Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

NEW Final Cut to be Announced at NAB?

Do we know if FCPX reads R3Ds natively? We have a FCSvr workflow and if FCSvr will read R3Ds natively our life will change!
 
I don't get how anyone can jump to so many conclusions who wasn't even there. I was there and sat through every minute of the presentation and I can promise you, not a single world was spoken about Motion, Color, Soundtrack Pro, Compressor, or DVD studio Pro - not a SINGLE word. So, how does that automatically mean they are dead?? Is it possible, sure. But let's wait and see, eh There is certainly nothing that would suggest you might not still be able to send a timeline out to these apps. I'll be as disappointed as anyone if they EOL the Studio but, like I said, let's not jump to crazy conclusions when we know absolutely NOTHING! :banghead:
 
I am quite disappointed too.

I mean, everything seems to work well, the new interface is appealing but... Like it has been said : it doesn't look like Final Cut PRO anymore. I'm french, I haven't certainly find all the videos about FCP X yet on the internet but... Where are those fucking Mark IN/Mark OUT/Mark clip buttons ? Tell me we can still do those BASIC operations !
And tell that the "everything is automatic" stuff can be managed... Desabled.

I think that Adobe will take some market shares now... And Avid will keep it.

Damn ! I am supposed to pass the Apple Final Cut Pro user Certification in about a month and we told our school that we wanted to wait the new version so to stay up to date !
 
I was there and sat through the entire presentation. I run Avids and FCP and am waiting with baited breath for Lightworks on Mac - and never totally happy with FCP because I always seemed a little too much like a toy to me - but I have to say I think this update is great.

Yes, all the auto stuff can be disabled. Yes, even if you have it set to on, nothing is baked in, it's all metadata and can be modified later on. Yes, there was a lot of mouse work going on but the guy stressed there are keyboard shortcuts only he wasn't using them because it was a demo. No, there was no mention either way about the others in the FCS suite - so who knows. They were specifically talking about FCP alone.

I can really see this as a great edit tool as well as, potentially, a fine finishing tool. There are still a few too many things unclear to be totally sure but I would certainly be surprised to see anyone migrate away from FCP over this update. More the opposite. For instance, we were shown how well it speeds up footage but not how it looks with a slow-down. Maybe that will rely on a plugin. Also, despite things I'm being told, I can't help but read the total omission of any reference to Red or R3d's as an indication that we are talking about 4k ProRes. But, for that, we'll have to wait and see.

All in all, cheer up - it's a number of big steps forward. A long way forward. Save up your 300 bucks and get in line early - but don't forget how to transcode R3d's to ProRes.
 
Just got back to the hotel after seeing the FCP X demo/release and id have to say the overall vibe was excitement and amazement. However everyone was left wanting more. A lot of questions were left unanswered. I really wish they had done a Q&A but thats not really apples style. What I can say is that if this new direction apple is going carries over into all the workflows and tools that we are use to, it will truly be a revolutionary tool, I think to some point as creative individuals we will always be left wanting, regardless of the latest and greatest, but apple has the potential of coming damn close to satisfying us for a while or at least editors. After much discussion with other users the consensus is that apple wont leave us hanging. To me it seem they have really thought out how an editor works and have tried to make the best possible tool for that craft. As for the rest of the suite i think for most, the only app that would really be missed is Color, however since davinci came along i personally have not opened it once and dont miss it a bit, and honestly I just havent got around to uninstalling it. I never even installed motion, or soundtrack. I cant think of one audio pro I know who uses it. And while some have liked motion its my opinion that it is strong in to little to be a worth the learning curve, especially since it can only take you so far, were as other programs you invest time in leaning actually feel endless in there capability, like nuke.

I will say the one thing that truly made me scratch my head and can even be seen in the screen grab is that there was no reference to Red Footage......yet they mentioned gopro footage..... WTF if you look at the screen grab you will see they used Arri, Phantom, Go Pro, DSLR(Please God no more!) AJA Ki pro and stedicam, but no Red, or 3D. Although Im not to sad about 3D as im not the biggest fan. But thats a whole other rant, all ill say is that 3D was huge this year at NAB and for the life of me I cant figure it out. (Please someone explain or share your opinion. I seriously have a difficult time seeing the attraction) It cant possibly be the futre. The best looking demo at NAB was Red's Short "Tattoo" shot on EPIC in 2D it was beautifully done. Oh and i liked barcos 4k projector(i think it was barco), but there whole demo was Red footage too...not to mention drowned out by ambient light. Mabey its just me.. anyways sorry to detour. To sum up my experience it felt like the first time we got our Red One, There is so much potential.
 
WTF if you look at the screen grab you will see they used Arri, Phantom, Go Pro, DSLR(Please God no more!) AJA Ki pro and stedicam, but no Red, or 3D.

If you look closely at the screen shot, you'll also see that the Phantom footage was NOT native RAW Phantom footage - but a ProRes file labelled as Phantom footage!

It's a demo though so I give them the benefit of the doubt :)

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com
 
Just got back to the hotel after seeing the FCP X demo/release and id have to say the overall vibe was excitement and amazement. However everyone was left wanting more. A lot of questions were left unanswered. I really wish they had done a Q&A but thats not really apples style. What I can say is that if this new direction apple is going carries over into all the workflows and tools that we are use to, it will truly be a revolutionary tool, I think to some point as creative individuals we will always be left wanting, regardless of the latest and greatest, but apple has the potential of coming damn close to satisfying us for a while or at least editors. After much discussion with other users the consensus is that apple wont leave us hanging. To me it seem they have really thought out how an editor works and have tried to make the best possible tool for that craft. As for the rest of the suite i think for most, the only app that would really be missed is Color, however since davinci came along i personally have not opened it once and dont miss it a bit, and honestly I just havent got around to uninstalling it. I never even installed motion, or soundtrack. I cant think of one audio pro I know who uses it. And while some have liked motion its my opinion that it is strong in to little to be a worth the learning curve, especially since it can only take you so far, were as other programs you invest time in leaning actually feel endless in there capability, like nuke.

I will say the one thing that truly made me scratch my head and can even be seen in the screen grab is that there was no reference to Red Footage......yet they mentioned gopro footage..... WTF if you look at the screen grab you will see they used Arri, Phantom, Go Pro, DSLR(Please God no more!) AJA Ki pro and stedicam, but no Red, or 3D. Although Im not to sad about 3D as im not the biggest fan. But thats a whole other rant, all ill say is that 3D was huge this year at NAB and for the life of me I cant figure it out. (Please someone explain or share your opinion. I seriously have a difficult time seeing the attraction) It cant possibly be the futre. The best looking demo at NAB was Red's Short "Tattoo" shot on EPIC in 2D it was beautifully done. Oh and i liked barcos 4k projector(i think it was barco), but there whole demo was Red footage too...not to mention drowned out by ambient light. Mabey its just me.. anyways sorry to detour. To sum up my experience it felt like the first time we got our Red One, There is so much potential.

"all ill say is that 3D was huge this year at NAB and for the life of me I cant figure it out. (Please someone explain or share your opinion. I seriously have a difficult time seeing the attraction) It cant possibly be the futre."


Let me break it down to you in business speak...

3D 48Hz = two weeks of unadulterated Box office profit if the content is good

2K, 4K, etc at 24 p = smart-ass kid with iphone rips off my print and posts it on warez sites for free same day
 
It is too little information to jump to conclusions. My first question is - can it edit 5K Epic R3Ds natively?
 
In the photo you can see proress files, h264 and Alexa's prores! No r3d, so maybe it isn't finished yet, also there are no dpx or tiff still sequences. I like the new features, but it looks to me that a lot of them are aimed to hdslr shooters. The interface really reminds me of edius from canopus, but simpler.

I am not a big fan of automatic or "easy" workflows, some things really require time and work. I will wait to see the full list of features and specifications. There are lots of questions to be answered before anyone can make a decission. Some of the features i didn't understand, like, why is there background rendering if it is realtime? We need some hands on time with it, let's wait till june.

I have my M-X and my own red centric post house, so if it doesn't support native r3d with metadata control i will keep using PPro.
 
Some interesting points being made.

I think, based on the information from the internet, Twitter and those from our fellow REDUser's (Bettsy / JC etc. BTW - Thanks guys for your reports!) there are some nice enhancements to FCPX. Apple sounds like its done what Apple does best, leaves people always wanting more. If there was no mention of the other Pro Apps in the Studio Suite, then lets just see what happens, after all, it was a FCP Supermeet and the focus would be on FCPX.

Everyone is going to have their own preferred way of working and Apps that they use, so as Jim has said many times before, we should all just chill and respect each others opinions. There is no ONE way of working in this industry. Some people like FCP, some AVID. Some people like doing color correction in Color, Davinci, Quantel Pablo. Just like we all use RED One's in our own ways, we all use post solutions in different ways.

I for one will upgrade and get the new FCPX as the price tag is appealing, but I will also take the Avid price offer of $995 cause I also think that is a steal. Its always good to have as many tools are you can cause each tool will help in different situations. Its like RedCineX and Storm - each has their own place.

Lets see what other information comes out over the next few months before launch - things change... count on it (have I heard those words before??), and as with all Apple announcements, nothing is set in stone until the products are actually released.

Steve
 
Way too less information to get overexcited now - certain stuff sure is nice... but to be honest - that's all stuff where FCP was not on top the last 1-2 years and people were requesting that stuff for way too long now... I'd rather call it "ok, good - why not earlier", "way overdue" or simply "yeah - we wanted some of that, but where is the new stuff you'd call innovation?" ...I see a cleaner interface, I see better speeds and 64bit, I see better Metadata-handling with filebased workflows, better nested sequences (hopefully), more "auto-corrections" (good or not - If I can turn it off I don't mind). A bit of iMovie here, a bit of iPhoto or Aperture there... But I think I've missed the changes that reach deeper (despite of speed enhancements).

From what I see now I'd rather compare it to the Update from Leopard to Snow Leopard - sure nice and with the big price drop you really can't complain -> but new OS experience?

But as mentioned - let's wait and see...
At the moment I personally don't have the best feeling (e.g. because I also don't like the whole "app store" thing) but I'm sure they're now getting lots of feedback during the further process so I'll give them a chance. The price sure is appealing, the interface and how you work with it looks not too bad... I'll see if it will be my tool of choice when it arrives. Right now - I don't know. And we didn't get the background-information we may need -> the whole Quicktime(X) integration story and so on...
 
Here are the main bullet points

The name is Final Cut Pro X
64 bit
Unlimited menory
Uses Open CLI and Grand Central Dispatch
Color fully managed with ColorSync
Resolution independent playback system up to 4K
Mix & match all content in timeline without transcoding
No rendering, it does it in the background using every available CPU cycle
Can plug into cameras and edit whilst ingesting
Non destructive color balance on ingest
Stabilisation on ingest
Audio cleanup on ingest
People and shot detection
Range based keywording - metadata attached to part of a clip
Smart collections - like smart folders
Clip connections, primary and secondary media locking together
Magnetic timeline -moves audio out of the way to avoid collisions.
Single keystroke nesting
Compound clips - collapse clips into a single clip
Inline precision editor - simplifies trimming of clips
Auditioning - sampling of different versions of edits
'Skimming' media previews when you move the cursor over
iMovie like filmstrip view
Timeline Index- an index of all the clips in the timeline
Sync clips with Plural Eyes style featue (Not Plural Eyes)
Automatic control of number of tracks - add and go when needed
Pitch corrected audio skimming
Waveforms show levels in realtime
Retiming in the timeline
One click to match color between clips
New advanced color correction
Improved keyframing, bezier paths and curve display in the timeline
Color & Soundtrack now in FCPX
Ships in June $299 on the App Store

That's pretty much everything I expected, including the release on the App Store in June. I do find it unsatisfactory that Apple tantalises us with product announcements like this. We've already had the advance party of self-proclaimed "star editors" telling us how awesome the product is. That was enough of a tease. It's time to get up on the stage and whip all your kit off Apple...
 
If Color is dead can they just sell the corpse to Adobe or Redgiant?
 
If Color is dead can they just sell the corpse to Adobe or Redgiant?

Who says Colour is dead? Just because they didn't show it at this short demo doesn't mean that they've stopped developing it... I'd wait until closer to the release date to find out.

But at this point I don't really care a great deal - Colour used to be something I really wanted but now I think I'll probably just use DaVinci Resolve (the free version at first and then probably eventually upgrading to the full version). As for Soundtrack Pro - I've already got Logic so no problems there.

That actually goes for the whole of this product - I see a lot of people on blogs and forums freaking out and assuming that Apple have removed every feature from FCP based on a blurry photo of a projected screenshot of a beta product... It's just stupid.

UPDATE: Stay Tuned' for other Final Cut Studio apps

Also, screenshot.
 
This NAB has been the best example yet of what a double edged sword micro blogging has become. It's easy to get information out there, but it's also almost impossible to stop the rapid spread of mis-information and panic. I really don't envy anyone trying to manage a structured release of information to clients and customers.

FWIW, I'd say - on the basis of the limited information divulged by Apple - that FCPx looks like a very significant step in the right direction. The one thing I think you can say for sure is that their development resources have been focused in the right areas, which bodes well for the product as a whole. Other than that I'll wait for mature and savvy response to NAB from the FXGuide crew.
 
And what will happen to the Apple On Campus program ?
I'm elligible for that program until December 31 2011. Will there be any discount price for people like me ? (I know that the price is already LOW, as was it for the complete package in Final Cut Studio 3)
 
I will be happy with FCP X and Resolve 8 back and forth. Especially with RED ROCKET and Decklink 4K.
 
Realistically, say you shot the whole feature and ending up the footage exceed 3TB. I won't tell the editor to drag the whole 3TB of footage with her/his MacBook Pro to edit offline nor use RED ROCKET to edit. I would simply transcode the whole footage to Prores Proxy (3TB converting can be done in less than two days with properly sleeping between). Then the editor can edit with entire footage on the MacBook Pro to edit in 1080. Then take the XML or the project and conform to the R3D, then send it to Davinci Resolve. Resolve can color grade in native R3D with RED ROCKET acceleration and the Resolve version 8 will even do 4K monitoring and stabilizing. After grading then you can render them out and send them to FCP X with Decklink 4K (or even with HD versions) for online editing now that FCP X will be improved on the color handling (with hopefully proper display profiles). I'm stoked that I don't have to switch to Premiere or Avid.
 
Back
Top