Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

New Mac Pro

Do any of you know if there will be an update to new Mac Pros later this year? (like processor update etc.. usual annual change)
I am not sure if I should wait until next year for the new Xeon line up..

Probably just a CPU bump. I wouldn't expect any major hardware changes until 2016, which is the earliest a "next generation" upgrade could happen with new Thunderbolt/DisplayPort and HDMI upgrades, Nvidia Pascal GPU options, and a new "core" for the NMP with Intel's latest and greatest Xeon CPU (maybe even with integrated graphics as an option) running with high-density DDR4 and 4TB SSD options.
 
I would not expect any changes until the new Xeon E5-V3 chips arrive. That will be at the very end of this year or sometime Q1 next year. If Intel holds to their anticipated schedule from IDC...

Until then, there won't be any new CPUs to upgrade to, that's a known quantity. I know it's difficult to guess what Apple may do, but I'm betting they don't refresh GPUs or other components until then.

Jeff, sorry for the late reply, I didn't see this. I'm running the full version.
 
Update on the Resolve thing. Seems to be working fine here, but I"m not stressing it too much. No crashes or any serious weirdness with a bunch of R3D files shuffling together and loading a couple of my older projects.

OTOH, BMD is saying they have identified some OpenCL issues with Resolve on OSX 10.9.3 and recommend users stay with 10.9.2 for the time being. Hmmm… OK, most of us would usually follow that advice, but I think this time around there's a huge draw to 10.9.3 because '9.1 and '9.2 were glitchy and now we have reasonable 4K display support. Hope BMD gets this sorted ASAP.

Too bad they couldn't have given us a heads up about 10.9.3, or worked out their issues before its release. It's not like Apple didn't send out beta seeds every 7 to 10 days for the last two months…
 
I've seen two kernel panics related to DropBox, and there are others who have experienced similar issues since upgrading to 10.9.3. I can't remember the last time I had a kernel panic, and now I've had two in the past 48hrs.
 
i am also staring to think that 10.9.3 might be the issue....i had a kernel panic as well and i don't even remember the last one either.....
the 10.9.3 betas had some sleep issues and somehow it looks like those have not gone away completely of me.....
not sure but maybe there is a memory problem going on? i had fcpx crash on me as well now as well as out of memory errors (the force quit menu pops up? i have never even seen that happening?).....strange....
 
I've had one kernel panic and another graphics issue where the whole screen turned into some mess from a 90's hacker movie. Not thrilled. Just updated dropbox to 2.8.0 to see if that'll help.

But I think it's a combo of Adobe's software and 10.9.3. Resolve has been fine. But CC has been a turd.
 
Actually a LOT of folks are having huge issues with CC under 10.9.3

In fact so much so I'd say if you haven't upgraded already...DO NOT UPGRADE. Premiere renders are almost unpossible.
 
Premiere seems to be working the same under 10.9.3 for me as it did under 10.9.2. Or maybe I'm just remembering it that way since I've been using the beta seeds of 10.9.3 for some time now. Premiere is just kinda buggy under 10.9 and on the nMP in general. It was totally unusable on the nMP when it was first delivered and we had one minor update to address some of that. Still waiting for the big update Adobe has been talking about since NAB.

I don't know if I'd tell people to not upgrade to 10.9.3. But it's something one should always do after making proper backups. Always is when you upgrade the OS, so you can roll-back. I think 10.9.3 warrants a good look by everyone on the nMP as it does fix a lot of problems. OTOH, if it kills off an important app for you, there's not much that can be done other than rolling back.
 
10.9.3 is causing all kinds of video playback (GPU/OpenCL) related issues on my nMP 8 Core. Footage won't playback, full on system hangs when you try, garbled video etc.. Seems to persist in PPCS6 & Resolve 10.1.4/5. Like a donkey, I thought I had a time machine on this system - I did not. I suggest not upgrading unless you have a backup to roll back to or have free time in your production schedule.
 
Sorry, Jeff, but it's looking like there's a serious bug going on here. I got Premiere to work but I have to disable OpenCL completely, and use software rendering only. Otherwise the computer would hard lock.

Really upset at myself for upgrading this close to a project launching. What should have been 2-3 hours of work has turned into an all day affair. If you google '10.9.3 adobe cc' there seems to be a lot of users having said issues.
 
You might need to update iTunes as well...from Larry Jordan:

Last Friday, Apple updated OS X to version 10.9.3. After installing the update, some users lost access to their User folder. This causes complete havoc with Final Cut Pro X, as well as a variety of other applications.

The next day, Saturday, Apple released an update to iTunes which fixes this problem.

If you updated on Friday, be SURE to update iTunes. If you update anytime after Saturday, both iTunes and OS X will be updated at the same time and everything should be fine.
 
I always clone my drive before an OSX update. It's a long-standing habit, so like second nature. And I've also seen Time Machine fail or not allow me to roll-back the OS.

CS6 doesn't work worth a crap on the new Mac Pro. Period. At least it never has for me. I don't have it installed on my 8-core anymore, only reason I installed it initially was for testing as I use CC. Never put it on my second (now 10-core) nMP.

I'm having issues with Resolve after some more testing. Some of my nodes just fail to produce or pass thru an image and I've had the system hang a couple times, Resolve quit a couple times. I was not having this happen under the later 10.9.3 beta seeds. There is something that was changed for the release version, which is an entirely new seed than what was distributed a week ago. Somewhat uncharacteristic of Apple to release that way. They typically circulate a release seed for a week or so before sending out to everyone. I'm wondering if they were trying to push ahead of WWDC...

Premiere. Still no more or less flakey than it has been for me, which means it's pretty darn flakey. I'm still waiting for that update from Adobe.

FCPX seems really happy under 10.9.3, so does pretty much everything else I'm running.

The iTunes /User folder patch is critical. Once again another problem that occurred with this release distribution different than the prior beta seeds. You have to do this, even if you don't use iTunes on this system.
 
I feel like Sam Jackson in Jurassic Park, "Item one fifty-one on today's glitch list. We've got all the problems of a major theme park and a major zoo, and the computer's not even on its feet yet."

Now my RAID refuses to go to sleep when the computer does. Yep, this is the first OS rev that's really ruined my day.
 
not sure about this either.....
i can't really tell because i have been running the 10.9.3 betas for a while now, but the release version seems different....i guess they had to release another upgrade on saturday (something affecting the user folder, which is scary as s..t) and now i don't have any more crashes at least....

Isaac: since i always have something (render, backups,...) running anyway, i have the "put HD to sleep when possible" unchecked....i believe the HDs spin down anyway....
 
I've been working on my 8-core all morning. This release distribution of 10.9.3 is really crappy. It's nothing like the last two beta seeds we had. WTF Apple???

Tons of things that were fixed in the last few 10.9.3 beta seeds are now broken again, sometimes worse than 10.9.2. OpenCL is F'd up. Not sure what we have going on.

So yeah, if you haven't upgraded already, don't. I'm rolling back to the previous beta seed. Because it was pretty darn good. :-/

It's almost like Apple released the first beta seed or as the release or something.
 
See, told you I wasn't tripping balls.

Paul, I never let my externals spin down, so trust me that's not the conflict. It's that the ARECA which was a champ prior to this update now refuses to cycle down when I sleep the machine.

Again disabling OpenCL in premiere and to some extent in Resolve helps minimize the issue. I was getting renders in Premiere that would absolutely hard lock the machine, or if I was lucky would create weird artifacts in the renders that would make Max Headroom feel at home. Pretty frustrating.

I've never had an OS Update bork as many things system wide as this one has. Mainly because you guys seemed so enthusiastic about the beta seeds. But I stand behind my recommendation is don't upgrade if you're on 10.9.2. I'll either have to do a fresh install or hope they issue a patch ASAP. Thankfully we delivered our project today, after about 10x the extra amount of work dealing with exports. And no upcoming projects till early june.
 
Installed 10.9.3 Friday with a big smile on my face thinking it would sort various issues I was having on '9.2, particularly with multiple displays being handled differently by different applications interfacing with the OSX drivers.

Now I read this thread, and based on Jeff, Isaac and Paul's notes, I'm really wishing I hadn't. WTF Apple? It sure felt like the right amount of time and beta seeds for a solid release. Any chance the complications are tied to the groundwork for an expanded iTunes environment capable of navigating the traditional content sources and OTT offerings seamlessly?

Cheers - #19
 
Jeff -- Indeed, all is not well.

My current 'litmus test' for a system is to try to successfully doing the 'Duplicate the Technicolor look in Resolve'
http://www.mynahmedia.com/2013/01/3-strip-technicolor-look-in-davinci-resolve/

If my 8-core + D700s + 10.9.X + Resolve 10.1.X can do the above Technicolor work flow, then the system is probably fairly robust.

Currently (10.9.3 released + 10.1.5), I can lock up the nMP so completely that I have to pull the power plug.

"Pioneers are the ones with the arrows in their backs ..."

Just an FYI ...

Serge

I've been working on my 8-core all morning. This release distribution of 10.9.3 is really crappy. It's nothing like the last two beta seeds we had. WTF Apple???

Tons of things that were fixed in the last few 10.9.3 beta seeds are now broken again, sometimes worse than 10.9.2. OpenCL is F'd up. Not sure what we have going on.

So yeah, if you haven't upgraded already, don't. I'm rolling back to the previous beta seed. Because it was pretty darn good. :-/

It's almost like Apple released the first beta seed or as the release or something.
 
Ugh, yep all is not well here. I'm going to give it a 7 days as I'm on a shoot this week, but if things are resolved I will have to roll back.

What a pooch screw.
 
Back
Top