Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

RIP Redmote

Well everything in life can be innovated further and refined... arguably red has made all cutting edge camera makers innovate further and whether we want to base this years generation to previous or five years down from now things will always improve. Or at least that's what one hopes? It's funny in life how things that once mattered to me so much can be cast aside for new better alternatives and I yearn for the past technological achievements (or personal for that matter) but nothing can stop progress, new revenue, new innovation, etc. I'm sure the 65mm red in two years will be my new obsession, at least until they make it high speed five years later? Change is constant I have to embrace it and roll with it, whether it's a gf leaving you over one too many crew calls or my old redmag reader, I'll always have the memories? Jesus did I really just type that?
 
When I first got mine with my Epic-X, it was beyond terrible. Random drop outs even if you were standing 2ft away from the camera. The upgraded antenna on the Epic helped some, but I would still get random drop outs. Heck, I used it just a few weeks ago while running my camera off an EasyRig and even though the redmote would stay in the pocket on the easyrig vest, it still lost connection and had to be restarted a couple of times. Not sure what the wireless interface was, but it was never very robust for me.
 
Mine always stays with my Scarlet, lots of Buttons, Extra-Display and believe it or not, i never had any serious problems with it in remote mode. Since day one, even with early firmware-builds.

This tool is great, totally underrated IMHO. I'm sad that the PRO-version never hitted the store.

Will miss it when i switch to DSMC2, because as much as i like foolcontrol and all, an iphone doesn't have physical buttons. You know, the stuff your fingers will find even without looking at a display. ;)

Here s some hope that RED hasn't given up on the REDMOTE-concept. To me it's a bit like the Side-Handle, essential for my camera and not fully replaceable with touch-screens.
 
My experience with the RedMote put me clawing for Weapon and FoolControl. I dreaded working with the RedMote, it constantly lost connection even being 6 inch from the body and would even freak out when it was hard connected to the back of the camera. Total embarrassment on set with a lot of time wasted trying to get control of the camera.

Weapon is amazing, I just hope the WiFi doesn't cause issues with other 2.4Ghz streams being used.
 
wired REDMote on WEAPON...

12751113_1292311754129014_1597144425_n.jpg




check John Ellerbrock's DEEP WEAPON at Gates Underwater Housings for more info...

http://www.gateshousings.com/gates-news/deep-weapon-update/


REDMOTE-WEAPON-2.jpg



Is there special hardware or software required or simply some kind of connector from the pogo pins to the control (s232?) port on weapon/Scarlet-W?

I would actually like a wired solution as well, (maybe even for topside) since I have a redmote (and a waterproof case already made) and redmotes are going to be pretty cheap on used market.


Ok, didn't see at first but looks like you have a circuit board interface - is that something you (Mikael) make or is it made by Gates.?
 
Is there special hardware or software required or simply some kind of connector from the pogo pins to the control (s232?) port on weapon/Scarlet-W?
I would actually like a wired solution as well, (maybe even for topside) since I have a redmote (and a waterproof case already made) and redmotes are going to be pretty cheap on used market.
Ok, didn't see at first but looks like you have a circuit board interface - is that something you (Mikael) make or is it made by Gates.?

I just helped Gates make it work...
no idea if they would sell this solution by itself for topside but you should ask them... who knows :-)
 
Good riddance to the redmote! Mine never worked. Went through the antenna upgrade, then sent my redmote in. Still never worked reliably. I've never spoken to anyone who had a reliable redmote experience. But i guess they do exist after all....
 
Mine always worked without a problem. Extremely useful for speeding things up during lens or camera tests.
 
Back
Top