Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

The Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious, For us that has carbon weapon and paid for the VV upgrade during NAB... what do we do october 11? Should we sit and hit the refresh button on red.com or do we already have a place in the cue for helium?

Trying hard not to be a dick, and appreciate that I've had my CF Weapon Dragon 6K in hand for many months. That said, those of us that threw down for Carbon Weapon and pre-paid for an 8K VV sensor in April of 2015 were hoping for some period of time in which we had the "new hotness" and could make back a chunk of our investment renting a limited supply item. As the production of VV Dragons slowed down like the 405 on Friday afternoon, it wasn't too painful since there was still virtually no other 8K game in town. When RED managed to get their next gen sensor ready for prime time sooner than anticipated, the CF/VV folks were told that we would get the 8K Helium sensors to tide us over (or to keep) due to the delays. That was a very generous offer since it would require extra labor costs for RED, well played. Now, with Oct. 11th looming and Epic-Ws stocked up for shipping, the window for full price 8K rentals in a limited supply market is essentially gone.

RED is not responsible for my choices, or my predictions on how the rollout would go. That said, if RED has the capability to get 8K Helium sensors through QC why haven't the VV waiters been notified and allocated? As an owner/operator even a one month jump on the hundreds of 8K cameras about to ship would have helped. I don't want to piss on the love fest, and RED has certainly been most generous in terms of upgrade paths and discounts - just feel like the folks that dug deep at NAB 2015 to be at the front of the line could have at least been given a short window to try and recoup some of that investment.

I understand that RED is trying to make things right, and that no plan could be perfectly fair to every one of the plethora of upgrade paths in play. Just had to get that off my chest.

Cheers - #19
 
Are Epic Dragons lumped in with all the other DSMC1 cameras for the upgrade price? Because I've got a buddy who had a deposit in for Weapon Mg upgrade (with $5k accessory credit), and Brent said no more Mg upgrades. So is his only option to give up his Dragon + $20k for the Epic-W...?

Epic Dragon to Epic-W is $14,500 its the MX cameras that are $19,500 to upgrade.
 
I have a question about E-W upgrades. I apologize if its already been asked or answered. The pace of this thread is increasable.

So from what I understand those whom do not have a brain in possession with an unfulfilled deposit will have priority first. If that statement is true how quickly will people have to decide to switch before they get passed up? I don't think Red can wait around for people to answer.

Can someone comment on this?

Thank you!

John
 
Are Epic Dragons lumped in with all the other DSMC1 cameras for the upgrade price? Because I've got a buddy who had a deposit in for Weapon Mg upgrade (with $5k accessory credit), and Brent said no more Mg upgrades. So is his only option to give up his Dragon + $20k for the Epic-W...?

My understanding: If the camera is already at RED HQ for upgrading, he will still get a Weapon MG back. If he has only paid the deposit, the ship has sailed.
 
I have a question about E-W upgrades. I apologize if its already been asked or answered. The pace of this thread is increasable.

So from what I understand those whom do not have a brain in possession with an unfulfilled deposit will have priority first. If that statement is true how quickly will people have to decide to switch before they get passed up? I don't think Red can wait around for people to answer.

Can someone comment on this?

Thank you!

John

It sounds like it will be combination of timing of your order (on Oct 11) + your timestamp.

So if you have an early timestamp, but your order is too late to get in on a batch, then it sounds like you'd be shuffled into an upcoming batch.
 
My understanding: If the camera is already at RED HQ for upgrading, he will still get a Weapon MG back. If he has only paid the deposit, the ship has sailed.

Yeah, it wasn't at RED HQ. Kind of a bummer that it's a no heads up "here today, gone tomorrow" kinda thing. But hey, no one else gives any upgrade offers, so you gotta take the good with the bad!
 
Yeah, it wasn't at RED HQ. Kind of a bummer that it's a no heads up "here today, gone tomorrow" kinda thing. But hey, no one else gives any upgrade offers, so you gotta take the good with the bad!

Jarred and Brent mentioned it, that the upgrade to Weapon MG is running out earlier than later.

My next posting has #500. It will be hopefully a special one. I am waiting to get back my Weapon MG. Camera is at RED HQ for upgrading since a few weeks...
 
The way I see it, you get a $10K discount on Epic-W if A, you've been waiting a long time, or B, you're trading in your camera.

Putting a deposit today and getting an Epic-W for $20K is somewhat a gaming of the system, because let's face it, you waited a week or two at best. Some of us have been waiting 10 months.

So in a way "It's not fair" that you have to trade in your camera, but you're still getting a $10K discount for a camera that wasn't promised an upgrade path to DSMC2. The only real unfairness I see, is people getting a discount for waiting a handful of days, and this is just unfair to Red, not us. I'm happy I'm getting what I'm getting.
 
The way I see it, you get a $10K discount on Epic-W if A, you've been waiting a long time, or B, you're trading in your camera.

Putting a deposit today and getting an Epic-W for $20K is somewhat a gaming of the system, because let's face it, you waited a week or two at best. Some of us have been waiting 10 months.

So in a way "It's not fair" that you have to trade in your camera, but you're still getting a $10K discount for a camera that wasn't promised an upgrade path to DSMC2. The only real unfairness I see, is people getting a discount for waiting a handful of days, and this is just unfair to Red, not us. I'm happy I'm getting what I'm getting.

Truth
 
I just want to confirm the pricing on MG Weapon to Helium Weapon, I had seen $15K previously, can anyone confirm this?

Yes - Confirmed in several posts - here is one:


Originally Posted by Jarred Land
Upgrade Options:

Epic Dragon / Scarlet Dragon / Epic-MX / Scarlet-MX / Red One = $17,500 Upgrade to Epic-W

Scarlet-W already delivered or deposit = $10,000 Upgrade to Epic - W

Weapon MG = $9500 Upgrade to Epic - W or $15,000 upgrade to Weapon Healium

Carbon Weapon 6k owners = $6000(?) Upgrade to Weapon Helium

Carbon Weapon 6K owners with Dragon VV deposit = $0 upgrade to Helium 8K


*updated with Jarred confirmation on Dragon owners
 
I get it.

I get it.

Hey Blair, hope you are well.

I understand that this is mostly about getting cameras to long time Scarlet W deposit holders. Prioritization of those folks seems exactly right to me.

I was "a good lad" and moved to Weapon Mg, and am grateful to have multiple paths, but I've not been waiting as long as the Weapon VV folks.

Seems to me like the priorities ought to be:
1. Scarlet Weapon deposit holders to Epic W

And as much as I'd like to be prioritized next as an Mg holder to go to Helium, it does seem like the CF guys waiting for VV should get priority. I've have my camera, and I didn't pay as much, so Blair I hope that's how its structured:
2. Carbon Weapon VV holders option to get a Weapon Helium with an option to pivot to VV when one is available if they want to. Also new purchasers paying full retail should be in this que as Red needs some actual new customer business to pay for all this crazyness.

I'm hoping that for Weapon Helium -
3. Weapon Mg holders moving to Weapon Helium are next up, and of course the ongoing new purchasers.

After that I just don't much know. Seems like Raven folks who also have been waiting forever and upgrade to Epic W should get some love.

As a RedOne owner who is pretty likely to do the trade in to Epic W, it seems like I should be tail end charlie for Weapon W and I've already gotten a heck of a deal going to Epic M.

I can't wait for the 11th, this is better than Christmas. I hope it works out well for you Blair.


Trying hard not to be a dick, and appreciate that I've had my CF Weapon Dragon 6K in hand for many months. That said, those of us that threw down for Carbon Weapon and pre-paid for an 8K VV sensor in April of 2015 were hoping for some period of time in which we had the "new hotness" and could make back a chunk of our investment renting a limited supply item. As the production of VV Dragons slowed down like the 405 on Friday afternoon, it wasn't too painful since there was still virtually no other 8K game in town. When RED managed to get their next gen sensor ready for prime time sooner than anticipated, the CF/VV folks were told that we would get the 8K Helium sensors to tide us over (or to keep) due to the delays. That was a very generous offer since it would require extra labor costs for RED, well played. Now, with Oct. 11th looming and Epic-Ws stocked up for shipping, the window for full price 8K rentals in a limited supply market is essentially gone.

RED is not responsible for my choices, or my predictions on how the rollout would go. That said, if RED has the capability to get 8K Helium sensors through QC why haven't the VV waiters been notified and allocated? As an owner/operator even a one month jump on the hundreds of 8K cameras about to ship would have helped. I don't want to piss on the love fest, and RED has certainly been most generous in terms of upgrade paths and discounts - just feel like the folks that dug deep at NAB 2015 to be at the front of the line could have at least been given a short window to try and recoup some of that investment.

I understand that RED is trying to make things right, and that no plan could be perfectly fair to every one of the plethora of upgrade paths in play. Just had to get that off my chest.

Cheers - #19
 
Curious, For us that has carbon weapon and paid for the VV upgrade during NAB... what do we do october 11? Should we sit and hit the refresh button on red.com or do we already have a place in the cue for helium?

you can sleep in....
 
I'd be smarter trading in my scarlet MX for $19500 than my Epic Dragon for $14500 correct? Epic Dragons are worth $5k more than a scarlet MX still?
 
I'd be smarter trading in my scarlet MX for $19500 than my Epic Dragon for $14500 correct? Epic Dragons are worth $5k more than a scarlet MX still?

Yeah, that difference is hard to swallow as an Epic Dragon owner but makes a lot of business sense. Both need new bodies and sensors. I'm going to ride my Epic Dragon as long as I can and get a Raven if I need a b-cam. I feel that the Epic Dragon has a lot of good years left... that is... when it comes back from its latest RMA, heh heh.
 
FoolControl + Epic-W , or any DSMC2 camera, is not a nice to have.. it is a must have. thx Mikael for the discount.


1475538698.jpg

I'm assuming that's the 40mm locked to the hood of that Epic-W? I have the 24mm but it might no go over well at that 6.5k res.

Edit: Now I see it...little characters right there in Foolcontrol.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, that difference is hard to swallow as an Epic Dragon owner but makes a lot of business sense. Both need new bodies and sensors. I'm going to ride my Epic Dragon as long as I can and get a Raven if I need a b-cam. I feel that the Epic Dragon has a lot of good years left... that is... when it comes back from its latest RMA, heh heh.

I think I'll join you on that one. Love the Dragon, however I'll aim to buy. weapon Helium off the shelf in 9 months
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top