Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Weapon Wifi - Foolcontrol - really slow to connect

roryhinds

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
2,144
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Website
www.minefilms.com
So I'm having a really problem connecting to my Weapon with FoolControl on my iPhone.
It does connect eventually but takes minutes instead of seconds and its really slowing production down.

I fly the FreeFly Alta which has wifi control and that connects instantly but when I go to connect to my Weapon, I can select it in the list but it takes minutes to connect and foolcontrol has to be restarted a few time. Frustrating like Redmote.

Where is the antenna for the Wifi on the Weapon?
I'm using Ad-Hoc, is there something I'm missing?
 
Get the wooden camera wifi sideplate
 
Thanks Jake, I would really like to avoid adding more weight to my camera with this side plate. Besides isn't Red's Wifi supposed to be good up to 150feet?
I have issues connecting when I'm 1 foot away.
 
Hi Rory... You can contact me by email if you want to troubleshoot your issues..

The antenna is located between the 2 intake fans.

It looks like it could be a channel / interference issue with the freefly or surrounding wifi networks.
In most case choosing another ad hoc channel should solve this... Otherwise using infrastructure mode with a small router (like the tplink usb 25$ one I linked in other threads) really improves wifi reliability too.

There are several apps like 'wifi scanner' if you are on a Mac that will let you see the surrounding wifi networks strength and channel to help choose one that ain't too busy.

No recent news from the freefly team on integrating foolcontrol into their wifi system but hopefully will come to fruition soon.
 
Thanks Mikael

I'll try a different channel and see how that goes. I can't see me using a small router as I'm on a drone so its before take off and on landing that i need to control the camera.
I mainly shoot in rural locations so there are very few wifi signals. At the moment I can see the Weapon in the network list, I select it then open FoolControl, it takes awhile to see the camera and I click on it and it opens but doesn't populate the UI so I have to go back and select the Weapon a few times before it populates the UI.

In most cases I'm between 1 foot and 5 foot away from the camera so its pretty poor and embarrassing when I'm trying to just play back the last take and have the Director waiting on me.
I'm mostly on Alexa shows so this is another crap point they can shit all over the Red.
 
No recent news from the freefly team on integrating foolcontrol into their wifi system but hopefully will come to fruition soon.

Whoa, hold the phone. Did you say Foolcontrol integration with Freefly might be in the works? Sign me up!
 
Thanks Mikael

I'll try a different channel and see how that goes. I can't see me using a small router as I'm on a drone so its before take off and on landing that i need to control the camera.
I mainly shoot in rural locations so there are very few wifi signals. At the moment I can see the Weapon in the network list, I select it then open FoolControl, it takes awhile to see the camera and I click on it and it opens but doesn't populate the UI so I have to go back and select the Weapon a few times before it populates the UI.

In most cases I'm between 1 foot and 5 foot away from the camera so its pretty poor and embarrassing when I'm trying to just play back the last take and have the Director waiting on me.
I'm mostly on Alexa shows so this is another crap point they can shit all over the Red.

Check my solution in the picture. Cost you only US 3.90 for the UFL cable. and no additional weight for drone.
I use Gremsy H7 which has wifi too. I can easily switch between both (SW and Gremsy). And range is much much better. Works like a charm.

Important: choose another channel (8 works fine for me), then reboot camera. Also good to know, switch off automatic sleep mode or display off on your iphone. Otherwise you have to reconnect with the wifi again. Slows down the process.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top