Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

NEW Final Cut to be Announced at NAB?

You can look as hard as you want, but you won't know exactly what features it has or does not have until its released. We are all weary of anything "Automated", but a lot of the Automatic features, like scene to scene color matching, HUD interactive image manipulation etc already exist automated in Smoke but with manual functionality. They work really well. Who is to say it wont work well in FCPX.
 
Is FCP X going to be able to share its timeline with other component of
the suite or perhaps other suitably written programs instead of having
to export and then re import i.e. will we be able to quickly transfer to a
dedicated color, effects or audio component refine and adjustment, and
then continue with the edit.

I'd guess the functionality is similar to that of the 'Share' command in the current Final Cut. Basically, it's just for creating various sorts of deliverables (web, DVD, etc.).

In terms of the menus Apple got rid of, I don't think you can read much into that. The traditional FCP interface dates from before OS X. Interfaces were more menu-centric then, and have been moving more towards toolbars and inline controls in the years since. FCP X simply follows that pattern.
 
If true, it looks pretty cool. Definitely gets me excited to see what Apple has coming up in the FCP-X as well as all the various "Studio" apps. :thumbup1:

People with better knowledge than me on other boards seem to be saying there wont be any other 'studio' apps. FCP X is it. Any plug ins or other apps will be third party written which I guess if its all as good as Red can produce that may be a good thing. Who knows till it's all rolled out.
 
People with better knowledge than me on other boards seem to be saying there wont be any other 'studio' apps. FCP X is it. Any plug ins or other apps will be third party written which I guess if its all as good as Red can produce that may be a good thing. Who knows till it's all rolled out.

I have to completely and totally disagree. While your "people" may have better knowledge than you, what they are saying is VERY suspect. I attended the SuperMeet presentation and the things some folks were saying afterward were laughable. Apple said absolutely nothing about the other apps and they made it clear that their only intent was to preview FCP-X. So many assumptions were made by less informed individuals but with absolutely nothing to back it up.

The idea that Apple jettisoned the other applications, to me, is absurd. Nobody walks away from that kind of a franchise. In the end, the other apps may not come in a "studio" but they will be there in some manner. While it is complete conjecture on my part, I can imagine Soundtrack Pro being absorbed into Logic, Compressor's capabilities being integrated into FCP, and DVD Studio Pro being canned. But I believe that Motion and Color will be upgraded and made part of a closely coordinated "set." Perhaps they'll even appear as plug-ins. In any case, I'd bet that they will be there.
 
The idea that Apple jettisoned the other applications, to me, is absurd. Nobody walks away from that kind of a franchise. In the end, the other apps may not come in a "studio" but they will be there in some manner. While it is complete conjecture on my part, I can imagine Soundtrack Pro being absorbed into Logic, Compressor's capabilities being integrated into FCP, and DVD Studio Pro being canned. But I believe that Motion and Color will be upgraded and made part of a closely coordinated "set." Perhaps they'll even appear as plug-ins. In any case, I'd bet that they will be there.[/QUOTE]

Strange that they should can DVD Studio Pro and not replace it with anything similar. Does not make sense to me. Must have something to finish my work to DVD on. Why go and get a third party software to do it?
 
Strange that they should can DVD Studio Pro and not replace it with anything similar. Does not make sense to me. Must have something to finish my work to DVD on. Why go and get a third party software to do it?

Steve Jobs has been very vocal about Blu-Ray being, as he put it I believe, "a bag of hurt." So, I don't think they are going that direction. Apple has also made it clear they believe the future of media delivery is online. Like I said, it's pure conjecture on my part but they also didn't rev DVD-SP last time around either. Hey, maybe they'll adopt something based on REDRay! :001_smile:
 
Steve Jobs has been very vocal about Blu-Ray being, as he put it I believe, "a bag of hurt." So, I don't think they are going that direction. Apple has also made it clear they believe the future of media delivery is online. Like I said, it's pure conjecture on my part but they also didn't rev DVD-SP last time around either. Hey, maybe they'll adopt something based on REDRay! :001_smile:

What exactly would they do to DVD SP to make it better, the only thing left for it is Blu-ray disc authoring.
Steve may have said it's a bag of hurt but Steve says a lot and I'm sure someone down at apple has their minds on making it not a bag of hurt.
 
What exactly would they do to DVD SP to make it better, the only thing left for it is Blu-ray disc authoring.
Steve may have said it's a bag of hurt but Steve says a lot and I'm sure someone down at apple has their minds on making it not a bag of hurt.

Apple's plan is to make Apple TV come true and there's no need for Blu Ray then
 
I have to completely and totally disagree. While your "people" may have better knowledge than you, what they are saying is VERY suspect. I attended the SuperMeet presentation and the things some folks were saying afterward were laughable. Apple said absolutely nothing about the other apps and they made it clear that their only intent was to preview FCP-X. So many assumptions were made by less informed individuals but with absolutely nothing to back it up.

The idea that Apple jettisoned the other applications, to me, is absurd. Nobody walks away from that kind of a franchise. In the end, the other apps may not come in a "studio" but they will be there in some manner. While it is complete conjecture on my part, I can imagine Soundtrack Pro being absorbed into Logic, Compressor's capabilities being integrated into FCP, and DVD Studio Pro being canned. But I believe that Motion and Color will be upgraded and made part of a closely coordinated "set." Perhaps they'll even appear as plug-ins. In any case, I'd bet that they will be there.

No one will be more pleased than me if the other apps appear in an updated and improved form whether integrated in to FCP X or not. Its very important to us for all sorts of reasons. Thus far theres been no sign of it which is odd, the only post I've seen the the link to motion 5 which is encouraging but what of the other apps. But then this is just speculation on my part born of frustration, we need to know its important.
 
Apple walked away from Shake which was pretty much the industry standard desktop compositing tool.

Yes. And it was right. Shake needed a whole re-write and Nuke was already out. Besides this, node-based compositing is a very small niche-market. Apple sees the big picture. FCP is everywhere when it come to editing video, regardless how high the level is and in which corner of the globe you are. It is a de-facto industry standard. All the other apps in the FCS suite are all but not an industry standard. Motion never took off, Soundtrack never worked as expected and Color, besides the fact that only a small percentage of all FCS users launched it even once, is only a springboard, a teasing app. to more useful tools like Scratch, Smoke, SpeedGrade and of course Resolve.

I can very well imagine that Apple drops the suite. At least we will be able to purchase FCP-X for 300 USD as a stand-alone app. That alone may show in which direction Apple is heading.

Hans
 
Apple walked away from Shake which was pretty much the industry standard desktop compositing tool.
I think Apple's view of the product was different than that of users. Shake was picked up for its technology, not for the product itself. A lot of that had - and will - find its way into FCP, FCP X, Motion, etc. When Apple bought Nothing Real (Shake) the business model included a subscription/support model and Apple was unwilling and uninterested in continuing that. That's when the price dropped the first time. Mainly because Apple knew that people paying thousands for the software expected more from a vendor than Apple was interested in supplying.

- Oliver
 
Have they commented on minimum system requirements? Currently CS5.5 and FCS run fairly dandy on even entry-level MBPs; I'd hate to see the system requirements for FCX restrict it to only 15" and above.

What about a physical/disc copy?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top