Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Red Weapon 6K covers Canon K35 lenses?

I saw once my 18mm T1.5 on the projector and it covered beyond Super 35mm, but it didn't cover Full Frame 35. The 18mm T2.8, which was the first version, covers safely Academy 35, maybe Super 35mm (5K or 5K HD on Dragon).
From 24mm to 85mm all K35s cover Full Frame from what I saw projected (if my memory isn't wrong).
 
Phil's site says they don't cover totally: http://phfx.com/tools/lensData/lensData.cgi?lensSet=Canon:K-35+Primes&REDsensorTech=DragonS35

Is he going off measured/tested results or going by manufacturer image circle specification?

I physically test every lens on the camera.

phfx_probstRedCFDragon_0005.jpg
 
Thanks Phil for chiming in!

Why some descibe the K35 as having full frame coverage from 24 on up?

So not even 6K WS coverage??? (except the 18 I mean...)
 
thats strange, Ive seen them tested by a famous cinematographer who posts on here a lot and OWNS multiple K35 sets who Ive had personal conversations with before about this and I have actually USED one of his sets he sold. I can tell you they DO Cover full frame except the 18mm. heres what he said about the 18mm "the 18mm is really 24 with a front end zoom through converter built on by canon". TLS is woking to fix that on their rehouses .
so 24mm and up should be good .

perhaps the set Phil tested were modified in some way with a mask or something built on to the lens thats not part of the original construction . Most k35s i've seen DO cover large sensors .

But I do find it odd on phill test because my self I have shot with them and didn't see any vignette on RED weapon dragon . I have also shot them on an alexa mini In 4:3 mode where the sensor is taller then the red sensor and i saw no vignette whats so ever .
 
thats strange, Ive seen them tested by a famous cinematographer who posts on here a lot and OWNS multiple K35 sets who Ive had personal conversations with before about this and I have actually USED one of his sets he sold. I can tell you they DO Cover full frame except the 18mm. heres what he said about the 18mm "the 18mm is really 24 with a front end zoom through converter built on by canon". TLS is woking to fix that on their rehouses .
so 24mm and up should be good .

perhaps the set Phil tested were modified in some way with a mask or something built on to the lens thats not part of the original construction . Most k35s i've seen DO cover large sensors .

But I do find it odd on phill test because my self I have shot with them and didn't see any vignette on RED weapon dragon . I have also shot them on an alexa mini In 4:3 mode where the sensor is taller then the red sensor and i saw no vignette whats so ever .

Possible. Possible my notes are jumbled up too. I seem to recall 6K coverage on Dragon vaguely, though I think the 18 did not cover 6K FF. I'll go to the notes shortly. Working on other things today. I have images from them on a drive somewhere if the chaos is really deep on this one.
 
Maybe ask if they have modified the lens or maybe they don't know maybe who ever they bought them from had modified them long ago. Like I said Ive tested and they cover and also some one with multiple sets like a lot of sets has personally told me they cover . I'd just like to say that you may be 100 percent correct on your test and your images will show as such, but it may be just something that was localized to the lens set you tested. those look like camtec's lenses
 
Covering is one thing, but. When I had my set, the 35mm was so soft in the corners wide open you couldn't do a 50/50 2 shot because no one would ever be sharp. Was fine around a 2.8.

Nick
 
Covering is one thing, but. When I had my set, the 35mm was so soft in the corners wide open you couldn't do a 50/50 2 shot because no one would ever be sharp. Was fine around a 2.8.

Nick

well those are vintage lenses for you. Almost all anamorphics have blur on the edges but no one would say they don't cover the area. Also with K35s it depends on who they were serviced by because I have seen them pretty sharp wide open on the corners .


Hers a video of all the K35's being shot at 6K and they seem pretty sharp on the sides

https://vimeo.com/179931605
 
Possible. Possible my notes are jumbled up too. I seem to recall 6K coverage on Dragon vaguely, though I think the 18 did not cover 6K FF. I'll go to the notes shortly. Working on other things today. I have images from them on a drive somewhere if the chaos is really deep on this one.

I remembered them being like that, so the 18mm leaves dark corners and then next one up was soft in the corners. But ours where BNC-Rs and I had a BNC mount on so not sure if that made any difference.
 
I remembered them being like that, so the 18mm leaves dark corners and then next one up was soft in the corners. But ours where BNC-Rs and I had a BNC mount on so not sure if that made any difference.



Look at the test below in a non test chart test they look pretty amazing and very sharp on the edges . I do see some darkening on the corners when they put the models face on the side but some times thats just the appeal of the lenses . But from watching the video I would say they are sharp and cover the 6k format easily .

https://vimeo.com/179931605


k35.jpg
 
Look at the test below

I'll dig up my notes and all that, but that was shot at 6K HD on Dragon 6K from what I can tell, and that is more or less 5.5K FF in some ways :)

I'm pretty sure the 35 and up handled 6K FF on 6K Dragon. Just can't remember because it's been forever and a few hundred lenses since.
 
thats strange, Ive seen them tested by a famous cinematographer who posts on here a lot and OWNS multiple K35 sets who Ive had personal conversations with before about this and I have actually USED one of his sets he sold. I can tell you they DO Cover full frame except the 18mm. heres what he said about the 18mm "the 18mm is really 24 with a front end zoom through converter built on by canon". TLS is woking to fix that on their rehouses .
so 24mm and up should be good .

perhaps the set Phil tested were modified in some way with a mask or something built on to the lens thats not part of the original construction . Most k35s i've seen DO cover large sensors .

But I do find it odd on phill test because my self I have shot with them and didn't see any vignette on RED weapon dragon . I have also shot them on an alexa mini In 4:3 mode where the sensor is taller then the red sensor and i saw no vignette whats so ever .

Yes, I'm the guilty party in this quote...

A bit of perspective. The 24-85mm lenses are based of Canon's designs for full frame lenses. So yes, they quite possibly COULD cover full frame. That being said, the K35 lenses were produced in an era when all they were TRYING to cover was academy 35mm. So WILL they all cover 6K and beyond? Maybe and probably NO. The 18mm IS a 24mm with a multi-element aspheric wide angle adapter added to the front, and even though the 24mm is a full frame optical lens design, the addition of the adapter in to the 18mm's housing design does limit the coverage of that lens far less than full frame. That limitation is a function of the front ring of the lens housing physically blocking the angle of view the lens is capable of and port-holing the lens. I have yet to test the TLS rehousing of that lens (hopefully soon) to see how much they were able to open up this limitation...
 
Back
Top