, as usual a 'bunch of small stuff' eventually came to a couple of grand! :laugh:

Got my parking validated, went to get my car back.

'OK that'll be $20'.

'What are you talking about, I just dropped $2k. The parking is free!'

'Yeah the parking is free but it's $20 for an SUV...'

'It's not an SUV, it's an R-Class - and where does it say that on the ticket? I've been to B&H many times in this car, never a problem' (ok not a small car but sure as hell not an SUV!)

'It's an SUV if I say it's an SUV, and I don't care what it says on the fucking ticket, $20 or you don't get your car back'

It went on downhill from there as you could imagine - the guy was right in my face, threatening, taunting me etc.

I left and went back to B&H. Their response, eventually, was to say 'sorry, here's $20 to go pay the guy off'.

Excuse me, one, I don't pay crooks off, and two, the guy was actually physically threatening, you think I'm going back in there? YOU deal with it. I ended up dealing with the duty manager, the guy in the little office up the spiral stair; he got a guy to go over to get my car back and guess what, they STILL wouldn't let the car go unless they were paid off. Took a couple of hours to sort out.

B&H, if you associate with crooks and muggers you'll be tarred as crooks and muggers.

Guess what I tell anyone who asks about B&H?


Mike
 
The last time I got screwed by B&H and spoke with someone over the phone, I listed off the top of my head at least $30,000 worth of stuff I've bought from them. They still refused to help, so I said they would be losing my loyalty as a customer. They smugly said "That's fine." Ever since, B&H has been the retailer of last resort.

I do not know the details of this exchange. I am sorry for your dissatisfaction. I'd be happy to look into it if you care to email the details or the B&H transaction number.

Additionally, I hardly ever visit DVInfo anymore after it was admitted that b/c B&H is a sponsor, threads critical of B&H are taken down.

It's no secret who sponsors dvinfo. They post their sponsors here. The fact is though that we have NEVER asked them or any forum where we participate as a member or an affiliate or a sponsor to remove, censor, delete or otherwise alter, modify or remove and thread or individual thread entry or member, ever. If a forum manager or owner or mod does, it's on them and done without our request or input. In fact if asked (and this has happened very rarely and never there) I would always say, "Let it stand."

it. I ended up dealing with the duty manager, the guy in the little office up the spiral stair; he got a guy to go over to get my car back and guess what, they STILL wouldn't let the car go unless they were paid off. Took a couple of hours to sort out.

Very sorry. We do not own the 'overflow' underground parking lot and the people working there are not our employees. If it was the lot on W 33rd St it's where I park when I drive in also. None of them there is a ray of sunshine to me either.

Manhattan has far too few parking spaces and garages know they have the upper hand. We always prefer to do business with upright and worthy colleagues. I am glad to read our store manager assisted you by sending a B&H employee to retrieve your car for you.
 
I've had one or two less-than-stellar experiences with B&H, but things have always been resolved in the end.

As to the original post… I wish people were more careful about using the word "hate." I think it's a bit strong of a word to use for a company that may or may not (but usually does) get you your camera widget in a timely fashion and for a good price.
 
Back
Top