Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

New Mac Pro

Do you have the 277 already? How is it? I considered the 276 but even eizo told me to wait for the 277 as they said it was better all around. Which to me was shocking to have a company actually tell me to wait on a purchase.


My bad got to quick on the reply.

Its only the 276.

Now we wait :)
 
277 comes out in late feb. The big switch is to an LED backlight. Still no USB 3 which is lame.

As for the status of the mac pros, I honestly wouldn't put any stock in the ETA, it ships when it ships. Annoying.
 
Hopefully they ship before the Haswell Xeons are out.


Isnt it funny that now we have the Apple Mac Pro in vogue again as far as future chip replacements ;)

Oh how things change.

Im just happy to be able to order one ;)
 
OWC has successfully performed "enlargement surgery" :smilielol5:on the new MacPro by upgrading the CPU to a higher spec'd Xeon with a 15mb cache. 30% initial increase in performance. That could easily go up to 50% or more with upcoming software optimizations and better CPUs.
 
If this chip is 10% faster than the stock 8 core from Apple when running flat out ... I am going to cancel my existing order and pick up a stock 4 core!

Processor : E5-2667V2
Cores : 8
Threads : 16
Clock Speed : 3.3 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency : 4 GHz
Cache : 25 MB

AJ
 
If this chip is 10% faster than the stock 8 core from Apple when running flat out ... I am going to cancel my existing order and pick up a stock 4 core!

It's not quite so simple. Base clock is 3.3GHz for the E5-2667 V2 vs. the 3.0GHz for the E5-1680 V2 that Apple is using. The unfortunate truth here is that the 2667 V2 chip is only $60 less than the 12-core E5-2697 V2 when bought in bulk cartons. It's not really 10% faster either. It is 10% faster when operating all 8 cores under full load. When operating fewer cores, the chips are a lot closer since the E5-1680 8 core has some faster turbo speed boosting when using 4 or 6 cores. If I were to upgrade, then for about the same money as the E5-2667 V2, you can get the E5-2690 V2 which is the 10-core 3.0GHz. Pretty much the same speed as the 8-core option Apple gives us, just a tad slower for the top-end turbo speed and it gives us two more cores.

Anyway, I have my 8-core on order and will leave it. I'll probably order a very basic configuration in the near future and do my own upgrades. Seems to me that a quad-core with upgraded D700 GPUs and the 1TB SSD is a good option. Put in your own RAM and CPU of choice.

I kinda wish Apple would have offered the faster 8-core and the 10-core chip options. OTOH, they would have both been priced within $150 or less of the 12-core and would have just left most customers scratching their heads. Apple chose a nicely diverse selection of 4 different CPUs. Can't really complain. For many of us with specific needs, Apple's choices are not really the best options we could have.

Intel will also be releasing some additional CPUs later this year, probably in June or so. Should have a faster 12-core option and a 10-core addition to the 1600 series that they're using for 8 and fewer core models.
 
Geekbench puts my 2010 12 core a little higher than the new 8 Core. I have a PCI SSD for the Boot+Appz and 48 GB RAM. Thinking of doing the OWC CPU upgrade to 3.4Ghz 12 Core and maxing RAM out to 128GB. Jeff, I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts on new vs old tower speeds when you've had a chance to compare!
 
Sharp has seriously upped their production of 31.5 inch 4K panels with five models now in production. Perhaps a precursor to something else from Apple like a 4K iMac?
 
No shipping update yet. Whomp whomp.


Same here. I did get the "consolation" email that many seem to be getting about "your Mac Pro is scheduled to ship this month…" blah, blah. Um, whatever, just ship the stupid thing. Apparently the status switching from "Available to ship: January" to "Processing" and back like mine has done is a common occurrence. There doesn't seem to be any indication of just how soon it will ship.
 
Jeff, so ironic that you comment on the 2690 V2. After I got news from OWC on the swap I scoured the net this afternoon for the best 2690V2 pricing. Came up with $1900 which leaves ~$2300 price difference vs the 12 Core apple (fully loaded from them) if you do CPU and RAM upgrades on your own. DDR3 1866Mhz runs us about $600 for 64GB around here for reference. So its $7548 vs $9848.

I think I'm gonna aim for the 4 core and dig into that trashcan. Perhaps maybe even try snagging an ES chip for dirt cheap and seeing what she can do.
 
Thanks Jeff,

I haven't read of any leaks about faster 10c and 12c based lga2011 socket in the pipeline.

I now have to choose between:
i) buying a stock 4c + upgrade to a (~6% faster at full tilt than stock 8c) E5-2667 v2 or
ii) buying a stock 6c and hoping a ~3GHz 12c comes out.

AJ

Intel will also be releasing some additional CPUs later this year, probably in June or so. Should have a faster 12-core option and a 10-core addition to the 1600 series that they're using for 8 and fewer core models.
 
I have a 8-core in order - would I be better off changing it for a 6 or maybe 4 core model instead and do a upgrade later this year from OWC...? And if- do any of you have an idea about a price range of such an upgrade...?
 
Hi Fredrik we will also be offering upgrades and fully upgraded Mac Pros with concurrent warranty support (our warranty lasts as long as remaining applecare and encompasses the entire computer). We were the first to sell upgraded 2009 and 2010 Mac Pros years ago after we had initially done upgrades for our leasing clients. We also offer an over-night option for our warranties where any repairs/replacements are handled overnight which means the world when a machine goes down on a job.

Also, we are offering upgraded versions of the past 5,1 mac pro with full 1 year warranties up to 3.46GHZ (12 cores). You can see some of our performance results at http://barefeats.com/mp12c346.html where our Mac Pro out performs the top of line 6,1 mac pro's in many application specific tasks. We buy back mac pros as well and offer trade-in deals.

I apologize if I am not supposed to plug our company in an open thread but I'm happy to consult anyone on any choices even if they don't relate to our own items. I'm also happy to guide anyone through the upgrade processor for people that like to do it themselves.
 
Same here. I did get the "consolation" email that many seem to be getting about "your Mac Pro is scheduled to ship this month…" blah, blah. Um, whatever, just ship the stupid thing. Apparently the status switching from "Available to ship: January" to "Processing" and back like mine has done is a common occurrence. There doesn't seem to be any indication of just how soon it will ship.

The crappy game I'm having to play is that I have over 8 big motion graphics projects to get done in the next two months, so I'm on the current gen MBP for the time being. But the Mac Pro is in the queue, but even if that ships I may not have my monitors. So it's overlapping delivery estimates. Sigh. First world problems.
 
Same here. I did get the "consolation" email that many seem to be getting about "your Mac Pro is scheduled to ship this month…" blah, blah. Um, whatever, just ship the stupid thing. Apparently the status switching from "Available to ship: January" to "Processing" and back like mine has done is a common occurrence. There doesn't seem to be any indication of just how soon it will ship.


I noticed the new interface for "check Status" page too.
 
Thanks Jeff,

I haven't read of any leaks about faster 10c and 12c based lga2011 socket in the pipeline.

I now have to choose between:
i) buying a stock 4c + upgrade to a (~6% faster at full tilt than stock 8c) E5-2667 v2 or
ii) buying a stock 6c and hoping a ~3GHz 12c comes out.

AJ

LGA 2011 is at the end of its run. Unlikely to be any further chips released for the Mac Pro than what is out now.
 
Back
Top