Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Unloading Red files on the go in 2019

Mendes Nabil

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 14, 2012
Messages
478
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Location
Paris, France
Website
www.nabilmendes.com
Hi all!

Technology is going at a crazy speed today, and i need your enlightenment.

Can i transfer files from a Red CF card to a Micro sd card through an iPhone?
With a card reader like this, that is technically possible :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RVCM99M/ref=psdc_516872_t2_B077VC79FZ

But i'm not an iPhone guy and i don't know if IOS allows to transfer unrecognized files (or folders) from a card slot (CF) to an other (Micro sd)..
That could really help with the 16gb Red cf card limitation.

Thanks in advance!
 
You can’t with an iPhone, but you can now with an iPad with the new iPadOS beta. I’ve been transferring files through my iPad Pro no problem. You just can’t play any .r3ds yet unfortunately. All you need is a USB-C hub to give you multiple USB ports.
 
Last edited:
You can’t with an iPhone, but you can now with an iPad with the new iPadOS beta. I’ve been transferring files through my iPad Pro no problem. You just can’t play and .r3ds yet unfortunately. All you need is a USB-C hub to give you multiple USB ports.

Thanks for your answer! But you are talking about unloading .R3D files to a hard drive right?
What about transferring from a CF card to a MicroSD card with the USB-C card reader i've linked below?

As for your technique, do i need an iPad pro or all iPad/ipad mini can do the job? Is there a particular app needed?

Thank you!!
 
You can’t with an iPhone, but you can now with an iPad with the new iPadOS beta. I’ve been transferring files through my iPad Pro no problem. You just can’t play any .r3ds yet unfortunately. All you need is a USB-C hub to give you multiple USB ports.

Well this is great news. I'm interested in not re-upping on a laptop in the future and just going iPad Pro and owning a tower. I'm hoping we can get like a Hedge or something for iPadOS. I only ever need my machine for dumping as a backup anyway. Cole, are you doing a "finder" style transfer or are there apps already that will do verification?
 
Thanks for your answer! But you are talking about unloading .R3D files to a hard drive right?
What about transferring from a CF card to a MicroSD card with the USB-C card reader i've linked below?

As for your technique, do i need an iPad pro or all iPad/ipad mini can do the job? Is there a particular app needed?

Thank you!!

Sure you could I guess I just don’t know why you would want to. SSDs are cheap, fast, and small already. MicroSD sounds like a bad idea for media to transfer footage to.

Yes right now it’s just the native files app, to my knowledge there isn’t a robust transfer app yet like hedge or shotput. Hopefully we get something like that soon.
 
I just tested again today on the latest iPadOS 13 beta on the latest iPad Pro and connecting up a mini-mag reader over USB-C works fine in the Files app. Very easy to transfer them to the internal iPad storage. Even copying to iCloud Drive works fine on a good connection, it transfers to internal storage and then they get uploaded just fine. There are some good USB-C hubs out there that work well with the iPad Pro if you need to charge and transfer files from a mini-mag to another external storage device and also power the device.

Would love to see Red develop an app that allows R3D playback of some sort. I would imagine an iPad Pro is capable of playing back some R3Ds at some resolutions. Or as others mentioned maybe something like Hedge for iPad.
 
Last edited:
You can’t with an iPhone, but you can now with an iPad with the new iPadOS beta. I’ve been transferring files through my iPad Pro no problem. You just can’t play any .r3ds yet unfortunately. All you need is a USB-C hub to give you multiple USB ports.

Is it fast? Cause if it is.... that’s my new offloading setup.
 
I love the iPad setup but I would be concerned about power consumption over the USB C port especially when using a hub. Getting an AC powered hub would negate the mobility of it if it can't drive both the Mini-Mag reader and an external hdd.
 
Would love to see Red develop an app that allows R3D playback of some sort. I would imagine an iPad Pro is capable of playing back some R3Ds at some resolutions. Or as others mentioned maybe something like Hedge for iPad.

That would be a valid reason to upgrade to an ipad pro. I would be ok with a lower resolution. Just so I can verify that clips playback. Would be cool if you could put in info to the meta data on the ipad aswell.
 
I love the iPad setup but I would be concerned about power consumption over the USB C port especially when using a hub. Getting an AC powered hub would negate the mobility of it if it can't drive both the Mini-Mag reader and an external hdd.

Im fine with an ac for both ipad and an external drive. Or even better if there is a sleek usg port dubbler so you could run ac to the ipad and power the external drive from the ipad.
 
I was curious so I bought a Kingston Nucleum USB-C hub. - https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Nuc...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B076BGJXTG

I chose this one because it has USB-C power passthrough and also has an additional USB-C port and SD car readers. And..

It works!

This is a 12.9" iPad Pro, getting power through the hub via USB-C charger, with a RED mini-mag reader connected, as well as an SD card. All being recognized as expected in iOS 13. Really makes me want an R3D playback app and a tool like Hedge on iOS.

IMG_0011.png


I wanted to try even more scenarios out, so I got my Anker USB-C battery (Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C, I mainly use these to power my Sound Devices MixPre6), and with one of these connected to the passthrough power port on the hub, I was able to power and use: RED Mini-Mag reader, G-drive USB-C SSD, SD card reader all at once and copy between them all.

IMG_0012.png


Very cool to see this all working!

I think it would be much more interesting to be able to connect a mini-mag reader and playback R3D footage. If I have a red camera with me it is extremely easy to also have a MBP in a backpack for backups, but would definitely be cool to review footage on an iPad as well.
 
Last edited:
Just a follow up note after using it for a couple weeks, larger external HDDs like a 4tb won’t spin up presumedly due to power output from the USB-C port, but SSDs work great. Also I’ve noticed transfer speed is seemingly limited to 160mb/s, but perhaps it’s my cables I’ve ordered more to test.
 
Is it fast? Cause if it is.... that’s my new offloading setup.

With the setup mentioned above. I was able to copy a 1GB R3D (.RDC folder) to the local iPad storage in 6.5 seconds. Copying same clip to G-Tech slim SSD direct from mini-mag reader took 35 seconds (probably due to cable being used or possibly power?, took the exact same time to copy from local storage to SSD, with or without the hub). Copying the same file from mini-mag reader direct to G-tech SSD on a MBP took 25 seconds. Copying direct to the internal MBP PCIe storage took 4 seconds. Would definitely be interesting to test more of the USB-C SSD storage devices on the iPad Pro. The speeds when copying to the internal storage are pretty impressive though!

Didn't try copying to SD card as that isn't really a setup I would ever really consider.

The one thing iOS 13 is missing for large file transfers is a good progress bar. You will see a greyed out version of the file until it is finished copying to its location. I would love to see the people at Hedge put together a nice dedicated app and do some testing to see which external storage devices work best.
 
Just a follow up note after using it for a couple weeks, larger external HDDs like a 4tb won’t spin up presumedly due to power output from the USB-C port, but SSDs work great. Also I’ve noticed transfer speed is seemingly limited to 160mb/s, but perhaps it’s my cables I’ve ordered more to test.

Which SSDs have you tested with so far?
 
It wouldn’t surprise me if in the next two weeks, there is a Metal optimised version of R3D playback in the Red SDK.

As Apple’s new ML core (in the iPhone) houses 1TFLop of h/w accelerated matrix multiplication - and this (Tensor like) function is leveraged in the real time CUDA accelerated playback, there might be a way of tuning R3D playback on future Apple Mobile devices.

I was looking to hand optimise iPad R3D playback (just before JL announced the Nvidia fork) - but found the heavy lifting ‘hiding’ behind the RED API.

Hopefully we’ll find out about Metal & R3D playback (inc new Komodo redcode variation?) when the Modular Mac Pro (with AB) becomes available to the masses.

AJ
 
I would love to see the people at Hedge put together a nice dedicated app and do some testing to see which external storage devices work best.

... on it
 
Would love to see Red develop an app that allows R3D playback of some sort. I would imagine an iPad Pro is capable of playing back some R3Ds at some resolutions. Or as others mentioned maybe something like Hedge for iPad.

Can I also Imagine HydrogenOne as well (lol)
 
Back
Top