Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

$16 Wifi side plate for DSMC2

Nathan DuMoulin

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2015
Messages
450
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Toronto
red_wifi.png


I'm a huge proponent of FoolControl, and Mikael has done an amazing job at developing the app. That being said, the internal antenna on the DSMC2 cameras ...well, kind of sucks. WC announced a very elegant solution at Cinegear last week, which will be shipping next month for $500. It's on my list of things to pick up when I have more money, but in the meantime I decided to whip up a quick workaround.

Similar to the Lattitude Sidekick module, I designed the Wifi antenna to sandwich between the camera and the DSMC2 side plate. It replaces the internal Wifi antenna, which connects under the plate. Shown in the picture above is a 4" antenna that I had already, however I've since ordered a smaller 2" antenna that should be more suitable.

UPDATE. I have tested the range, and the ad-hoc mode gets around 300-350ft now, and that's with the smaller 2db antenna.

The mod costs a grand total of $16 in parts, and takes under 5 minutes to install. Here's a list of parts, as well as the 3D file in case any one wants to make their own:

1) 3D printed side plate ($10)
2) 2db 2.4ghz antenna ($4 on ebay)
3) 4" (10cm) U.FL cable ($1 on ebay)
4) 4x M3 18mm screws ($1)

File: http://runoutmedia.com/business/red_wifi_3d_v4.zip

The file is designed in MM, intended for 100 microns or smaller. You can get it 3D printed in whatever material you like, but the standard black PLA (plastic) seems quite suitable. I used 3dhubs.com, which allows you to upload the file, and then it will list all the 3d print facilities closest to you, as well as complete the transaction.

Please note that you'll need the right type of antenna/cable to make this work, as there are many different kinds that look the same, but have different intended purposes (see the list above, as well as check on page 3 for further discussion). Obviously I assume no responsibility for whatever modifications you make to your camera, so use at your own risk. :)

EDIT. As kindly noted by Mikael below, the U.FL connector on the antenna is rather fragile, so just be a little cautious when swapping the new antenna with the internal one (use tweezers or something, rather than yanking on the cable to pull it loose).
 
Last edited:
nice job!
i wonder why the WC one has to replace the power button too?
 
nice job!
i wonder why the WC one has to replace the power button too?

Thanks!

The WC version replaces the entire side of the camera, so that the Sidekick or upcoming Side Handle will still sit flat and line up with the internal ribbon/electrical connector. My workaround doesn't facilitate that. :)
 
Last edited:
Nice. Yes the wooden camera side plate replacing original one was the only way to keep it compatible with sidekick, dsmc2 sidehandle etc while offering a semi permanent elegant solution.

It is important because the antenna connector is quite a fragile one and you would not want to disconnect and reconnect it too often.
Wooden camera plate will ship with a small tool to avoid any bending / twisting and some vinyl tape to attach the original antenna cable inside.

Nathan's solution is great and should also provide stronger wifi with the right antenna but be careful with your camera, avoid too many mating cycles or stress on the connector if you decide to install an external antenna.
 
Very cool of you to share this Nathan.

If this solution markedly increases range - and if many people are going to be buying the new side handle - perhaps RED could consider introducing an (optional) external aerial into it?

AJ
 
Hey Nathan,

awesome little tool.
I'm looking forward to read your test results.
Unfortunately I'm in London and 3dhub.com couldn't find anyone close to me.
Well unless I have choosen wrong settings.
When you upload your model do you use CM or MM for units?
Also which material would you use for this? PLA or ABS? Or something totally different?
So I'll have to find someone the old fashioned way. I was thinking wether it would make
more sense to have the antenna going out towards the top of the camera?
What program did you use to create the model?
I would like to play around with it a bit if you allow.
 
Last edited:
Nathan, thanks for sharing that simple solution. Good MacGyver move. What range or non range where you getting? Or What would be improvement range you are looking? Asking relative to researching the good, best, better antenna?
 
The file is design in MM, intended for 100 microns or smaller. You can get it 3D printed in whatever material you like, but the standard black PLA (plastic) seems quite suitable. I used 3dhubs.com, which allows you to upload the file, and then it will list all the 3d print facilities closest to you (it found a guy just down the street who had it done and delivered to me within a few hours).

I updated the original post with this additional information.

Also intended to do some range tests later tonight or tomorrow. Just trying to take care of some legal work for a shoot while it's still business hours. Man I hate this aspect of project management. lol

Anyway, I'll get the results posted as soon as I can, as I have both 2db and 5db antennas for testing.
 
Thanks Nathan, but why are those wifi antennas so fragile, not flexible and cumbersome. Do you know any other type of wifi antennas?
Thanks
Pat
 
Okay guys, I just did a quick test.

In ad-hoc mode with the internal antenna, I was getting maybe 5-10ft before the signal would drop. There's only my home wifi signal to cause interference, and even changing channels didn't help much. Either way it was absolutely unusable for pulling focus with FoolControl, and very unreliable even for changing camera settings.

Now with my wifi side plate and a small 2db antenna, I'm getting around 300-350ft before the ad-hoc starts to get spotty. I have a 5db antenna as well, but didn't bother to test that as 350ft seemed plenty.

I haven't had a chance to test infrastructure mode, but I think that really would be dependent on the strength of the router. Either way I'm certain the signal would go much further, even if using a budget router.
 
Nice! I may have to look into getting this myself. Thanks for all of this Nathan! Do you have any links to the bits you got on eBay?
 
Hey Nathan

What a fantastic idea and mod you came up!
Although I am still leaning towards Latitude solution (I only have manual lenses) I am curious what max. range you could get with 5db antenna in infrastructure mode. Did you get 300-350ft indoor or outdoor? Also it would be good to know if RF will cause interference, especially when using on gimbal or drone.

Does anybody know what type of wifi is implemented in the Dsmc2 body because this will be the limiting factor. Unfortunately, there are no specifications in the operating documenation.

Best,
Thai
 
Back
Top