Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

ADOBE PREMIERE 6 --- I HAVE NO WORDS ....

I don't want to beat a dead horse. It's not about $30/mo.:
1. That is an introductory rate for one year only. the regular rate is $50/ mo.
2. it's not about the $50/mo. Or even the $600/yr... It is about paying $1200 over two years (x each seat)
3. It's about paying that $1200/seat and having to pony up another $1200/seat on the day you choose to terminate the contract.
4. It's not about breaking one's entire business as much as it is about a failure to maximize ROI, though I would argue that habitually failing to maximize ROI will kill your business.

If your clients truly require that each of your software licenses is current, then this obviously isn't a concern for you. (unless you continually charge them for Spam and deliver filet mignon.)

If, like in your example, money was this tight for me I doubt I could even afford to buy the full license anyways :)

$30/$50 a month is less than most people's phone bill. Less than their cable bills. It's $1 a day @$30 a month! haha

Really, it's about having choices. If you want to upgrade or get a full license go for it. I much prefer the subscription option.
 
3. It's about paying that $1200/seat and having to pony up another $1200/seat on the day you choose to terminate the contract.

I'm not following you on this point.

Maximizing ROI on this type of thing was much more important during the era of six-figure AVID workstations. Now with software that does light years more and costs $1.67 or less per day to "lease" it's not much of an issue I think. Most people spend more than this on coffee per day.

It's really an amazing time to be doing this stuff. So many affordable quality tools out there now.

Again, it's all about options. Do whatever works for you. There are even free professional NLE programs now (Lightworks) that you can use.
 
I'm not following you on this point.

Maximizing ROI on this type of thing was much more important during the era of six-figure AVID workstations. Now with software that does light years more and costs $1.67 or less per day to "lease" it's not much of an issue I think. Most people spend more than this on coffee per day.

It's really an amazing time to be doing this stuff. So many affordable quality tools out there now.

Again, it's all about options. Do whatever works for you. There are even free professional NLE programs now (Lightworks) that you can use.

It is completely exciting. Adobe and others are delivering a ridiculous amount of functionality for the dollar.

While the size of the investment has changed as to seem insignificant by comparison, revenues have also shrunk. It's completely relative.

Also, I'm talking about competitive advantage here. As a consumer of these tools you aren't getting an edge on your competition by virtue of the fact that you are paying less for the tools unless you are getting a significantly better deal on those tools than your competition does. At these rates I don't think anyone is getting a better deal than the next guy. The business that can wring the most out if every dollar is going to be the one with the upper hand. Some claim to be able to do that while leasing. If that is you, go for it!

I'm not trying to convince anyone that what works for me will be best for them. I am interested to caution folks of the suprise that could be waiting for them on the other side of a lease though.
 
Luigi, have you tried the adobe media encoder to transcode to ProRes?
really interested.

Thanks.

Ciao VIco,
yes Testing:

hpz800 lion 10.7.3 , dual cpu intel 2,93 ghz, 48 gb ram
clip 5k , 2:35 (5:1) Red EPIC , lenght 4 min 23 second with audio.

Adobe premiere cs6 with redrocket: 3 min 42 second +-
Redcine-x pro 13 : 4 min 36 second +-

Adobe premiere cs6 without redrocket: 7 min 57 second +-
Redcine-x pro 13 without redrocket: 1 hours 27 min 37 second +-

add: Media Encoder cs6
same clip duration 4:23 converted with only Media Encoder 12 min +-
the cpu go from 67 to 95%..

For now better is Premeire cs6 encoding.
 

Attachments

  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
Finally some tests, I'm trying to use Magic Bullet look 2 movies about 5k, I'm still surprised by this Premiere cs6, I'm going with a realtime filters. What was previously impossible even with normal movies...

Crazy ....
 
I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that with a cloud subscription you get a box version too? I didn't see that. If that were true why would anyone pay full price for any box this year?

From Adobe FAQ:


There are no unpaid updates with the box versions. Surely that's not what you mean, is it? If you buy CS6 box this year you will have to pay for the next upgrade. Sure it will be an option to upgrade as always.

Clearly, what Mike is saying is that, with the cloud, the moment you stop paying your monthly subscription (for whatever reason), you have NO more access to any of the Adobe applications. Just your files. With the purchase of the software, you have the applications forever. Even if there are newer versions available, you're not dead in the water. You still have perfectly capable software that you can renew whenever you feel the need.

If that is what he was saying, then he and I are in agreement. It seemed as if he was taking issue with something I had posted, hence my confusion.


What I was saying is that if Adobe updates Premiere Pro CS6 to 6.0.1 you'll get the update if you subscribe to Cloud or if you bought the box version. Adobe is marketing Cloud as if you only get that update if you subscribe to Cloud, or at least it appears many people are interpreting it that way because a lot of people are saying things like "Cloud will keep me up to date". So will buying the box version. You can update both.
 
I don't care about having old software forever. What is a copy of CS3 worth now? I wouldn't take a license for it for free. I want the latest and at $29.99 a month Adobe is giving it away.

I have been on the monthly subscription plan for Production Premium since last fall. Love it and have had 0 issues. Those of you concerned about losing access if you having a billing issue (e.g. credit card change or whatever) need not worry. One unsuccessful billing attempt does not mean instant deactivation and blocked access. Adobe gives you time to straighten billing issues out.

"Software as a service" is the future. One I totally embrace.


It's only $30/month for one year, then it goes to to $50/month. If you upgrade every year you're spending $375 per year to have the latest version of Production Premium, which is likely what most of us actually need and are using. With Cloud you'll spend $600 per year to have the latest version. Granted you get Lightroom with Cloud, which is worth $100, but that's still $125 more per year that you have to spend with Cloud. And if you cancel after a year you have nothing to show for the money you spent since the apps will no longer work.

For someone like me who doesn't want to use any cloud features, the last thing I want is to be forced into a subscription software situation. It would be nice if there were different tiers, like a price for Production Premium Cloud and Master Collection Cloud. If someone wants the Cloud features, but only needs 2 or 3 apps they still have to pay $600 per year for a bunch of apps they have no use for.
 
BTW, I've not looked into it so I don't know the answer, but does the cloud version require Internet access while using the software (like a VPN)? Or does the software exist on your computer with a short-term license that needs Internet/cloud access to remain current? Could also be an influencing factor in which version to use - especially if using it in remote locations.
 
It's only $30/month for one year, then it goes to to $50/month. If you upgrade every year you're spending $375 per year to have the latest version of Production Premium, which is likely what most of us actually need and are using. With Cloud you'll spend $600 per year to have the latest version. Granted you get Lightroom with Cloud, which is worth $100, but that's still $125 more per year that you have to spend with Cloud. And if you cancel after a year you have nothing to show for the money you spent since the apps will no longer work.

For someone like me who doesn't want to use any cloud features, the last thing I want is to be forced into a subscription software situation. It would be nice if there were different tiers, like a price for Production Premium Cloud and Master Collection Cloud. If someone wants the Cloud features, but only needs 2 or 3 apps they still have to pay $600 per year for a bunch of apps they have no use for.

You get more apps with Cloud than Production Premium. I realize not everyone needs all these, but here is the comparison:

Cloud

Photoshop® CS6 Extended
Illustrator® CS6
InDesign® CS6
Acrobat® X Pro
Flash® Professional CS6
Flash Builder® 4.6 Premium Edition
Dreamweaver® CS6
Fireworks® CS6
Premiere® Pro CS6
After Effects® CS6
Audition® CS6
SpeedGrade™ CS6
Prelude™ CS6
Muse™
Edge preview
Media Encoder CS6
Bridge CS6

Production Premium

Premiere Pro CS6
After Effects CS6
Photoshop CS6 Extended
Audition CS6
SpeedGrade CS6
Prelude CS6
Illustrator® CS6
Encore® CS6
Flash® Professional CS6
Media Encoder CS6
Bridge CS6
 
BTW, I've not looked into it so I don't know the answer, but does the cloud version require Internet access while using the software (like a VPN)? Or does the software exist on your computer with a short-term license that needs Internet/cloud access to remain current? Could also be an influencing factor in which version to use - especially if using it in remote locations.

It's on the FAQ:

Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Suite applications?

Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check.


http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html
 
It's on the FAQ:

Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Suite applications?

Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html
That's cool. Thanks Brandon.
 
my only question so far is how do I get my Blackmagic Decklink Extreme 3D to appear as an option in the playback menu of Premiere?

The card is installed and has the latest drivers.....
 
my only question so far is how do I get my Blackmagic Decklink Extreme 3D to appear as an option in the playback menu of Premiere?

The card is installed and has the latest drivers.....

Matt,
Must reinstall driver 9.5 blackmagic.

Luigi
 
Matt,
Must reinstall driver 9.5 blackmagic.

Luigi
Not to start any flame wars, but I tested DV 9.5 (Intensity Pro > HDMI > Dell U2711) with both CS 6 PPro and FCPX 10.0.4. Using the same ProRes 422 codec from R3D 4K HD, the footage seems to be blurry in PPro at Full res compared to FCPX. Not a big deal but Im wondering if anyone else noticed this?
I will test on the DeckLink (CUBIX > Flanders) today against Avid AMA and Resolve.
 
has anyone been able to get their footage to show up in spped grade at 4k? it keeps coming in at 2 k for me
 
has anyone been able to get their footage to show up in spped grade at 4k? it keeps coming in at 2 k for me

Hi Ryan, SpeedGrade by default uses the 1/2 res for both paused and playback display (this is just a viewing option that doesn't affect rendering).

To change this, simply go to the settings (hit 'S') click on Dynamic Quality and modify what you want to see (and what your computer can handle). A good compromise is show Full Res when paused and Half or Quarter when playing to get real time playback without Red Rocket.

Lin
 
Since the software isn't officially out yet, the short answer is "No". There are some good tutorials floating around at Vimeo and Youtube. There's also good stuff at Adobe TV.

Lin
 
Back
Top