Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

NATURAL HISTORY CINEMATOGRAPHY

The camera finally starts being usable. I got the dovetail, bridgeplate, lens support and rods a few days ago. I haven't tried it yet. So I wouldn't know how steady it is in wind. It definitely feel pretty solid. But I'm sure it's far from yours Mauricio.

lVrdB-1DSQyXQkpUgBrhXYYgLo9IQ0hvlib7I0_AlDBNWQFFKDxyVdEuJL9_3L3bxuPuAO-jG4pubhg=w1896-h945-rw


I don't know how the motor work with this lens as it's pretty new to me. Could any of you explain it to me?

MapIQHQKeOpGgPOCZPTX-6TYW2BdwEvZURzppg2LsoE7laPQmlmzVUfUEUIblMswHa5WPHjTwS41GC4=w1896-h945-rw


:smiley:
 
Is that the Heden servo motor on the 150-600? Big and bulky thing that needs power and a control unit I seem to remember. Never knew anyone to use one in the field - think those that did were on big budget dramas and maybe sports.
Steve
 
Carlito- your photos are not showing - can you re-upload or send directly to me if they are? thanks - dp@aquaterrafilms.com
 
Hi All,

I thought I'd post some stills from a recent holiday up the South African garden route. I was travelling with family and friends so there was not much time for filming, but I managed to sneak off now and then. Some animals in captivity, some wild. All shot with the Sigma 300-800, some with a 1.4x teleconverter. Mix of LLO and STH OLPF.

Cheers,
Rob
 

Attachments

  • A001_C002_07286Q.539.0000539F.jpg
    A001_C002_07286Q.539.0000539F.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • A001_C005_0728M2.34.0000034F.jpg
    A001_C005_0728M2.34.0000034F.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
  • A001_C016_072827.105.0000105F.jpg
    A001_C016_072827.105.0000105F.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
  • A001_C027_0728WD.11.0000011F.jpg
    A001_C027_0728WD.11.0000011F.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for not answering sooner. I'm preparing to move to Bristol in a few weeks. So I've been really swamped. I don't know Steve. I don't think it's much heavier then one with only a PL-mount. I really like having the big focus ring for getting critical focus.
 
I think that you've captured some really nice holiday shots Robert Hofmeyr! Great to be able to bring such a big lens on a family trip.

Could I ask you guys something else? This may not be the right t thread for such a question, since it's not a cinematography question. If you do think I should post it somewhere else. Then don't hesitate to say so.

How do you guys offload footage, DIT, back up and/or archive your footage when you are out in the field working? What sort of hardware and software do you use?

I was thinking of a 15" MacBook Pro with Lacie Rugged Disks attached. The problem is that I don't think that I will be able to play my footage from a Rugged Disk. I thought I could have the computer and disks in a small Peli case, in order to keep it safe from the elements.
 
Thanks Carlito,

I do wish there was an easier solution for field backups. Ideally a camera module that takes removable standard SSDs or spinning drives with a method for backing up the mag in the camera, and playing back the footage from the backup drive. Perhaps now that Weapon has been opened to some third party module manufacturers, someone will come up with something.

At present I lug around a Macbook Pro, Redmag reader, and a couple of Western Digital My Passport drives. I don't get realtime playback from the external drives but at 1/16th it's not too painful (I'd guess I get about 2/3rds realtime). I sometimes use CopyVerified to copy the clips to the drive, but usually I just drag and drop and check the folder sizes and maybe play back a couple of the shots in Redcine. I'm just starting out shooting nature footage so I'm shooting mostly to improve my skills, so I normally don't even make a second copy. I do sometimes copy some of my best shots back onto the internal drive for safety, and I don't format mags until just before I'm going to use them. I also carry a thumb drive with backup firmware, presets, Redcine, RedUndead, etc. in case my computer goes down and I need to borrow someone else's.
 
I'm also pretty new at filming wildlife Robert. It sounds like your workflow is very similar to mine. Though I use Resolve and not Redcine. Some sort of RAID 5 solution would have been really great. Both for security and playability. But all hard drive enclosures that can handle 4 or more disks get really heavy and also quite large.
 
There's plenty of 2.5" four disk raids that are small. I use an AKiTiO Thunder 2 Quad Mini
http://www.akitio.com/portable-storage/akitio-thunder2-quad-mini

I'm also pretty new at filming wildlife Robert. It sounds like your workflow is very similar to mine. Though I use Resolve and not Redcine. Some sort of RAID 5 solution would have been really great. Both for security and playability. But all hard drive enclosures that can handle 4 or more disks get really heavy and also quite large.
 
Hi everyone. Just wanted to update a bit the forum with this little piece on Kingfisher that I shot few months ago. I know that its already a very well documented subject but anyways here´s our take on it.Shot on the Epic. Hope you like it. Cheers!
https://vimeo.com/140278510
 
Gorgeous piece Alberto! The work really shows in your underwater cam placement too. Thanks for sharing.
 
Back
Top