Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

SmallHD AC7 vs DP7 for Focus Pulling

Manfred Lopez

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2007
Messages
992
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Mexico
Website
www.registrodeactores.com
I'm looking to get one of these two monitors primarily for focus pulling. The specs say that the AC-7 has Focus Assist Plus, Focus Assist Max, and Focus in Red. The DP-7 only says Focus Assist (Intensity Adjustment, Highlight Color Select, Color/B&W Background). Does this mean the AC-7's focus features are better? My previous monitor was the Panasonic BT-LH80W which had an awesome Focus-in-Red feature. If the DP-7 doesn't have this then it would be a major negative for me. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
 
My two cents worth.

If you are buying a monitor to pull focus only, other features not a priority and it's between the AC-7 and Dp-7. Check out the AC-7.

The DP7 Pro has a "more Advance" version of "Focus-in-Red Focus" assist feature where you can change the colours from black, red, green, white and blue. Intensity of the colours can be selected from a scale of 1 to 20. Peaking can be changed from a scale of 1-16.

I have owned the Panasonic BT-LH80W before as well, I find the Smallhd panels sharper and features better to pull focus with.

I do not have the AC-7 but own the DP4,DP6 and DP7 Pro Oled. I still pull focus with the DP6 for tvcs and movies.

Hope this helps you.
 
My two cents worth.
The DP7 Pro has a "more Advance" version of "Focus-in-Red Focus" assist feature where you can change the colours from black, red, green, white and blue. Intensity of the colours can be selected from a scale of 1 to 20. Peaking can be changed from a scale of 1-16.

Thank you very much, Dean. This helps a lot. This actually completely reverses what I thought. I was under the impression that since the AC-7 was for "AC's", they accordingly loaded up on focus features on that model. They sneakily mention them as three separate tools. But if the DP-7 has a better overall tool for focus then all these 3 other ones then that's definitely the way to go. I think it's worth it for the build quality difference alone. Now the next decision will be wether to get the OLED one. But I already saw what choice you made on that front. I just hope it's bright enough.
 
i also use a dp7 for focus, always on Focus in Red mode. i'm not a fan of the OLED version, i returned it for the normal SDI version. LOVE IT! i now have 3 of them.
 
For color / contrast accuracy you can't beat the OLED but they do lack the brightness of the LED.
 
You would need a hood for outdoor use, watch out for the screen protector as well. They do flare and reflect at certain angles. Unless you are willing to fork out extra cash for the sun bright version. (1500 nits)

I too, prefer to pull focus with the lcd version, to my eyes the images are a bit shaper compared to the oled version.
 
I own an AC-7, and have used the DP-7 OLED and High Bright. For focus pulling, I love the AC-7. I would only really consider the DP-7 if you really want/need the extra features - SDI/HDMI cross conversion (a big one for many people), LUT support (if you're getting sent a log signal often), and other software features. I've never really found myself really wanting any more control over the existing focus assist features. Focus Plus is often enough on its own, and when I can, using 1:1 mapping from a 1080p feed is a nice little boost. I only very occasionally dip into the Focus Plus Max.

I would definitely avoid the OLED for focus pulling, unless you're always in a dark studio. I have problems even seeing the LCD versions outside, or even in sunlit rooms. The High Bright is magical, though. If I had the money to burn on that over the AC-7, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Direct sunlight, no hood, still perfectly visible.
 
Thank you for the responses. It sounds like it will have to be a careful choice. For a brief moment I was also considering the High Bright version. But at a $1,000 extra it does give me pause. It basically would take money away from other gear we are also planning on getting. I wish I could actually see the different models in person before buying, but unfortunately that is not practical at the moment. That's why I love hearing about all your real-life experiences with these various models. Much appreciated.
 
Last month we rigged up a helmet cam with a Paralinx Arrow for wireless transmission. This helmet cam is being used exclusively for outdoor shooting.

The main reasons we decided to land on the smallhd DP7-PRO High Bright monitor were the focus features, the fact that we don't need a hood in outdoor environments, like ever, and the X-Port (not on the AC-7) and its Wireless X-Port Dock for Paralinx. Did we pay more? Sure, but well worth it for our purposes.

I agree if you ONLY INTENT to pull focus, an AC-7 will suffice. But if you ever need the X-PORT features, the more granular focus pulling features of the DP7 line, and or the outdoor capability of the high-bright you'll need to buy again.
 
Love this.

The High Bright is magical, though. If I had the money to burn on that over the AC-7, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Direct sunlight, no hood, still perfectly visible.

and this

The main reasons we decided to land on the smallhd DP7-PRO High Bright monitor were the focus features, the fact that we don't need a hood in outdoor environments, like ever, and the X-Port (not on the AC-7) and its Wireless X-Port Dock for Paralinx. Did we pay more? Sure, but well worth it for our purposes.
 
Back
Top