Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

ProRes Spanning

Not to be trite but just lob them all in a sequence and then nest the sequence, problem solved in 2 seconds.

so you're going to ask an editor to do this with hundreds of takes? and have you tested this method to reconform cam original r3d files after offline edit?
 
Would be great to test on DNXHD with new firmware and Avid as well. Maybe that would be version 2...?

I don't think there is a need. The MXF files generated by the camera properly link to each other and are seen as a single clip within Media Composer (when using the latest version of Media Composer and (soon to be updated) RED R3D AMA plugin).
 
ugh. I needed this, like, yesterday. I just shot a 2-day, yes two days...., interview with a famous climber, and the editors don't like all the spanned Pro Res clips.

I may have to re-transcode the footage, but a utility like this would save me the trouble....
 
I've done post on lots of camera formats I don't think the spanning is an issue since all fat32 formats do it. It's not like reds the only one that spans. Typically you just hit import on the first piece and the whole clip goes into your NLE. Does the hierarchy suck to go through and click one by one? Sure but that's why they pay me to do it. If anything reds never been easier now to use since you can dual record. For the record all formats have quirks. But I think this problem isn't so bad when you use finder to target the mxf or mov files. I hate when people shoot mxf with eight audio tracks due to the non self contained files but it is what it is and you learn the media tool quickly in avid to figure out how to manage them
 
Is it a real pain to use prores if you are just handing over the material after the shoot then?
Guess producers won't be to happy to deal with this scenario.
Im asking as I often just hand over the footage at the end of the day.
I will use Mikael's solution for projects I'm more involved in at the post end for now. Love all his stuff
 
Did a quick test, and the current version of Premiere CC does not detect the spanned clips as one. Instead you get a pile of multiple mov files.

This is something I'd like to see Adobe, and other NLEs handle on their end. CC should recognize the RED folder structure, and automatically compile the spanned clips in the Media Browser.

I'm hoping this is part of the next CC update, along with the 8K R3D support. Until then, long takes are going to be annoying in ProRes. You'll need to use other software, as suggested, to merge the spanned clips.
 
Avid MC handles the spanning of clips beautifully. I would suggest doing DNXHR HQ or above.. LB isn't too good for clients to see, it's got some noticable blockiness. not sure about SQ.. Prores LT and above seems to be okay.

I still wish spanning clips was a functionality of Redcine X.
 
I installed the latest version of Premiere two days ago and there is still no native support forn Helium 8K, and the prores spanning problem still exists (at least in 422 HQ). Calling all members on this forum who have clout with Adobe, can we please get Adobe to address these issues.
 
Following up here. I felt like I saw that with this release they had solved the ProRes clip spanning issue. I shot proxies in-camera and attached them for use in my edit. Looking like I may have to transcode for my longer interview setups. Does PrCC handle this now and perhaps I've missed something?

EDIT: Working on a project now and basically what it looks like is that PR does not deal with ProRes spanning at the moment. I shot mixed 5/6/7k footage and recorded 1080p ProRes LT proxies side-by-side. Upon ingest, it looks like the spanning hits around the 7min mark. I sorted clips by length and just re-transcoded any over 7min in length. Definitely not ideal, but not horrible either since the majority of my clips are below 3min anyway.
 
Last edited:
This should go away when they revise the file system on the mags. I'm guessing it'll be exfat.

I really hope this happens - our post team would be very happy to have this as an option for our prores only workflow.
 
Back
Top