Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

The Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that, but I think my scarlet will arrive before The october anouncement.

ah I see... quite a dilemma. But the Scarlet - Epic difference has never been $5000 in the past so I would not expect it to be that case now. My guess is Epic-W brain only will be at least $20,000 and I don't think you would be able to get one immediately anyway. Maybe an upgrade only for a while for existing Epic and Epic Dragon owners. Think of the stuff you can shoot with a Scarlet-W until the time comes for buying off the shelf.
 
I'm in the same boat, stoked about my soon to be SW but want a crack at Epic-W. I always told the SW folks that Jered won't let us hang, after all, this is an eerily similar situation we are in now as the Raven'rs when SW was announced. But I can't help but feel like Jared was burned and doesn't want to deal with Epic-W and SW transfers and deal with blow back and backlash again. I'm making some assumptions here but Red works hard to make it right for all of us.
I'm in the same situation here... Been shooting on the Weapon a bit lately and I'm afraid it's spoiling me, so I'm really interested in seeing what Helium brings in October.

Man, now I've got mixed feelings on the possibility of my camera getting allocated in the next month or two... On one hand, Helium announcements might not fit my budget or have other tradeoffs (sensor size, like the S35 Helium for example) so I could end up with the Scarlet-W still being exactly what I want. But I've also been waiting since Dec 10th for this camera, so what's another couple months if the new Helium stuff includes a camera that is a better fit for me? I guess we'll have to see what comes down the pike.

ah I see... quite a dilemma. But the Scarlet - Epic difference has never been $5000 in the past so I would not expect it to be that case now. My guess is Epic-W brain only will be at least $20,000 and I don't think you would be able to get one immediately anyway. Maybe an upgrade only for a while for existing Epic and Epic Dragon owners. Think of the stuff you can shoot with a Scarlet-W until the time comes for buying off the shelf.
Good point on the upgrades. I guess there would be a lot of upgraders who get priority. So similar to the Dragon sensor announcements, it took a long time to trickle out to new purchasers (which would be people like me!) so it still might make the most sense to get "into the fold" on the Scarlet-W soon.
 
Everyone here knows about getting a refund. And personally I think any "upgrade" or price difference from SW to EW is going to be $10k min, probably more. But hey, what a great problem to have. We have options.
 
but getting refund means getting out of line, that's the stupidest move. If you take money out and then you decide you want the new camera, you will be back in the line behind every scarlet switcher and old epic owner.
 
but getting refund means getting out of line, that's the stupidest move. If you take money out and then you decide you want the new camera, you will be back in the line behind every scarlet switcher and old epic owner.

Nobody here wants a refund. However, for some that doesn't really matter anyway, my Red rep convinced me to switch to a dealer in February.
 
You guys know the deposits are refundable right? So.... if something is announced soon and the pricing is enticing enough just ask the funds be moved to the new order. If not be happy with your Scarlet-W's?

I'm pretty sure that I'll be quite happy with my Scarlet-W when it exists, based on the results I'm getting with the Scarlet Dragon that Red loaned me... Plucking gorgeous. And the Latitudes will be shipping soon ad well, hopefully...
 
There is a need for two pixel sizes, to give either higher performance or resolution, and smaller sensors. So Dragon is probably going be upgraded and come out a stop or two ahead at some stage.
 
I'm pretty sure that I'll be quite happy with my Scarlet-W when it exists, based on the results I'm getting with the Scarlet Dragon that Red loaned me... Plucking gorgeous. And the Latitudes will be shipping soon ad well, hopefully...
You're making me regret not jumping on the Dragon loaner offer, I figured it would only be a couple weeks and my FS7 would hold me over!
 
DNA... October... Hmmm... Maybe New Helium Sensor will have eventually more dynamic range, and "The Braves" owners , will get a Recall and ARRI will be like "Huh?" Just stupid speculation while I catch up here reading posts...

LOL
 
DNA... October... Hmmm... Maybe New Helium Sensor will have eventually more dynamic range, and "The Braves" owners , will get a Recall and ARRI will be like "Huh?" Just stupid speculation while I catch up here reading posts...

LOL
My thinking is the "DNA" part for the new Epic-W is that it's going to be the new $24k replacement (like the previous "Epic" models), and won't be 8k, but maybe 6-7k. The 8K did have a 59k price tag for the limited edition. (Obviously higher than retail release, but still thinking the 8k will have a premium, for the 'higher end' "Weapon" cameras, so DNA meaning the same tech, but not the "full cut")
 
You're making me regret not jumping on the Dragon loaner offer, I figured it would only be a couple weeks and my FS7 would hold me over!

If I'd known, I'd have jumped on it earlier... it's kind of shocking to go from a 12 stop sensor to a 16 stop sensor, especially outdoors. I've gotten really used to needing to be paranoid about clipping, and suddenly almost never clip in similar circumstances. It's quite nice. I'm no longer using a matte box + vari-ND to control exposure, so now I'm free to use it to give me depth of field control. Life got a lot easier. :)

The way my loaner is configured is clunky (no touch screen, just one magazine), but it's working out nicely. And it's a DSMC1... limited to 8:1 in 5K, but still everyone who's getting the footage is quite happy with it.
 
I agree... I just like to speculate crazy things.... Since RED with Jarred and Brent, are always raising the bar... heheheheh


Hopefully that path from Weapon MG to Epic W won't be a bank breaker, assuming that it would be similar Level of camera but different/better Helium sensor.
 
I agree... I just like to speculate crazy things.... Since RED with Jarred and Brent, are always raising the bar... heheheheh


Hopefully that path from Weapon MG to Epic W won't be a bank breaker, assuming that it would be similar Level of camera but different/better Helium sensor.

My guess would be Epic W is below MG. The biggest gap is between the SW and MG right now. $20k Epic-W???
 
The Helium 8K is practically the size of Dragon 6K

Thanks Daniel, also just came accross Phill Holland's excellent tools and the Format Key he newly developed and it really cleared all my doubts concerning size and crop factor vs the other Red sensors.

Great tools from Phil Holland, much appreciated! http://www.phfx.com/tools/

EDIT. So basically from 6K 1.17 we go a bit narrower do 1.20, but should be barely noticeable. From Epic MX to Dragon, which was 1.3x to 1.17, it was quite perceivable, the difference.

Also interesting is Frame rates seem equal for VV Dragon vs Helium. They are also equal when compared to Dragon 6K (in equivalent resolutions) which is great news!

8K VV vs S35, DOF and pending low light tests aside, becomes much more an aesthetic choice!.
 
So as I see it, the Dragon and Helium are pretty close specs. It's just that Helium is faster and/or easier to produce than Dragon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top