Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Marking a Clip While Filming

Matt Paul Catalano

Active member
Joined
Oct 1, 2014
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
NYC / Hawaii
I'm doing some filming that is not really pre-planned. Trying to capture something that happens and not sure if it will be a keeper until after it happens. I know I can do pre-record but is there another way to MARK a clip or RATE a clip in the Red menu system while in the field so that when you import the clips into Red Cine X you can quickly sort and delete the clips that are not keepers?
 
In setup-> keys assign yourself a user button to the function 'record: mark frame'

This will allow you to place any number of markers within a clip in realtime as you roll. The markers show up in RCX.
 
If you have a DSMC2 side handle you can use the star ⭐️ button that is assigned to "Mark frame" by default.
I will put marker on the exact time where you pressed the button.... so needs to be done while recording and cannot be done after the shot like you would 'circle' a take on a script's report.

Camera playback and REDCINE-X will show all the markers... and FWIW foolcontrol app also shows a 'Mark Frame' button as soon as you are recording and as far as I know this function is disabled when using pre-record (unless it changed recently)
 
Thank you for all the responses. I guess there's not a way to mark a whole clip or rate a clip (1 to 5 stars) yet with the Sidekick or side handle, just mark a specific time in a clip.
 
Right.
Obviously the camera will not let you modify the raw file after recording and unfortunately it does not (yet ?) create a sidecar file to store additional metadata like rating or circled takes...
 
Back
Top