Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

NEW Final Cut to be Announced at NAB?

I will say the one thing that truly made me scratch my head and can even be seen in the screen grab is that there was no reference to Red Footage......yet they mentioned gopro footage..... WTF if you look at the screen grab you will see they used Arri, Phantom, Go Pro, DSLR(Please God no more!) AJA Ki pro and stedicam, but no Red, or 3D.

This is second-hand through Twitter, but I do remember reading that Arri put direct Final Cut support into the Alexa - I guess that means Alexa saves footage in FCP format and so it's easiest to just slot it into FCP.

It seems possible that Apple is highlighting Arri in the demo because of this.

Doesn't FCP 7 already have native R3D support? If so, I don't see any reason why the new version wouldn't as well.

Like others, I am a bit surprised that Apple is not promising native 5K editing support ... it is like they are not thinking about RED, which seems strange.

D
 
Post moved here from another thread about FCP X:

Making judgments on how FCP X will serve professional editing based on what we've seen thus far is like making a car purchase by just reading brochures.

I'm sure many of you can attest to the fact that it is only AFTER you USE your NLE of choice do you get to appreciate its strengths and weaknesses. Yes, the fear of FCP becoming more pedestrian is valid, but right now, let's hope for the best. At least they are making improvements to begin with and not completely abandoning the pro apps as some people thought they were. If the improvements and changes are not what people want, thank goodness there are other major NLE's to choose from.

FCP7 will still do the job for a lot of people. I think we all know that. We just want our FCP lives to get better. 64-bit and multi-core support in itself is enough to make a lot of users jump for joy.

Thus, peoples' fears could be from what they MAY HAVE removed... if anything at all. We just don't know.

Regarding the GUI... are people upset that it looks like iMovie because the iMovie GUI is ACTUALLY bad, inefficient and unintuitive? Or is it because it potentially gives FCP the IMAGE of a non-pro app? I think this is an important distinction to make. If there's one thing Apple knows how to do pretty darn well, it's making things easy to use. If they spent a ton of resources making iMovie easy to operate, why shouldn't some of that hard work come over to the pros? I've never actually used iMovie, but I hope people are acknowledging whether their iMovie complaints are founded in experience or just ego.

You may be accustomed to the FCP GUI like the back of your hand... but maybe the GUI improvements will make the experience a bit more enjoyable for you... and maybe even require a little less brain power navigating a program so that you can instead spend it on creative decisions.

Just my $0.02... looking forward to seeing the final product in action either way.
 
That's how I'm planning it out too. I'm stoked about both the new FCP and Resolve 8.

Also, Free version of Desolve Lite on my DIT set with RED ROCKET!
 
With respect to support for R3D, DPX, etc. if these things aren't there out of the box (which we don't really know yet), then the details of how smoothly they can be added become very important. If there's a sufficiently flexible mechanism for extending format support, that would, IMO, be better than first-party R3D support. Once Red wrote a plug-in, they could upgrade it at any time, rather than users having to wait for updates from Apple to use new color science, etc. Details about format extensibility probably won't be in whatever marketing promotional Apple posts on the Web -- we'll probably have to wait for Red and others to spend some time kicking the tires on the new release before we really get a handle on this.
 
Ummm...yes. I agree one thing heartily about the support for DPX files...really
 
. Maybe they'll get rid of Color or maybe they'll make it as strong as Resolve.

The only Final Cut Studio application I am willing to make a prediction about? DVD Studio Pro. That is probably gone, or at best not updated.

If you have a real need to make the plastic disks, you need Adobe Encore.

Just stay calm, and look for more information before you make ANY conclusions or decisions about Final Cut Studio or any of its component applications.

And what inside info do you have to support such a thing about color?... I do agree that perhaps DVDSP is gone... it has not seen an update since 2005 I think. that is the reason I moved to Adobe.
 
I particularly liked sunsh**t shot at 13:56......;-)
 
The problem is that no news about the Studio apps could mean just no news, or it could mean no Studio apps. But don't you think Apple would be aware that if they didn't mention them, people would panic that they are missing? I think it's more likely they didn't mention them because they are gone, but with Apple, you never know for certian until the press release is up.

I am hoping the other FCS apps show up as plugins to FCP X. That may be why Apple has gone to a $299 price for FCP X alone, available from the App Store. This allows them to announce Color, or Soundtrack Pro, Compressor, DVD Studio Pro, or possibly even Motion as plugins, also downloadable from the App Store. In the case of Color, the beauty of a plugin is that it would theoretically eliminate prepping a sequence for "Send To" color. When you are ready to color correct, open the Color plugin and a new set of tools appears, or a tab takes you to a new set of windows within FCP. Color correct on the same timeline you edited.

If you want to use another tool for color correction, or audio mix, or compositing, don't buy the plugins.

Tim Eaton
 
I am hoping the other FCS apps show up as plugins to FCP X. That may be why Apple has gone to a $299 price for FCP X alone, available from the App Store. This allows them to announce Color, or Soundtrack Pro, Compressor, DVD Studio Pro, or possibly even Motion as plugins, also downloadable from the App Store. In the case of Color, the beauty of a plugin is that it would theoretically eliminate prepping a sequence for "Send To" color. When you are ready to color correct, open the Color plugin and a new set of tools appears, or a tab takes you to a new set of windows within FCP. Color correct on the same timeline you edited.

If you want to use another tool for color correction, or audio mix, or compositing, don't buy the plugins.

Tim Eaton

If you're looking to change the game this would be the way to do it. Looking at the videos, it would be very easy to integrate Color X in this way...
 
i really like the way of editing, much more visual to me.
but and thats a big but, in a postproduction pipeline there are special apps for certain tasks, like protools or baselight.
will omf export work properly?
will edl and xml work flawlessly?
will it then be able to load whats coming back form CC, VFX , Titling and Sound and work as a true finishing app?
does its render engine do 10 bit RGB.
is there a viewer?
3d?
rocket?


when all these are answered with yes, than thats the killer app.
 
Full FCP X Presentation :

First part :
http://vimeo.com/22329493

Second part :
http://vimeo.com/22341718

Thanks to Emmanuel Pampuri. :-)

Thanks a lot to both of you - great to hear it from the horse's mouth!
I was really impressed by some of those features and can see it as a game changer for 'one-stop-shops'.
The entire presentation was based around cool features that make life a lot easier for the 'Jack of all trades', although strange that there was no mention of what happens when you want to output.
However it says nothing for the kind of productions that don't want one guy doing all the editorial, fX, grading, sound design, mixing and conforming on his own rig.
A great brochure for the home worker, but nothing here for those using professional workflows in the film industry?
 
i really like the way of editing, much more visual to me.
but and thats a big but, in a postproduction pipeline there are special apps for certain tasks, like protools or baselight.
will omf export work properly?
will edl and xml work flawlessly?
will it then be able to load whats coming back form CC, VFX , Titling and Sound and work as a true finishing app?
does its render engine do 10 bit RGB.
is there a viewer?.

Rendering engine works in linear float. I can't imagine it wouldn't process RGB that way as well. The 8-bit RGB limitation in pre-X Final Cut was just a legacy technical issue; there's no reason to expect it to carry over to an entirely new engine, which is what this is.

But yeah, for workflow guys, there are all kinds of questions about crucial details that didn't get answered. Then again, you wouldn't really have expected them to, given the format of the presentation. The fact that they started off the presentation bragging about adoption by broadcasters and post facilities, though, and that they have a couple of actual facilities beta testing, gives me a fair bit of confidence they haven't done anything too silly. Apple is not going to just walk away from this:

fcp_share.jpg


We do have a bunch of in-house tools that do various things with FCP XML files, though, and I'm sort of wondering exactly what's going on internally (and therefore what's reflected in the XML file) with the whole "no rigid tracks" approach.
 
This is a really thorough blog about the event. It helps put a lot of things into perspective.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html
Thanks for sharing Jerrod.

Larry said it very well :

"However, I was told later that the build that was demoed was the same build that was shown in February – and that the application has moved significantly forward since that time. In other words, what we saw tonight was nowhere near the final form of the application.

As one engineer told me at the Cupertino meeting in February, Final Cut Pro is still a work in progress. We’ve seen the outline of the work – the rough cut, if you will. Now we need to give the engineers time to listen to our feedback, polish it up, and deliver the final cut of Final Cut."


We really need to see the final version before making any judgement.
 
Thanks a lot to both of you - great to hear it from the horse's mouth!
I was really impressed by some of those features and can see it as a game changer for 'one-stop-shops'.
The entire presentation was based around cool features that make life a lot easier for the 'Jack of all trades', although strange that there was no mention of what happens when you want to output.
However it says nothing for the kind of productions that don't want one guy doing all the editorial, fX, grading, sound design, mixing and conforming on his own rig.
A great brochure for the home worker, but nothing here for those using professional workflows in the film industry?

If Apple says it's aimed at professionals I think it's a fair bet that it will be aimed at professionals and it's also a fair bet that Apple knows what professional editors do on a daily basis.

I don't know why so many people are dismissive of this FCPX when we know so little about it. I don't know why some of you feel threatened by a new system that is potentially smarter and more intuitive than anything else on the market and I certainly don't understand comments like the one you make about "professional workflows in the film industry"; some of the most work shy amateurs I've ever had the misfortune to meet and some of the dumbest workflows I've encountered have been in post-houses in Soho.

I used to edit with sprocket holes and sticky tape, when Avid and Lightworks came along there was a massive amount of resistance to change among the old guard - I know quite a few who refused to change and either retired or went out of business. In many ways today we are all still transitioning to fully integrated digital workflows, FCPX could be the next step in completing that journey. I hope so.

It seems to me there is an attitude in many people that equates ease of use with amateurism. That's silly. If you want editing to be difficult buy a Moviola and some tape - I've got scars on my hands that are nearly thirty years old and prove how painful editing can be!
 
Looks like a lot of footage used in the FCP demo could be RED, judging by file naming conventions. But probably Alexa since they're pretty similar to RED naming. See the below Apple-provided screens. This means they could well be aware of EPIC, etc. Also, word is that the build we saw last night was compiled in February- right around the EPIC launch. So they will have had 4 months post EPIC release to add in 5k and native RED support. Let the drooling begin...

http://www.larryjordan.biz/assets/blog_images/FCP_Hero_big.jpg

http://www.larryjordan.biz/assets/blog_images/FCP_ColorBoard_big.jpg

http://www.larryjordan.biz/assets/blog_images/FCP_Effects_big.jpg
 
Back
Top