Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Red #88 For Sale - Portland, OR

It's going to be kinda fascinating to see what it goes for. Looks like you'll end up with a profit before it's done.

Some of this stuff like the Nikon mount and Quickplate haven't actually shipped yet have they?
 
hey jeff, what will you give me for my titanium R...i'd sell that way before i'd sell my camera....it would be interesting to know what a titanium R is worth, if anything.

dan, have you made any inquiries with RED about selling this camera to an existing reservation holder? i mean, they should already have a password and access to everything that would be potential stoppers to a non-reservation holder. i think it would be worth having that conversation with them. as a potential buyer, i would not want to be tethered to you for a year--nothing personal, but if i could already do all the upgrades and updates myself, as well as getting repairs done, without that dependency, that makes it more interesting.
 
One question Dan - If the buyer wants to purchase and arrange collection through FEDEX or whatever - is this acceptable? Thanks a million, James - further - are you still interested in taking the res of a later holder (about 1200- March or so delivery) as part trade for the deal? Thx.
 
Some of this stuff like the Nikon mount and Quickplate haven't actually shipped yet have they?

Can somebody please confirm if they have either of these? If they haven't shipped yet, we'll deduct the retail price of these items from the total, and you'll get (and pay for) them when they come in (or we can cancel if you don't need them). I'll report back when the buyer and I find out.

dan, have you made any inquiries with RED about selling this camera to an existing reservation holder? i mean, they should already have a password and access to everything that would be potential stoppers to a non-reservation holder. i think it would be worth having that conversation with them. as a potential buyer, i would not want to be tethered to you for a year--nothing personal, but if i could already do all the upgrades and updates myself, as well as getting repairs done, without that dependency, that makes it more interesting.

I only sent Red an email about the cost for a one-year, pre-certified warranty on Friday morning as I mentioned in #71, but haven't heard back. But no, I haven't asked about what you're suggesting.

I totally understand where you're coming from, and buying from me, the extreme ends of the spectrum are: 1) Red doesn't care at all, and you do everything directly through them, and 2) Red will be strict about it and insist everything comes to/from my address. And the reality will probably be somewhere in the middle.

Say you live in LA, you need a repair, you contact me. I contact Red and say, "hey, I've rented my Red out in LA, and it's got a problem", they say, "send it in". You do, they send it back to you, but maybe under my name. End of story. Unless I die in the next year, it should be easy (feel free to take a life insurance policy out on me). Would they insist it goes up from LA to Portland before being sent back down to southern Cal? Why?

And since it's kind of related, I would be very, very surprised if the policy with non-transferable warranties wasn't changed within a year.

One question Dan - If the buyer wants to purchase and arrange collection through FEDEX or whatever - is this acceptable?

Sorry, when you say arrange collection, you mean you will arrange FedEx to pick up on your account? Then yes, I'll ship if you're in the US/Canada. The only thing is, you'd have to pay everything up front by a wire transfer. And I'd need to open the contents to make sure everything's in there, just because Red may have legitimately forgotten to pack something, and if the buyer opened it and complained, I'd have no idea. That's why I recommend the Shawn Nelson route if I ship.

further - are you still interested in taking the res of a later holder (about 1200- March or so delivery) as part trade for the deal? Thx.

No. I had created a value-equivalent chart for reservations when considering offers privately last week, but it was kind of weird since I actually don't want a reservation before 1080 (too early) and consequently valued it less than a reservation made in January or during NAB 07. I've since given up on it and will just make my own reservation in a few days. But shoot me an email if you're still interested, who knows.

What happens if the buyer needs to make a support call and your on the beach or un reachable?

What can I say, I'll work with the buyer in every capacity possible (contact numbers/emails of myself and family), but the bottom line is, if you can't reach me (unlikely), then call Red and explain that you are the rentee and cannot get hold of the renter, and you've got a critical support issue. I suspect Red will support their camera. If you have a solution to your question that I haven't proposed, let me know.
 
All right, I did just get an email from Red. I won't paste the contents because of something on the bottom about confidential information, but this is the gist of it:

* The Re-Certified Warranty cost is still being determined

* It is at Red's discretion to offer a Re-Certified Warranty

* A Re-Certified Warranty is good for 90 days, as stated in their terms. In their email, they've said it is not possible to extend this Re-Certified Warranty for a year (4x the length), because after 90 days, the Red is only eligible for out-of-warranty repair.

However, it would be interesting to see what happens if the second-hand buyer then decided to sell it to a third-hand buyer, and whether Red would deny a Re-Certified Warranty simply because more than two people have owned it. I.e., I'm the second-hand buyer, Red refuses to give me a Re-Certified Warranty beyond 90 days even though the camera is working fine, so could I sell it to someone to make it "eligible" again?

Red's own terms are constantly evolving, and I think if we work on the principle that Red will support their product for a year, we'll be ok. And although I'm posting this information, I don't think this is the way to go about it. I'm assuming the winner will also not choose this route; however, it's their choice.
 
But you mentioned that earlier, and I really wonder - is that a deal-breaker for a lot of people? I figured those who desperately want Reds now value it as a production tool, and while it would be nice to have, the medallion is ultimately just a piece of metal. If you were such a fanboy that you wanted it, you would've put in your pre-1080 reservation when they were open. Anyway, that's all my justification for keeping it, so it doesn't really matter whether it's right or wrong :tongue:

Hey, just figured I'd ask... :)

I doubt the lack of the R would be a deal breaker to people, but I'm sure throwing it in could raise your resale value by $1K or more. Seriously, some people want the whole package that goes with these early serial numbers.

Anyway, looks like your auction is going well. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I threw in an early bid and planned to come back closer to the end, but it looks like it's going to sell for a lot more than I can justify with mine due to ship in another month or two.. :greedy: :w00t:
 
hey jeff, what will you give me for my titanium R...i'd sell that way before i'd sell my camera....it would be interesting to know what a titanium R is worth, if anything.

How about $50. I'll even stop by and pick it up. :biggrin:
 
For some of you who are new to eBay... here's a helpful hint from someone who's gotten into a lot of comic book auctions:

Auction snipers (people who bid at the last moments of auction) are frequently active on eBay. They use automated programs that bid quickly during the last few seconds of auction, making lots of tiny incremental bids until they move past any existing bids. The automated programs won't give you time enough to counter-bid. The only chance to beat the sniper program is to put in the maximum amount you would pay for the auction item (you still may not out-bid the sniper, but you would have given it your best shot without spending more than you regret). Snipers can lose because their software is set to quit at a certain value (the sniper's maximum bid), and sometimes the sniping software can't send bids fast enough to reach the top (when the server bogs down). But, generally speaking, if you try to win the auction by nudging up your bid price in small increments then you will probably lose the auction to a sniper. It's fine to nudge the bid higher by tiny increments, if you just want to see what other people are bidding, but the last few seconds of the auction is where all the real action takes place and nudging will no longer be effective... before the last moments of auction put in the full amount you're willing to pay, otherwise plan on losing the auction.
 
Dan - given that the board and mount are currently due an upgrade - Is it possible to send them to red before taking possession of the camera? Thanks. J.


EDIT - sorry scratch that - saw answer in an earlier post - apols.
 
How about $50. I'll even stop by and pick it up. :biggrin:

50 bucks?? that's it? the way you were carrying on about it, i was expecting much more!!

guess i'll hang onto it a bit longer.

unless you have something good to trade!
 
50 bucks?? that's it? the way you were carrying on about it, i was expecting much more!!

Yeah, much more than that and I could just make my own. Sure, it would be a replica, but no one would ever know unless they referenced serial #'s. :ninja:
 
Just watching how people are bumping the bid on this thing... Hehe, ebay noobs. It's hard to say where it's going to end up. Oh well, it's working in DanK's favor. Go Dan! Go! :)
 
Didn't RED value the titanium "R" at $500?

I think that $50 offer was intended as a joke. Or maybe not, sometimes it's hard to tell because you can't hear vocal inflections in posts.
 
Didn't RED value the titanium "R" at $500?

Possibly... It's hard to say for sure what it would be unless I took the time to get a quote for making 1000 of them or so. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were all individually made in-house, so that accounts for something too.

Yes, the $50, was somewhat of a joke. I'd actually pay more if I could have an official R that matches my camera. But to just buy someone else's seems a bit silly. I originally asked DanK what it would take for him to sell it, just because I was curious. I understand why he's keeping it, I'd do the same. But if his answer was something like $1500 in addition to the final selling price, then who knows, maybe the camera buyer would take him up on that.
 
Back
Top